Nick Drake (1 Viewer)

Pick one

• Total voters

nlgbbbblth

Frozen in time since 12:34am on January 1 1982
Website
www.nlgbbbblth.wordpress.com
Click!

Has the documentary and 108 page book (apparently available separately in 2008).
10,000 CD
2,000 LP

Doubts / confusion about the inclusion of Time Of No Reply though.
Was supposed to be SACD too.

Who knows ? (where the time goes)

Nick_drake_way_to_blue.jpg

what was the name of the record shop on georges street that had that poncho hanging on the back wall???

my oul one used to have an embarrassing photo of me sitting beside his grave on one of the shelves in their gaff. actually it wasn't that bad it's just the long hair.....

I think Five Leaves Left is probably his best all-round album in terms of consistency and exploring different styles etc.. Bryter Layter has some stunning songs but it's let down by the shopping channel instrumentals and dodgy arrangements on a couple of other tunes. Pink Moon is the kind of album that you don't feel like playing very often but it nails one particular atmosphere so well that if you're in the right mood for it it's pretty much perfect. Some great songs on the Made to Love Magic comp also- Black Eyed Dog, Clothes of Sand, Joey..

what was the name of the record shop on georges street that had that poncho hanging on the back wall???

my oul one used to have an embarrassing photo of me sitting beside his grave on one of the shelves in their gaff. actually it wasn't that bad it's just the long hair.....

the inappropriately named 'smile records'; owned by one of the grumpiest, most condesending cunts ever to sell a scratched bob dylan record.
he had a whole shrine to nick drake!

the inappropriately named 'smile records'; owned by one of the grumpiest, most condesending cunts ever to sell a scratched bob dylan record.
he had a whole shrine to nick drake!

Some people got okay with guy - often saw them laughing and chatting with him.
Depends on who you are I suppose.

I bought plenty records off him over the years and never got a smile off him. I musn't have been 'the right type of customer'.

was this the curly headed fella? i got smiles all the time but never any words at all except one time when he couldnt find the roy harper lp i was trying to buy and he said "cant find it"

was this the curly headed fella? i got smiles all the time but never any words at all except one time when he couldnt find the roy harper lp i was trying to buy and he said "cant find it"

he was always nice to me

I asked him about the blanket once and he kept me talking for ages, maybe that was it. I sort of miss Smile, it was completely random, but you could find some great stuff.

Amusingly he had a closing down sale towards the end that actually made him so much money he considered not closing down at all

i liked it too, it was a nice shop, i miss it*. i remember sending a few texts to people about the closing down sale, i think most of the good stuff was gone by the time i got there. a friend bought a load of late-period incredible string band records which nobody in there right minds ought to buy

*nick drake on the otherhand...

I'd go for Five Leaves Left, if just for Cello Song and Fruit Tree. Loved Pink Moon too, but it's such a sad document it's not something you can listen to too often. Always really liked the stuff on Time Of No Reply. I got a really crappy tape of it years ago and always felt like it was something that was unearthed and few had heard. Magic indeed.

I'd go for Five Leaves Left, if just for Cello Song and Fruit Tree. Loved Pink Moon too, but it's such a sad document it's not something you can listen to too often. Always really liked the stuff on Time Of No Reply. I got a really crappy tape of it years ago and always felt like it was something that was unearthed and few had heard. Magic indeed.
HERE DONAL DINEEN... STOP USING WHEELS'S COMPUTER.

CELLOQUAANNNDO!!!

five leaves left for me; it's the one I'd put on most, love the strings. Really love all 3 studio albums really, but i agree with most of what Richie said -
Time of no reply is a good compo too.

Pink moon for me,as an album its just perfect,so short and minimal.Nowt bar guitar and vocals (and the piano on pink moon).It just sounds so fully realised,I dont think there is a thing you could possibly add to any of the songs to better them.*

*Although,I did hear a picked version of place to be,which was as amazing as the album version

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back