New Music You're Listening To (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I'm not sure either, it's a bit stock. I'm a relatively enormous Murdoch fan too, but I'm just not overly impressed.

Open Strings - Early Virtuoso Recordings From The Middle East, And New Responses 4LP on honest jons w/rick bishop, paul metzger, charlie parr, steffen basho-junghans, etc. on the 'responses' 2lp

34152.jpg

the album is awful, boring flat production, uninspired singing form vocalists who probably aren't as good as they think they are and a sheeny poxy gloss to it that would expect on an Eleanor McEvoy/Norah Jones album

bangs of a really cynical attempt at finding a mainstream "one CD a year" market

God Help The Girl - Stuart Murdoch's new thing. First single is a bit meh really. http://www.myspace.com/pleasegodhelpthegirl

http://pitchfork.com/features/interviews/7656-god-help-the-girl/

projekt transmit - s/t (on staubgold). solo album from the necks' percussionist who plays guitar, drums and sings. very different from his s.c.u.b.a. cd!

112.jpg

Adam D Mills (messandnoise) said:
Tony Buck 
project TRANSMIT 9 Track, LP Project Transmit probably isn’t the album most people expected Tony Buck to make, especially not those only familiar with him as the drummer with freeform jazz trio The Necks. An exploration of rock’s minimal underbelly, it has more in common with Shellac than any kind of jazz. At every turn, Project Transmit offers up a new surprise. Buck turns Bob Dylan’s ‘Masters of War’ on its head, carving an aggressively hypnotic dirge out of the oft-covered peace anthem. There are shades of The Cure lurking inside the shimmering ‘Kayla’, traces of June of 44 in ‘Blood’s combination of propulsive rhythm section and disjointed guitar. Then there’s the jangly indie-pop of ‘Follow You’, the measured stomp of ‘Love You’ and the meditative swirl of closer ‘Time’. There’s an immediacy to these tracks, a certain visceral quality, that Buck has never really explored in The Necks. The focus here is very much on the guitar. Buck’s playing is kinetic; a collision of heavy, muscular grooves and glistening harmonics. His drumming is largely restrained, content to take a back seat for the album’s bulk, only rarely breaking out (as on ‘Kayla’). Vocally, Buck tends towards low-key repetitive phrases, with the odd exception (his venomous delivery on ‘Masters of War’, the sweet melodies of ‘Follow You’). Don’t go into Project Transmit expecting anything even resembling The Necks, or there’s a good chance you’ll come out disappointed. But listened to in its own right, removed from all context and preconceptions, Project Transmit is a brilliant album of agitated, abrasive noise rock.

projekt transmit - s/t (on staubgold). solo album from the necks' percussionist who plays guitar, drums and sings. very different from his s.c.u.b.a. cd!
on heavy rotation all weekend. brings to mind swans, sonic youth, yo la tengo, recent t.o.t.elements, mbv, bottomless pit... great, great record.

also:
- new rick bishop lp on drag city. full band sound, loads of arabic covers
- a.f.c.g.t. 10" on dirty knobby (a frames meet climax golden twins)

The Thermals - Now We Can See

Pretty straight-up 3-piece indie rock record. I like it more every time I listen to it though. Must pick up their other ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back