New Cabinet (1 Viewer)

Goff

Since 1999
The Taoiseach, Bertie Ahern, has named Brian Lenihan, John Gormley and Eamon Ryan among his new Cabinet.

The full list is:
Brian Cowen - Tánaiste, Minister for Finance
Mary Harney - Minister for Health and Children
Mary Coughlan- Minister for Agriculture, Fisheries and Food
Seamus Brennan - Minister for Arts, Sport & Tourism
Noel Dempsey - Minister for Transport and the Marine
Éamon Ó Cuív - Minister for Community Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs
Willie O'Dea - Minister for Defence
Mary Hanafin - Minister for Education and Science
Micheál Martin - Minister for Enterprise, Trade and Employment
John Gormley - Minister for the Environment, Heritage and local Government
Dermot Ahern - Minister for Foreign Affairs
Brian Lenihan - Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform
Martin Cullen - Minister for Social and Family Affairs
Eamon Ryan - Minister for Communications, Energy and Natural Resources
Attorney General - Paul Gallagher SC

Right. That's the end of the Welfare State, so.

Noel Browne will be spinning in his grave.

Dude, although I completely understand why the Greens went into government with FF, the real tragedy is that there was very little other choice, except, well, not to go in and ending up with Jackie Healy-Rae as minister for brown envelopes.

Cullen as Social and Family is a tragedy.

But Lenihan in Justice? Fucking hell, all us filthy immigrants will be in concentration camps by fucking Christmas, and we'll be forcibly sterilised, as if we aren't legally sterilised already. I can't wait until we're all fucking microchipped, or wearing ankle bracelets or some shit. I hope they sell blinging rhinestone covers for them at least.

Fucking Dempsey for Transport. Tara is completely fucked now, Greens or no Greens.

Sad day.

you didn't hear?

RTÉ News has learned that the outgoing Minister for the Environment, Dick Roche, has signed an order that will lead to a resumption of work on the M3 near Tara.

Mr Roche has decided that the new National Monument found at Lismullen should be preserved 'by record', in other words, studied in detail and then the motorway will be built as scheduled.

The order comes under the remit of the Minister for the Environment and does not require Cabinet approval.
It will be the first controversy to hit the new Government, as the Green Party has long held that the route of the M3 is wrong. John Gormley of the Green Party has this evening been announced as the new Minister for the Environment.
Vincent Salafia of TaraWatch said the group is appalled at the decision about the motorway, particularly given a new more environment friendly government is to take power.
He said he thought there would, at the very least, have been a re-assessment of the project before any decision was taken.
Mr Salafia said it was now certain that legal action would be taken against the project, which the new Minister for the Environment, John Gormley, would have to defend.

i think i'll preserve this Ming vase by taking a few snaps of it then smashing it to pieces with a hammer. grand job.

Cullen might not be bad in SFA - people had the same fear about Brennan when he went there and before long he was wearing dungarees, dangling earrings and a fake 'bump'.

Dempsey was responsible for Nat Roads in Environment and for Marine in D/CMNR so that's hardly astonishing.

I think lenihan will pay more attention to the 'equality and law reform' bit of his dept's brief which has been neglected for the past; intellectually he's the only match for cowen around the table.

Cullen might not be bad in SFA - people had the same fear about Brennan when he went there and before long he was wearing dungarees, dangling earrings and a fake 'bump'.

Cullen is the kiss of death for anywhere he goes. He's too arrogant for the Social. I'm not sure there was that fear about Brennan. Séamy was grand, but then he was always decent enough when it came to the likes of Social Inclusion. I'm not sure Murt Cullen has ever heard the phrase before.

There have been a lot of unfair changes since Séamy took over there though. Cutting half-rate Child Dependant Allowance because a spouse earned €200+ euros a week was a bit OTT, when there was no need to make savings in such a cash-rich exchequer.

I see dark times ahead for the Social.

By sending Cullen there, Bertie is signalling that tough times are ahead. But, it'll be grand for the pensionners as they've already agreed to give them a decent living standard (for now). And that'll detract from the real changes.

The Miniature, Séamy, has been demoted again. He definitely won't like that.

i think roche signing off on the m3 before getting booted may be doing gormley a favour. they had lost the m3 argument anyway, its an out clause for him...
that m3 route is rotten to the core anyway, without the obvious heritage fuckery, there are some well dodgy land deals that went on in its path for a few yrs before the route was 'agreed'.

i really wish they'd stop getting my hopes up:

Gormley to review M3-Tara decision

The Minister for the Environment, John Gormley, is expected to review a decision taken by his predecessor to allow the M3 motorway go over a recently discovered archaeologoical site.

The Green Party's Dan Boyle said Dick Roche's decision to sign an order for the destruction of the prehistoric site at Lismullen near Tara, following an archaelogical investigation, was something his party was not happy witht.

One of the final decisions taken by Dick Roche as Minister was to sign an order which will result in the remains at Lismullen being investigated by a team of archaeologists, and then built over.
Advertisement

On Prime Time last night, Dan Boyle said he hoped the new Environment Minister would examine the matter when he goes to the Custom House this morning.

If the decision stands, work on the M3 at Lismullen will not resume for some time until the archaeological work is complete.

Work on other parts of the motorway will continue as normal.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0615/m3.html

its another carrickmines....itll hold up the m3 for yrs but itll def still go ahead. too many ppl stand to make tidy profits for that road to be re-routed over some fairy forts*

*tm - michael mc dowell

Does anyone know which of the Greens got Junior Ministries? I know they're getting two, I'm assuiming Sargent got one but I'd be interested to see who got the other one. Cuffe? After what he said. Otherwise it must be Gogarty, usually not considered high office material or Mary White who I know nothing about.

Does anyone know which of the Greens got Junior Ministries? I know they're getting two, I'm assuiming Sargent got one but I'd be interested to see who got the other one. Cuffe? After what he said. Otherwise it must be Gogarty, usually not considered high office material or Mary White who I know nothing about.

mary white is the deputy leader of the greens

Has Gormley actually said he's going to do anything about it?

Last night, the Department of the Environment said the order could not be reversed by the incoming Minister. "The order was signed on Tuesday but it was decided not to issue a press release at that point because there was so much else going on," a spokesman for the department said.
Labour's environment spokesman Eamon Gilmore said that, according to legal advice he had received, it would be possible for Mr Gormley to overturn the order. "The action Mr Gormley now takes will give us a clear indication as to whether there has been a genuine change of direction as the Greens claim, or whether the changes have been of a largely cosmetic nature, as the Programme for Government would appear to indicate," he said.
http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/breaking/2007/0615/breaking11.htm

Rumour has it that Jackie Healy Rae insisted that John O'Donaghue got the Ceann Commhairle so that there'll be less competition in South Kerry for 2012. I think it will be Jackie's son contesting (possibly for FF) at that stage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back