New Cabinet (1 Viewer)

Minister for the Environment John Gormley has said it appears unlikely it will be possible to overturn an order by his predecessor to allow the M3 motorway to be built over an historic monument in Co Meath.
In one of his final acts in office, Dick Roche on Tuesday signed an order for the "preservation by record" of the recently discovered prehistoric henge at Lismullin, Co Meath, on the route of the proposed M3.
Campaigners, including the Green Party, had called for the road to be re-routed in order to preserve the historic site.
Last night Mr Gormley said his party had "not been aware" that Mr Roche intended to sign the ministerial order while coalition talks with Fianna Fáil were drawing to a close.
However, he indicated this morning it was unlikely that he will be able to reverse Mr Roche's decision.
Speaking after arriving on a bicycle to take up his new post at the Customs House this morning, Mr Gormley said: "I will be looking at the documentation in the coming days but I think it is fair to say that I cannot really do anything thing about our previous minister's decisions."
He said, however, he was committed to preserving heritage.

http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/breaking/2007/0615/breaking11.htm

The Green Party has indicated that it will not be seeking to re-route the M3 motorway away from the Hill of Tara during the next five years.
Eamon Ryan, the party's new Minister for Communications, Energy and Natural Resources, said today that he and his colleagues tried to get the motorway re-routed during coalition negotiations with Fianna Fail.
However, he said the Greens failed to win the argument.
Mr Ryan said the decision to construct the motorway alongside the Hill of Tara was a decision of the last Government and "this is a new Government".
"That was a decision of the last Government," he said. "This is a new Government."

what did they find at lismullen? i could be wrong here but i think they found wall shadows and some posts suggesting a settlement. they is a great deal of hysteria surrounding this whole issue, and i suspect, a lot of 'not in my back garden' stuff going on too. the motorway is not being built through tara. you might be able to see it from tara if you squint. i heard some joker on the radio the other morning say that what they found at lismullin is as important as stonehenge. i'm pretty sure thats bollox. if lismullen is significant enough that the road route should be changed then i'm all for the road route being changed. but it's the boyne valley. chances are any route will hit something of historical significance.

you have to weigh up the cost re-routing this road and further delaying a project that should have been started and completed YEARS ago, with the misery of the thousands of people who lose days every year to the traffic going in and out of navan and dunshaughlin.

and before i get lynched here, i voted green (i'll think hard about doing that again), i'm from that area and i cycle most of the time.

i'm so fired from large mound...

a project that should have been started and completed YEARS ago,

I also think the blame rests fully on the politicians who didn't get decent motorways built years ago. YEARS ago. I wish people would stop voting for them....

All hippy stuff aside, we need motorways like.

the misery of the thousands of people who lose days every year to the traffic going in and out of navan and dunshaughlin.
dunshaughlin needs to be bypassed, anyway. but i know people living in navan and skryne; they're convinced that instead of queuing for 20 mins at dunshaughlin, and 20 mins at blanchardstown, they'll be queuing for 40 mins at blanchardstown once dunshaughlin is bypassed.

the government were hell bent on spending half a billion on a motorway instead of one tenth that price reopening the navan railway line. which wouldn't be nearly as badly affected by congestion.

about half a dozen times. there's a fantastic secondhand bookshop nearby; i bought century old copies of kids books or relatives for about five quid each there.

tara is defined, its not just the top of the hill. they should have avoided the complex altogether, except for the rezoning profits for the cronies. its obvious to anyone that the m3 was & is gonna be delayed by yrs by the choice of route they took, whether or not you give a shit about our heritage.

the bottleneck will be moved to the blanch roundabout, no doubt about that.

my guess is, and its in the joint program for govt, is that the greens got agreement on the reopening of the navan line with the m3 to go ahead. however, i see no timeline on the navan line....

i think that was agreed in the fuss over tara a few years ago; however, the motorway is going to cut the kells line the far side of navan.

what did they find at lismullen? i could be wrong here but i think they found wall shadows and some posts suggesting a settlement. they is a great deal of hysteria surrounding this whole issue, and i suspect, a lot of 'not in my back garden' stuff going on too. the motorway is not being built through tara. you might be able to see it from tara if you squint. i heard some joker on the radio the other morning say that what they found at lismullin is as important as stonehenge. i'm pretty sure thats bollox. if lismullen is significant enough that the road route should be changed then i'm all for the road route being changed. but it's the boyne valley. chances are any route will hit something of historical significance.

you have to weigh up the cost re-routing this road and further delaying a project that should have been started and completed YEARS ago, with the misery of the thousands of people who lose days every year to the traffic going in and out of navan and dunshaughlin.

and before i get lynched here, i voted green (i'll think hard about doing that again), i'm from that area and i cycle most of the time.

i'm so fired from large mound...

sTalkingStop.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back