Need advice buying an amp (1 Viewer)

Anarcho Munk

I've been playing on a cheapy cheap 20 watt (but powerful) Behringer amp for the last 3 years. I never really had the money to upgrade to something better but I'm after getting really impatient with my current amp. These days I find it almost impossible to get a good tone out of it and i'm playing regularly with a few bands.

The most I can spend is €400 and that's stretching it alot. So far, these are the only two i've been considering...

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/268
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/marshall-mg100-dfx/325

But basically I know nothing about amps and could do with all the advice in the world before blowing all my money on one.

Are the two above any good? Are they worth the price? What other amps should I be considering? What are your opinions?

Thanks for helping..|..|

imo neither of them are great. if you're gonna spend a good bit of money i'd suggest trying to get something somewhat nice that you won't get fed up with in a year or two. if you could spend a couple hundred more you'd be sorted. otherwise you could maybe get a 50 watt tube combo of some kind second hand on ebay, buyandsell.ie or adverts.ie for around what you're looking to spend, if you search often and wait patiently for a while.

Cool....yeah. I'd love to get a really nice amp and not have to worry about upgrading from it.

Could ya give a few recomendations? what are the best ones out there in the €400-€800 bracket?

I'm really in the dark about amps!! All help from anyone would be really appreciated!

something like a second hand laney or marshall combo comes to mind. try to search for amps that come up on those sites and then do some research on websites like harmony-central.com (which has reviews of just about everything ever). anyone else got any ideas?

I think I will. I'm a bit cautious about buying without trying but i'll take the plunge!!

Just need to setup my ebay account quick....:)

I think I will. I'm a bit cautious about buying without trying but i'll take the plunge!!

Just need to setup my ebay account quick....:)

clairol%20do%20it%201982m.jpg

I'm finding a little trouble trying to price it on the net. Anyone know what they cost new? and what's the absolute most I should pay for it?

Cheers. And thanks for digging up that amp Moose!.|..|

they don't make them any more. a new marshall tube combo is over a grand. up to €500-€600 would be a really good price for it i reckon, definitely considering it has a full set of new tubes.

Hmmm. Just been thinking. Would 100 watt nearly be too loud? It'd be great for gigs. But for playing at home? would it be a bit messy?

damnit....or am i just rabitting on?

Like, will I not just get a constipated sound from playing it below 3 on the volume dial the whole time?

it has a switch to toggle between 50 and 100 watts, apparently.
still be pretty loud in your house, but i'd imagine you could rock it with the volume down and it would still sound a lot better than a shitty amp up loud. plus gigs are where its at for sounding good, it's not like your parents are gonna be coming in to compliment you on your tone...

Hey. Is there anything I should be asking the seller just in case I get screwed over? Like the history of the amp and a receipt of the parts put into it and warranntee's and such?

cheers

It looks pretty good. He's got 100% feedback with really good messages in there so I wouldn't be worried about it. Also the description covers everything I can think of.

£65 pounds sounds kinda expensive for shipping but it's a heavy bugger. Anyways I'd just go for it and then see if you can get cheaper shipping.

Cool. I don't have a clue how to organise shiping myself though. Was on the DHL and Fedex websites and tis pretty confusing.

But what I was wondering was say, if the amp broke down after a few months for no particular reason, i'd be screwed under warranty. Like...would the warranty be transferable from him to me? Or is it already run out anyway cos its oer 10 years old...

17 mins left on it. better get bidding soon. :)

Cool. I don't have a clue how to organise shiping myself though. Was on the DHL and Fedex websites and tis pretty confusing.

But what I was wondering was say, if the amp broke down after a few months for no particular reason, i'd be screwed under warranty. Like...would the warranty be transferable from him to me? Or is it already run out anyway cos its oer 10 years old...

17 mins left on it. better get bidding soon. :)

I wouldn't imagine there is a warranty, the joys of second stuff. It looks like it's a shop your buying from so I'd say it's reliable enough and if he says there's new tubes no doubt there are. There's always a risk but that's the way it is.

Probably worth going with his shipping as it's insured and if it gets damaged or lost on the way over it's his responsibility.

Somebody just bid so get in there quick.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back