near death experiences (1 Viewer)

washingcattle

Contributor
Very nearly came a cropper by choking to death on sausage and chips in my college canteen today (Friday 13th). Flailed my arms, gasped for air, begged strangers for help, needed the Hymlich manouver etc. spewed half chewed sausage all over my remaining food. Embarssing and painful yet surprisingly uplifting.

Anyone else had a Mama Cass recently?

Over all as an experience I will have to say .|..|.|..|.|..|. out of a possible .|..|.|..|.|..|.|..|.|..|

Great spectator sport though

Four years ago this May, I woke up with those electric paddles on my chest. Had this pain in my back/left shoulder that got increasing worse as the week went on. It got so bad (I have a very high tolerance for pain) that I just started tearing up and could lay down or sleep. I called into work and was just rocking back and forth at home trying to control the pain. Mind over matter. I had been texting a friend who got so worried he said if I didn't go to the doctor I'm calling an ambulance. Ambulances are super expensive in the states and I wanted to avoid the embarrassment of it so I called the doctor. I actually took the bus there, which seem ridiculous now.

I got to the doctor and he told me I needed to go across the street to A&E because I might be having a PE. I had no idea what a PE (Pulmonary embolism) was but went over. Sat there, went through the whole triage bit, "Describe the pain from 1-10" Ummmm, 15! It felt like what I would imagine someone being beaten with a baseball bat would feel with a type of intensity I've never known.

They needed to take blood test to make sure I wasn't pregnant (even though I assured them there was no possible way) because of the x-rays. I sat there forever hooked up to tons of machines. About 4 hours of this then someone asked if I was offered morphine. Ummm, no! They gave me some and it did absoultely nothing. At that point, I figured I was dead. I mean if morphine can't control the pain it must be death time.

It was weird because I kind of made peace with it. I'm dying. It's been fun. All I kept concentrating on was wanting a tissue. I could see them across the room but no one was near me. So I got up and dragged the machines with me to get one. BOOM. Colapsed to the floor. Spent some time in ICU and the regular hospital. Unbeknownst to me I had a blood clot in my leg and it shot to my lungs. Blood clots had been in my lungs (hence the pain) and started for the heart. Had I not been in A&E I would have died in my apartment. Freaky. Completely random.

Smiley-Faint.gif

Four years ago this May, I woke up with those electric paddles on my chest. Had this pain in my back/left shoulder that got increasing worse as the week went on. It got so bad (I have a very high tolerance for pain) that I just started tearing up and could lay down or sleep. I called into work and was just rocking back and forth at home trying to control the pain. Mind over matter. I had been texting a friend who got so worried he said if I didn't go to the doctor I'm calling an ambulance. Ambulances are super expensive in the states and I wanted to avoid the embarrassment of it so I called the doctor. I actually took the bus there, which seem ridiculous now.

I got to the doctor and he told me I needed to go across the street to A&E because I might be having a PE. I had no idea what a PE (Pulmonary embolism) was but went over. Sat there, went through the whole triage bit, "Describe the pain from 1-10" Ummmm, 15! It felt like what I would imagine someone being beaten with a baseball bat would feel with a type of intensity I've never known.

They needed to take blood test to make sure I wasn't pregnant (even though I assured them there was no possible way) because of the x-rays. I sat there forever hooked up to tons of machines. About 4 hours of this then someone asked if I was offered morphine. Ummm, no! They gave me some and it did absoultely nothing. At that point, I figured I was dead. I mean if morphine can't control the pain it must be death time.

It was weird because I kind of made peace with it. I'm dying. It's been fun. All I kept concentrating on was wanting a tissue. I could see them across the room but no one was near me. So I got up and dragged the machines with me to get one. BOOM. Colapsed to the floor. Spent some time in ICU and the regular hospital. Unbeknownst to me I had a blood clot in my leg and it shot to my lungs. Blood clots had been in my lungs (hence the pain) and started for the heart. Had I not been in A&E I would have died in my apartment. Freaky. Completely random.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKK!
scariest story ever.

My da was at a work dinner. On putting a piece of meat into his mouth that he was kind of suspect about he decided: "Urgh!", and tried to swallow it like a duck to be rid of it.

Cue choking. He passed the first number of seconds trying to get it down, and then panic set in. He managed to alert the others around him at the table.

Luckily this meal was at a work health-and-safety training course, and he was surrounded by fire-men, who heimliched him to perfection.

He was in a bad bad way, and insists he would have been a gonner if he was alone.

fuckin hell Jill, puts the time I sneezed underwater to shame!

yeah. way to kill a thread Jill Hives.

Near death experiences, Mysterious Peanut Butter gifts, what are you going to call your autobiography?

yeah. way to kill a thread Jill Hives.

Near death experiences, Mysterious Peanut Butter gifts, what are you going to call your autobiography?

Sorry, didn't mean to bring ya all down. It should make you happy and go out and enjoy everything. Never know when it's gonna happen. Don't waste time like. Do what you've always wanted to do. Move country, etc. ;)

end up in ireland.

posting on thumped.

!ninjaaaa

This is just like the opening act of monkey island 2

Hahahaha. I have the unfortunate problem of large debt. I have 2 years left of my 5 year plan. Five years here and I can apply for citizenship and the oppressive part of my debt will be gone. Summer 2011 the world is mine. I'm going to become a gypsy. Travel work a crap job. Travel work a crap job, travel some more and then settle in the country with a dog. Bliss.

Don't get me wrong, it sounds like you got it all worked out. I should really start applying computer game storylines to my life

anyway, i'm off to scowl at people at the shops so have a good near-death experience everyone!

Don't get me wrong, it sounds like you got it all worked out. I should really start applying computer game storylines to my life

anyway, i'm off to scowl at people at the shops so have a good near-death experience everyone!

Come to think of it, I could speed up the process of by offering marriage for county status. Anyone willing to pay for US citizenship so I can get EU? ;)

Come to think of it, I could speed up the process of by offering marriage for county status. Anyone willing to pay for US citizenship so I can get EU? ;)
i doubt they allow same sex marriages, but if that changes i'm in!

I fell into a slurry pit when i was 5.
I got hit by a car when i was seven.
I severed an artery in my groin and i split my balls open.

Hahahaha. I have the unfortunate problem of large debt. I have 2 years left of my 5 year plan. Five years here and I can apply for citizenship and the oppressive part of my debt will be gone. Summer 2011 the world is mine. I'm going to become a gypsy. Travel work a crap job. Travel work a crap job, travel some more and then settle in the country with a dog. Bliss.

http://www.forbes.com/forbes/2009/0202/060.html

Jesus.

Anyway.
I almost died a good few times. There has been a number of times in my life, one period in particular, that I entered a state whereby I sort of didn;t care if I died or not. I wasn;t suicidal, but I didn;t really care that much.
I ended up in scary enough situations a couple of times, but I always thought that I could probably get away with it during the event, or the event was so fast that it was over before I realised what was happening.

But the time I was really resigned to dying, Jill's post there reminded me, when you are there thinking "bollix, That's it then is it" I wasn;t in this state of not caring. I was keen on living when it happened.

Basically, I went out running in the mountains in Norway, got lost, ended up at the bottom of a cliff by a lake and figured out that instead of back tracking, climbing straight up a cliff was a more direct way out. The pitch looked fine, and I was a decent climber, and I climbed it no problem.

The problem was that there was another pitch, set in about 2 foot in from the first, same height, invisible from below though. Sound, climbed that one too. I was about 30m up a muti pitch cliff thing now. This was a bit trickier climbing.

At the top of this second pitch, and same deal, another pitch, 2 feet in, invisible from below. So I looked up the third pitch, and started climbing. Half way up this pitch was getting tricky, too tricky to climb down. I did a hand jam, where you slip your hand into the wall, pull it into a fist, and then swing out off the face, and looked up. The cliff was huge, I was less than half way, but it was too hard to climb down.

Then I started really thinking about dying.
And its mad, I didn't care that much, but I was angry with myself because my gf and family were going to have to get this news. And it was my stupid fault.
I had a while to think about it, say 2 minutes, and then I decided to climb down.
Every move was handjam at around waist height, and then let go and drop onto that, and your arm would snap tight and then you could feel around with your feet for something to put weight on.
Didn't die though. I didn't even fall. I;d say if I had done it 10 times I might have fallen 5 times.

That probably only say 50% chance maybe but I had a good bit of time to think it through. That was more memorable than the incident itself.

Like there was a diving incident that was probably worse, but I was all fucked up and drunk feeling at the time, and puking all over the shop after for a bit.

Yessh.
Shitty post there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back