Name this film... (1 Viewer)

plug

Website
www.outonalimbrecords.com
saw it on a bus about 3 weeks ago:

starring a particularly haggard looking JEAN CLAUDE VAN DAMME, who is encarcerated in a RUSSIAN PRISON where he is BEATEN by guards and prisoners alike until one day he is PUSHED TOO FAR, bites some guy's face off, screams and rolls around in some mud for a bit, and becomes a MERCILESS FIGHTING MACHINE.

some other stuff happens, including a guy in a wheelchair being set on fire, a prison riot etc. I vaguely recall jean claude making friends with a violent, retarded giant in a gimp mask as well...

I'm too lazy/hungover for IMDB today. anyone know this film? they didn't show the title or end credits on the bus...

"In Hell"?

I just googled JCVD and Russian prison. I feel your pain.

EDIT: Beaten to it by a matter of seconds it seems.

Nothing to do with the film but- isn't being able to do this cool?

timecop.jpg

Such a pity about that lump on his head or he'd be in the 'I have the horn for' thread.

I have a similar question:

There's a film, it's in B+W and there's a DVD of it out now or coming out soon (perhaps as part of some collection)

The scene I remember is something like an Englishman being tried in some sort of futuristic court by an American, and the Jury consists of people from every race that the English have fucked around over the centuries (Irish, Punjab, Chinese, Persian and a couple of others). There's a gallery of millions.

The Englishman asks that the Jury be changed to a group of Americans, giving a speech that Americans are great, and the Jury remain the same, but their clothes morph from their traditional robes into American clothes. The Irishman becomes a cop, etc.

There's a lot of high faluting talking going on too.

What is this film?

And is it any good?

I have a similar question:

There's a film, it's in B+W and there's a DVD of it out now or coming out soon (perhaps as part of some collection)

The scene I remember is something like an Englishman being tried in some sort of futuristic court by an American, and the Jury consists of people from every race that the English have fucked around over the centuries (Irish, Punjab, Chinese, Persian and a couple of others). There's a gallery of millions.

The Englishman asks that the Jury be changed to a group of Americans, giving a speech that Americans are great, and the Jury remain the same, but their clothes morph from their traditional robes into American clothes. The Irishman becomes a cop, etc.

There's a lot of high faluting talking going on too.

What is this film?

And is it any good?

A Matter Of Life And Death.

Directed by Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger in 1946.

It's excellent.

It's excellent.

Oh, yes a staggeringly enjoyable feast of a film! Innovative stuff back in the day. And Raymond Massey to boot. A favourite.

And the only other Powell and Pressburger I've seen is the equally excellent 'The Life and Times of Colonel Blimp' with the hearty, take-no-bull Roger Livesey, which apparently so infuriated Winston Churchill he had it banned for exportation to other countries!

All that remains to be said is...

What Ho!

Gonna watch it on Wednesday if at all possible. I've a suspicion it's not available on DVD.

Till now I'm gonna stop reading this thread because I hate knowing anything about a film before I see it other than that people think it's good.

The best thing that Michael Powell ever did was Peeping Tom. 1960.
Agreed. Excellent, but one of the most disturbing films I've seen. Considering it even in today's context, it must have been a complete shock to the system on its release. Did it even get a full release?

Agreed. Excellent, but one of the most disturbing films I've seen. Considering it even in today's context, it must have been a complete shock to the system on its release. Did it even get a full release?

At the time it was reviled and practically finished off Powell's career. It got a full release but I don't think it lasted too long in cinemas.

I first read about it when Dilys Powell gave it film of the week in The Sunday Times Culture section around 1994. It was on Sky Movies Gold and I managed to record onto VHS which I watched over a dozen times and showed it to anyone who would listen.

The best DVD edition is the Criterion Collection release. Proper aspect ratio and a decent documentary. There was a region 2 release which seems to be deleted but can be picked up second hand quite easily.

It's excellent.
Sounds good reminds me of an old David Niven film where he is a WW II pilot and heaven or something is part of a court case and there is an american gf, all bit cliched and mushy but hey!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back