My lazy friend, his potential Hits and hiring session musicians etc - advice please (1 Viewer)

CinnamonBoy

I have a demotape which the principal songwriter from my old band recorded a little over 10 years ago. He had little interest in putting the work in to be in a successful band and at the time, we were just kids really, though we'd already tasted some success (Awards, TV appearances, glory, doing homework backstage in the TBMC) a few years previous at the tender age of 18.

The thing is, I always believed in his songs, if only we could get our act together. But it fell by the wayside, he later went to Oz for a while, now he's in London. Has nothing to do with music, beyond listening to it.

So, I finally dug out this demo last year to listen again and could instantly hear what I believe would be commercial hits (there's one song, in particular which I could imagine The Script giving their left bollocks for) and some stuff which would actually be "good". I hear the whole arrangements, structures, everything in my head.

So, what I want to do is get some good musicians together to record a couple of the songs. Invest in a decent studio to record them. Or whatever way would be best to get these songs, and the sounds in my head, recorded. Then hawk them round and see what happens.

My friend will never do it, so I have to try. Any advice, thoughts? How much do session musicians cost?

I haven't been in a band for 6 years (a band which subsequently ended up on that Phantom Top 50 list incidentally) so I have no clue about the current state of recording stuff in Ireland, beyond recording my own stuff on my laptop/PC.

Re: My lazy friend, his potential Hits and hiring session musicians etc - advice plea

Best bet would be to fire up the demos here and see if anyone will help gratis or with promise of cut of potential billyuns. If the songs are any use I wouldn't mind doing some keyboard for ya.

Re: My lazy friend, his potential Hits and hiring session musicians etc - advice plea

I did sessiony bits last year for Liam from Asylum/Bow Lane studios. He was organising/arranging songs for a singer-songwriter chap and pulling in people he knew to play.
So getting a 'producer' type to look after it is one option. (Scientician's suggestions is possibly a better one!) I was offered a fee and took it. Always enjoy a bit of recording.
It wasn't your musician's union rate, but I was happy enough as I was still on my uni stipend.

Best bet would be to fire up the demos here and see if anyone will help gratis or with promise of cut of potential billyuns. If the songs are any use I wouldn't mind doing some keyboard for ya.

Sure, if anyone here is capable of playing keyboards, drums, bass or string instruments and wants to volunteer for free or for a fee, then by all means, I would be happy to send on the demos. They're fairly crudely recorded so you'd have to have some imagination but I'm happy to describe how I'd like them to sound.

(I know this all sounds slightly ridiculous, btw, and possibly has shades of that RTE documentary on yer man from Louth who Tony whathisname hypnotised into believing he could become a megastar solo artist)

I did sessiony bits last year for Liam from Asylum/Bow Lane studios. He was organising/arranging songs for a singer-songwriter chap and pulling in people he knew to play.
So getting a 'producer' type to look after it is one option. (Scientician's suggestions is possibly a better one!) I was offered a fee and took it. Always enjoy a bit of recording.
It wasn't your musician's union rate, but I was happy enough as I was still on my uni stipend.

Any idea of a ball-park figure that he was charging said singer/songwriter?

i'm curious to hear something. any chance i could get a listen, possibly apply my skills?

Not an idea. But both Liam Mulvaney and Jimmy Eadie are good fellas. You could always get in touch via http://www.asylumstudios.net/

I will do that. My idea to minimise costs would be to find the players, give them the demos, tell them what I want and then convene on one day in a studio to lay down a couple of tracks. There'd be nothing particularly taxing so imagine your average decent player would have little trouble in coming in and doing his/her bit.

i'm curious to hear something. any chance i could get a listen, possibly apply my skills?

I can PM mp3s later on if you like.

You'll probably think "that's shit....".

That's fair enough, but I'd hope you'd also think "...however, given a big studio treatment you could totally hear it playing over a scene in Grey's Anatomy".

Aye. Sounds like a cheaper option. Asylum or Steve Shannon's place might be good to use.

I can PM mp3s later on if you like.

You'll probably think "that's shit....".

That's fair enough, but I'd hope you'd also think "...however, given a big studio treatment you could totally hear it playing over a scene in Grey's Anatomy".

yeah do surely. been doing more and more production based stuff the past year or two so i'm interested to see if i think i can make something of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back