My computer blew up (1 Viewer)

Denny Oubidoux

Hangin round town
Supporter
Solutions
i plugged in my pc this evening only to be treated to an eruption of very big sparks, loud popping and sizzling and finally a dainty little swirl of smoke out the back hole of it. should i:

A: Kick fuck out of it
B: Check to see if maybe the hard drives might still work
C: Fuck it out the window, to hell. its totally fucked

it doesnt seem to do anything now, wont start

Yep, A memorable phone call springs to mind from my days in a call centre, 'I have the fire marshall here beside me, he tells me my computer burnt down my home, me! Ok I'll pass you onto our legal dept :)
its your psu...

my psu, is it? i'll have to reread that in the morning. how big a fire hazard are computers? do they sometimes just burst in to flame if they're left plugged in?

ive finally decided to tackle this power supply business. its a bit trickier than i expected. it says om it "WARNING: Hazardous voltages contained within this power supply, not user serviceable, return to service center for repair". Anybody recommend somewhere decent to send it? what sorta money would we be talking for this? is it really not advisable to attempt it myself?

I think getting a new one would be much cheaper than repairing it. If it blew up it's more than likely not repairable anyway.

thanks squiggle. i had a look at komplett earlier alright, prices arent so bad. do reckon i could go ahead and stick it in myself or should i get a techie to do it? also, it says on the side of the wrecked one "total output wattage: 300w max" and elsewhere it says "combine 180w max" whereas the lowest power listed on komplett is 400-499w. is that shit important?

Then that cheap one will be perfect for you. You should be able to do it yourself. Just make sure that the power lead is unplugged before you start.

The power cables only fit on the right parts, if that makes any sense.

I just had the fan out of my psu and gave it a lube job.Working like new(it was giving out stink lately)I'm dead chuffed.Took 5 minutes of googlin' 5 minutes of work and a drop of 3in1.

Moral of the story...Anyone can fix a trick psu.

Unrelated but...

Oh baby.And thats with a bunch of tizzorents going!

i cant afford a new one right now though. i was hoping maybe €30 or €40 would get me going again.

Repairing it is not really an option.... you need a replacement and it would probably be cheaper

Secondly, there could be a lot more damage besides just the power supply, eg the motherboard, the harddrive..

Pete said it was just the psu and that itll be easy peasy to sort out.

Would it be ok to take the psu out of another pc and try it out to check if thats all thats wrong or might i wreck that too?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back