music tech courses (1 Viewer)

Butt

Website
Visit site
anyone done the music technology course in trinity (€????)

or

the full-time music tech course in the sound training centre (€4000, bit steep)

or

do you recommend any other related courses

i'm not looking for an engineer related career, just for creative purposes, expand the songwriting and mastering the home studio set-up.

all relevant comments appreciated :)

anyone done the music technology course in trinity (€????)

I'm teaching on the trin course.

It's pretty excellent and has many well respected alumni including members of decal and the jimmy cake.

I actually did the course 5 years ago and it has changed a good bit since then. I'm not too aware of the structure/subjects and so on, I just go in each week and teach my own subject.

Best thing I can recommend is that you call the secretary, Nora Moore, and arrange to have an informal talk with someone in there to see if the course will suit you.

If you go for it, best of luck!

Oh, there's also a similar course in DIT, in case you weren't aware of it.

cheers.

Do you need a diploma/degree if you want to get onto that course or do they also accept thick people?

-Thayl

Originally posted by Morn
I don't think you do but I believe they look for a portfolio and stuff...
the details are all on the tcd website... (www.tcd.ie)

When I was doing it, there were people without degrees but they had many years of relevant experience behind them. Can't say what the policy is officially but a well placed inquiry to the secretary will set you straight.

I was doing the music undergrad in trinity til recently and we had a couple of the postgrads as lecturers for bits - they all seemed pretty knowledge-full and dead cool... [/B]

ah.. you didn't have me though. I know nothing and I'm about as cool as a yellow polyester polo-neck jumper.

Hey Donnacha, doesn't that course have a heavy emphasis on technology? Is it suitable for old fashioned musicians and studio heads?

Originally posted by Mumblin Deaf Ro
Hey Donnacha, doesn't that course have a heavy emphasis on technology? Is it suitable for old fashioned musicians and studio heads?

As I said, I'm not entirely sure about the exact course structure these days.
However, yes, a lot of the subjects covered are very technical, some require a good deal of math.

I can't really comment on the suitability for anyone though, so if you were thinking about applying, try and set up an informal chat and that should make it pretty clear to you whether the course would suit you. Even if you get a subject listing and have doubts, having a chat with someone in there would still be a good idea.

Everyone in there is sound [no pun intended] and very approachable.

does learnin mad music make you a better song writer? coz we're fucked like, we might get marko to go on one of these next year...

The Sound training center has a Music technology course running part time also. It's not as intensive as the full time course but it is alot cheaper. Not only that, it's product based so you get your own song recorded, mixed and mastered in proper studio surroundings. That way the more practical of people are hands on instead of spending hours listening to boring theory! And nothing is more mind numbing than Music tech theory:D

Originally posted by kmastering
The Sound training center has a Music technology course running part time also. It's not as intensive as the full time course but it is alot cheaper. Not only that, it's product based so you get your own song recorded, mixed and mastered in proper studio surroundings. That way the more practical of people are hands on instead of spending hours listening to boring theory! And nothing is more mind numbing than Music tech theory:D

i did evening classes a year ago in the midi sequencing, sampling and synthesis course - it was informative as in i didn't know anything about samplers and never considered using midi in recording but to be honest i don't think part-time courses are of much benefit. You need practical experience to be really learning the stuff and that particular course didn't really provide it with just one tutor helping out 10 or so students in the one hour of practical work at the end of each class.

I think the course you mention above is still €3000 which, in fairness, is probably even more steep when you are getting a lot less time each week than the full-time course. I know it costs a lot to run these courses with all the gear but still, it's big money
and that's why i want to make sure i go for the right course(if i do decide to do one and manage to save the money).

Though when you say "the more practical of people are hands on instead of spending hours listening to boring theory", it does give the sound training course the edge over trinity.
(btw master k!, i mailed you during the week about the moblie studio, so i must talk to you about this when i see you)

but thanks donnacha, i'll give that person a buzz and chat about it.

Originally posted by Thayl
Do you need a diploma/degree if you want to get onto that course or do they also accept thick people?

-Thayl

it says on the website a degree in music/engineering/science
OR "relevant experience in a related industry or field" for over 23's

Originally posted by donnacha
However, yes, a lot of the subjects covered are very technical, some require a good deal of math.

is this the same thing as what i used to call 'maths'?

Originally posted by silo

yes, mathematicians often refer to it as 'math',
so i'm guessing this is pretty deep maths we're lookin at

Originally posted by silo

I can just picture you now, your first day of secondary school, angry, chip on shoulder scowl, shouting at teacher "Hey, fucko, is this the same thing as what I used to call 'sums'?"

lose the bitter, feel the love Silo.

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back