music tech courses (2 Viewers)

Originally posted by Butt
yes, mathematicians often refer to it as 'math',
so i'm guessing this is pretty deep maths we're lookin at

No, Americans call it math. Particularly American mathematicians. This really annoys the fuck out of me for some reason.

By the way, I know a good few people who have done the Music tech course in Trin and my understanding is it also involves quite a lot of work on modern composition/electro-acoustics/all that funny stuff ..... that could be exactly what you want or exactly not what you want so make sure you talk to people as much as poss about it first (e.g. past students and as Donnacha suggests people working in there at the moment).

Originally posted by hugh
No, Americans call it math. Particularly American mathematicians. This really annoys the fuck out of me for some reason.

No, I call it math.

I do it because I hate the sound of 'ths' and I hate the awkward sensation of having to make the sound. Makes me feel like puking.

Is that so terrible?

Originally posted by donnacha
I can just picture you now, your first day of secondary school, angry, chip on shoulder scowl, shouting at teacher "Hey, fucko, is this the same thing as what I used to call 'sums'?"

lose the bitter, feel the love Silo.

:)

if i remember rightly, don't boards of canada have a track called 'music is math'?

you're all against me.

Originally posted by silo
if i remember rightly, don't boards of canada have a track called 'music is math'?

you're all against me.

I think they do.

Off topic, I hate BOC, they're so boring and predictable, which probably explains why they've been so readily assimilated into the mainstream.

They're right though, music IS math.

Stephen Merrit from The Magnetic Fields has another band called The Sixths, and he thought of it because it's hard to say. All their album titles are also hard to say - "Wasps Nests" for example.

Oh and, last I checked music is music. Math is math. Eggs is eggs and less is definitely not more.

Originally posted by donnacha
I think they do.

Off topic, I hate BOC, they're so boring and predictable, which probably explains why they've been so readily assimilated into the mainstream.

They're right though, music IS math.

you haven't seen the silo/potlatch barbershop duo version of 'roy g biv' from music has the right to children, then, have you?

it's fucking hardcore.

you might see it at t'ballroom later.

Originally posted by snakybus
no

is it called Trainer Algebra or something

him and his brain

the middle eight alone is a therom that proves Jesus was a miscalculation

or something

thats a lie, but it could probably be true

I hate brains, I'm glad we're the good looking ones in the groop,
we just have to pout and pose and share microphone

Originally posted by Knacker
There's a music tech course in Maynooth. Decent studio to boot. And less posh than posh Trinity.

maynooth could be handy, down the road from me.
do you know if it's a one year course or longer cause i don't think i could stand more than a year in college - the last time i went it took me years to get out, terrible experience!

donnacha, apologies for getting a smidge personal, but were you a kind of an aide to valerie cox last year in DIT? i can feel it in me wathers. Coz if you were, then that's funny coz you took some of our lectures, well the practical stuff. The world is a very small, cramped place.

Roxy

Originally posted by Butt
maynooth could be handy, down the road from me.
do you know if it's a one year course or longer cause i don't think i could stand more than a year in college - the last time i went it took me years to get out, terrible experience!

It's a year for the Higher Diploma and two years for the Masters. They'll probably want you to do an audition or something like that. The studio they use cost something like a million quid. Nice setup and it's in the old part of the college - which is the nicest campus in the Republic.

Originally posted by roxy
donnacha, apologies for getting a smidge personal, but were you a kind of an aide to valerie cox last year in DIT? i can feel it in me wathers. Coz if you were, then that's funny coz you took some of our lectures, well the practical stuff. The world is a very small, cramped place.

Roxy

Nothing wrong with your wathers there Roxy. Yup, however, we had shared responsibilty for teaching and marking that course rather than me being anyones 'aide'.

:rolleyes:

Sorry for getting pedantic on yo' ass but there ya go.

And with that, I retire to my couch for a nap. Had a ridiculous day of recording mishaps today and now I just want to sleep.

Here's a couple of little music tech tips for everyone:

if you're going to transport a big, heavy 24ch analogue desk from one side of dublin to the other to record some drums, make damn sure you don't leave the power unit at home.

Oh, and if you decide to make the best of a bad situation and rehearse instead of record, make sure your drummer has his bass drum pedal with him.

I'm off for a snooze.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back