music players (1 Viewer)

guy of the tiger

downloaded the new winamp (5), it's pretty darn good. you just point it at your mp3 folders and it keeps track of all the media files in there. you can do text searches for files and que's them all up. can play m4a files too. not to mention video.
waaaaay better than stupid Itunes.

what software do youwes use to play media on your 'putah?

itunes is a load of crap! Or maybe I'm a spa and haven't bothered figuring out how to use it properly.

i find itunes so slow (on pcs anyway)

takes about 3 minutes to start (no exaggeration) only rips things to m4s which is a pain in the face and its technique for naming your folders by artist/band name and then just using the track title as the filename annoys me too. The new winamp extracts the info (assuming it's not tagged) from the filename. seems to know most naming conventions and can usually identify all the important info (artists track no, album, title, etc)

I used i tunes for a while and then unconsciously reverted back to winamp cause itunes wasn't easy to use.

FancyGoods said:
i find itunes so slow (on pcs anyway)

takes about 3 minutes to start (no exaggeration) only rips things to m4s which is a pain in the face and its technique for naming your folders by artist/band name and then just using the track title as the filename annoys me too. The new winamp extracts the info (assuming it's not tagged) from the filename. seems to know most naming conventions and can usually identify all the important info (artists track no, album, title, etc)

I used i tunes for a while and then unconsciously reverted back to winamp cause itunes wasn't easy to use.
Mine starts super quick, it can rip mp3s if you want it to, and the design is superunfussy. Me likey.

the thing about itunes that it took me ages to realise is that once you drag a file onto it the programme copies it to the itunes folder then neatly files it away under band/album. I had two copies of mp3s for ages.

Funny itunes story;
I went into O'Sullivan's to look at the new macs once (around the time of the cube) and the ibook they had there had MY itunes library from work on it. At first ithough it was a coincidence that their mac had Big Star and AC/DC on it... then I scrolled down further and further and there was They Might Be Giants stuff I had downloaded and more... IT WAS MY LIBRARY! I was confused and a bit angry. The Mac i was using in town HAD been in to be fixed but that was with typetec not O'Sullivan's. I said it to the lady who was working there and she didn't even know what I was taling about. I walked out thinking I had just dreamed the whole thing, y'know like when you walk and can't hear any footsteps. I left it at that but in retrospect I should have kicked up holy war.

m4a's are mpeg4 audio files. supposed to be a step up on mp3s although i read the encoding specs and they don't seem to do anything much fancier than mp3 during encoding just allow more formats to be encoded and multichannel stuff.

yeah the 3 minutes things is a pain in the ass. any time i unwittingly clicked on a media file my computer would go into that slow-motion state where when you try and bring a hidden window to the forgroung it takes about 30 seconds while it colours it in. all because itunes was loading up. computer works fine with any other software and its pretty high spec.

Anthony said:
what's m4s?
3 minutes to start up!! jaysus, somethings wrong there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back