Music/Film/Art Documentaries/Films (1 Viewer)

josephk

yoo

What are good music films? Specifically ones about DIY culture, punk, indie etc but generally any good, interesting films about music. Documentaries included obviously. As well as music films, ones about DIY culture in general, or art or anything cool. Basically what I am after is documentaries/films about the all encompassing 'art'. I could post this in the documentaries thread but it's mad long and I thought it'd be cool to have one leaning toward specifically 'culture' orientated topics as 'Documentaries' is a pretty wiiide range.

I've seen a good few and am always on the lookout for more, favourites include 'We Jam Econo', 'Instrument' (the Fugazi one), Devil and Daniel Johnston, DIY or Die, Beautiful Losers, American Hardcore etc etc etc.

I have heard good things about 'The Cool School', and I'd love to see the one about K records - 'the shield around the K', but I can't find it anywhere!

I look forward to the results of this thread, I hope it doesn't get merged/moved/etc.
ps - /'s are welcome, if not obligatory.

yoo

What are good music films? Specifically ones about DIY culture, punk, indie etc but generally any good, interesting films about music. Documentaries included obviously. As well as music films, ones about DIY culture in general, or art or anything cool.

what?

Basically what I am after is documentaries/films about the all encompassing 'art'.

oh. Try the documentaries thread, it's full of them

I could post this in the documentaries thread but it's mad long and I thought it'd be cool to have one leaning toward specifically 'culture' orientated topics as 'Documentaries' is a pretty wiiide range.

don't be ridiculous

I've seen a good few and am always on the lookout for more, favourites include 'We Jam Econo', 'Instrument' (the Fugazi one), Devil and Daniel Johnston, DIY or Die, Beautiful Losers, American Hardcore etc etc etc.

oh, that kind of stuff. So it IS music ones you want. You left out Songs for Cassavetes, http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0230803/, you might like it. It's crap though.

The Idlewild best of comes with a DVD documentary that tries very hard to be Instrument, it's alright. You may also want to check out that Pavement documentary that really highlights the lack of interesting things that happened to them.

All those BBC documentaries about prog, synth-pop, krautrock, they're on youtube. And also the Madness of Prince Charming, that's on youtube as well. They might be a bit English for you though.

I don't think they mention that in Our Band Could be Your Life, is it related to the Pixies Purple tape?

while I'm at it, don't watch the Outkast film, dreadful stuff

actually, that was a bit sneery of me, sorry josephk.

But still don't watch the outkast film

Saving for later. There's a certain charm about this period of music history; all commer vans and ford transits, shitty pubs and clubs, facial hair, jumpers for goalposts...

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Saving for later. There's a certain charm about this period of music history; all commer vans and ford transits, shitty pubs and clubs, facial hair, jumpers for goalposts...

Not as cool as having a ford ranch wagon and dudes with matching suits in your 8 piece ensemble though...

Watched this last week. On bbc iplayer. Excellent

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back