Music and Colours (1 Viewer)

Jim Daniels

Burls Forever
Supporter
Since 2000
Website
twitter.com
Does anybody see colours when they listen to music?
Not like Jesus Loves You Sunbeams or anything but more of a fairly strong impression of colour in your head.

When listening to say Rain by the Beatles I see golden yellows and whites. Whereas when listening to Bob Dylan I see browns. With Flaming Lips, its all strong reds and oranges. More claustrophobic music like Jimi Hendrix gives off a smattering of colours.

Its cool, but nobody believes me except me sister. She sees them too.

Just wondering does anybody else get these vibes..?
Is there a technical reason, bright major keys, dark minor keys etc?

Just wondering
Jim

it's called synaesthesia

A condition in which one type of stimulation evokes the sensation of another, as when the hearing of a sound produces the visualization of a color.

it's called synesthesia

http://web.mit.edu/synesthesia/www/synesthesia.html

http://psyche.cs.monash.edu.au/v2/psyche-2-10-cytowic.html

Jimcorr said:
Does anybody see colours when they listen to music?
Not like Jesus Loves You Sunbeams or anything but more of a fairly strong impression of colour in your head.

When listening to say Rain by the Beatles I see golden yellows and whites. Whereas when listening to Bob Dylan I see browns. With Flaming Lips, its all strong reds and oranges. More claustrophobic music like Jimi Hendrix gives off a smattering of colours.

Its cool, but nobody believes me except me sister. She sees them too.

Just wondering does anybody else get these vibes..?
Is there a technical reason, bright major keys, dark minor keys etc?

Just wondering
Jim

Jimcorr said:
When listening to say Rain by the Beatles I see golden yellows and whites.
fuck. as in "how interesting". whatabout the white album? and metallicas black album? and weezers green or blue albums? and fugazi's red album? does a man with your gifts see any correlation between (or are the colours you see influenced by) the name of the album or by the colour schemes on the album cover?

[zero toilets for sentence structure]

got some south african doob a few years ago..saw most of soundgardens superunknown with that.
its grey and black.

who was that deaf composer??? didnt he see tunes?

Donkey OJ said:
.....are the colours you see influenced by the name of the album or by the colour schemes on the album cover?

[zero toilets for sentence structure]

They actually are yeah (especially the colour of album sleeves) and that is a more plausible reason I guess. But it also happens with music which I dont own but hear on the radio. Lo fi music tends not to give off any real colours at all.

I see fullblown images when listening to some music.....daydreaming possibly.
This one song with heavy fast drumming and screaming - i always see Nazi skinheds dancing for some reason(even though the musicis very anti-fascist pro peace stuff)
I see Orange, Yellow and fuzzy stuff when listening to Spacemen 3.

yes, i see colours when i hear sound. different sounds, different colours. always had it. also, if i shut my eyes for even a few seconds at any time i see all sorts of patterns, random faces, landscapes. strange. but it doesnt bother me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back