Multi Region DVD players (1 Viewer)

thegoone said:
i saw it on the internet before

i dont know if you read but benicho del toro is directin the new hunter st film
called the rum diaries (hunters first book)
it stars bennie and johnnie again its called "the rum diaries"

if you havent read the book of F&LILV read it its fuckin deadly
makes you really appreciate how good the film is
because theres more insight to their thaughts

I`ve read F & Loathing, then they made the movie.
I`ve only read half the Rum Diaries, until some git nicked it from the house one night.
I heard ages ago about the rum diaries being made into a film, but hell they`re sure taking their time!
Is it still going ahead?
I heard Johnny Depp was gonna do Thompson again, but if Del Toro is directing, it should make it well interesting, but then again with Del Toro directing, maybe it won`t be as surreal as Terry Gilliam(spelling) would have made it - him being a pro. and all in the realm of surrealism or whatever he does...

Seen the Cronenburg`s, The Naked Lunch yet?
I`ve only seen bits unfortuanately.

Anthony said:
ok, I've been doing a bit of looking around for a Multi-region dvd player. Peats do one for €99 (Ronin made?!). They also do a Pioneer one for €210, I've seen it for €179 elsewhere and you can get it from Amazon for about €100. Philips also do one for €139.

Anyone got one? any recomendations? Stories?

like, can you hook up a dvd player and a video up to the same (old) tv and not have to fumble around with leads everytime you want to change over.
Ours is a Philips Region 2

we bought a good few DVDs in Austin that were cheaper/unavailable earlier this year in the hope we could find a hacking code to make our player multi-region

thankfully we did find one and it works perfectly

I have the Scart going from the DVD to the TV

I can still watch videos but if I want an enhanced picture I have to unplug the DVD Scart from the TV and put in the Video Scart. I then watch the video on the AV channel

I'm going to get a new TV soon - I presume these big fancy ones have two Scart inputs so you're not messing around with leads?

Thanks. Multi region is a must, what with Woody's films being shown for about 5 seconds in the Screen 3 years after they are out in America on dvd.

nlgbbbblth said:
not his best
but worth seeing

Crash is the most enjoyable Cronenberg movie

It's on RTE1 this Christmas Day 3.50pm
Crash is on Christmas Day at 3.50pm!!
Go on RTE!A bit graphic for their liking i wouyod have thought.

rum diaries early next year

crash in my opinion is cronenbergs worst film
theres a few i havent seen im sure

naked lunch is without doubt in the top 3 weirdest films ive seen
near the end is fucked up
half way thru i thaught it had potential to be classic

the fly is excellent
id love to see it again

crash wont be on at 3:50 pm

Must be some mistake. RTE wouldn't show daffodils cross-fertilising before 9pm, never mind someone "getting it in the leg wound" (as we used to say in the FCA).

Anyway, I don't know what you freaks are on, but the best Cronenberg is "Dead Ringers". And while "Videodrome", "The Brood", "The Fly" and "Crash" are great, how come nobody's mentioned "Spider"...?

Nobody seems to know what to make of that one - surely a good thing. It's something of an anomaly even for Cronenberg. Everyone talks about "Cronenberg and body horror" or "Cronenberg and technology" but it's a sign of how confident he has become that he's prepared to lob something like that at us - although quite what else is like "Spider" I couldn't say...

Rimbaud said:
Crash is on Christmas Day at 3.50pm!!
Go on RTE!A bit graphic for their liking i wouyod have thought.

nlgbbbblth said:
ever read Cronenberg on Cronenberg?
Yeah, I thought it was pretty shit - normal dude grows up in a fairly normal, liberal, middle-class household, makes weird films. He doesn't even have particularly good stories to tell about making the films, either.

Gilliam on Gilliam ruled though.

About 3 or 4 years ago - cronenberg released some movie with johnny Depp in it i think?He was in a virtual reality world, one part had him working in a chinese fish factory or something?
All very hazy now - but that film kicked ass...whatever it was called.

bit of a cronenberg fanatic myself, him and the amazing howard shore...

Haven't seen Spider yet, regret not seeing it in the screen, it only lasted about a fortnight...

dead ringers, crash, naked lunch, videodrome, existenze and scanners all amazing moviess

the titals music for dead ringers is prolly one of the best intro's to a movie ever, what with the white pictures on a red background... beautiful

and that book is a great addition to an already deadly series by faber & faber
highly reccomend also the scorsese on scorsese and woody allen on woody allen
conversations with wim wenders is also very inspiring

While touching on the topic of Croneberg and general weirdness, you should check out Pierre Guyotat's 'Eden, Eden, Eden'

Pierre Guyotat's 'Eden, Eden, Eden'
'A new landmark and a starting point for new writing'-Roland Barthes

"Praise from two of the absolute icons of post-structuralism and French philosophy, this book is extreme...
Coming out in France during the 70's, it was immediately banned and remained a proscribed text for the next 11 years.
like Burroughs the landscape is a polluted and apocalyptic zone (in this case the Algerian desert during the time of civil warfare
It mixes up disconnected scenes of really violent butchery and carnage with persistant acts of prostitutional sex and humiliation.
Pierre Guyotat has really been been abhorred and revered in equal measure in France, and the novel is disgustingly absorbing. More a kind of text that Barthes liked, where the language, and repetitive yet broken nature of it, makes our reaction to it odd. It makes you question what you're actually shocked at, and questions the response the reader gives...
I'd really recommend buying it, just because of the mythos surrounding it. But as for actually enjoying it... Well, you might do. "

Review nicked from www.litkicks.com

"Eden, Eden, Eden is an ultraviolent and truly shocking text, a 160 page long paragraph of unrelenting sex and violence. It's beautiful! The subject of the book is the war ravaged landscape of Algeria, but perhaps more importantly the landscape of the body, both intermingle, boundaries blur, bestial prostitutional acts are minutely rendered giving the text an intense physical quality that fends off symbolism and romanticism. Reading this book is like watching the innards of Kurtz's mind spill open."

Review from Amazon..

A second book to get is Octave Mirbeau`s "The Tortue Garden" - written in the 1800`s, is delves into topics rangeing from S&M to torture and nihilism.
Its is a pretty surreal read.Banned also when it was first published.

If your a Cronenberg fanatic or David Lynch fan, these 2 books are essential!

Mirbeau is way ahead of the pack.
Written in the 1800`s it could nearly work as a basis for alot of the shock-weirdness covered in Ballard`s Crash.
And Guyotat's book a good one for its extremism.

Easons or anyother store should be able to order them easily enough.
Gotta hand it to those french....

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back