Multi Region DVD players (2 Viewers)

Anthony

Supporter
Since 2000
Solutions
Website
www.themiddleagesband.com
ok, I've been doing a bit of looking around for a Multi-region dvd player. Peats do one for €99 (Ronin made?!). They also do a Pioneer one for €210, I've seen it for €179 elsewhere and you can get it from Amazon for about €100. Philips also do one for €139.

Anyone got one? any recomendations? Stories?

like, can you hook up a dvd player and a video up to the same (old) tv and not have to fumble around with leads everytime you want to change over.

you should be able
how olds the telly?
if it has scart connection at back youre sorted.

if it doesnt even have teletext and remote controls you could be in trouble

Anthony said:
like, can you hook up a dvd player and a video up to the same (old) tv and not have to fumble around with leads everytime you want to change over.

Depends on the video. Most videos won't allow you to as they have some kinda encription that turns the screen a bit funny. It's to stop you copying DVD's to tape I think

On my old T.V I used to have to plug the DVD player into the Scart on the Video and put the Coax cable from the video into the back of the T.V. The picture would be fine but every now and then the brightness would change. - Really headwreaking.

On my new T.V it has 2 scarts and there's no problem the picture is class.

Anthony said:
ok, I've been doing a bit of looking around for a Multi-region dvd player. Peats do one for €99 (Ronin made?!). They also do a Pioneer one for €210, I've seen it for €179 elsewhere and you can get it from Amazon for about €100. Philips also do one for €139.

Mine is region 2 only. Some region 2 ones can be multi-regionedededed through a code you can input using the remote but some (like sony's) can't and have to be chipped - which I never got done to mine due to being mad lazy, plus it voids the warranty. I'm sure you could find out what brands can and can't be multi-regioned using the remote through the magic of t'inernet. I always had the pair hooked up to the wan telly as well becuase it has 2 scarts and it all worked perfect. Then I got digital so now the video is never, ever used.

Tokey said:
Depends on the video. Most videos won't allow you to as they have some kinda encription that turns the screen a bit funny. It's to stop you copying DVD's to tape I think.
It's actually the dvd itself that won't allow itself to be copied onto tape, i couldn't do it with 'catch me if you can' but i could with a couple of others. Apparantly this can happen with recording off difital tv onto videotape, but it's not happened with anything i've tried to record recently.

Ed said:
It's actually the dvd itself that won't allow itself to be copied onto tape, i couldn't do it with 'catch me if you can' but i could with a couple of others. Apparantly this can happen with recording off difital tv onto videotape, but it's not happened with anything i've tried to record recently.

Ahhhh.......

Actually now you mention it, your dead right. On some DVD's it'd be really bad and then fine on the others.

I got a Pioneer Multi-regional for 190euros - in limerick though.No problems with it except it won`t play VCD`s - at leat i have`nt figured out how to play them.
Dvd`s are cheaper to buy from the states anyways and the range is better.A friend of mine recently got a Meat Puppets dvd for 9dollars!
Still, i can`t seem to get Fear and Loathing on dvd...

ya have to tinker around with the macrovision if you want to copy DVDs onto video, otherwise the player sends a surge to the video player which usually results in a crappy picture (and i think the same is said of sky digital PPV).

Anthony said:

check the model numbers on the cheapo dvd players in power city & currys then look them up here http://www.dvdrhelp.com/dvdplayers.php - there's multi region hacks available for loads of them.

i got one for the ma for 80 quid in currys

Anthony said:
Yes.

Rimbaud said:
I got a Pioneer Multi-regional for 190euros - in limerick though.No problems with it except it won`t play VCD`s - at leat i have`nt figured out how to play them.
Dvd`s are cheaper to buy from the states anyways and the range is better.A friend of mine recently got a Meat Puppets dvd for 9dollars!
Still, i can`t seem to get Fear and Loathing on dvd...

i saw it on the internet before

i dont know if you read but benicho del toro is directin the new hunter st film
called the rum diaries (hunters first book)
it stars bennie and johnnie again its called "the rum diaries"

if you havent read the book of F&LILV read it its fuckin deadly
makes you really appreciate how good the film is
because theres more insight to their thaughts

20611569.JPG

we got this one for about 160 in the philips store on dame st. it's fantastic, multi region *and* slick looking.

Power city are selling a multi region DVD player by a brand called SCOTT. its only 59 euros and is the fuckin business. it has a built in Dolby 5.1 sound system decoder. so all youll need are the speakers. it plays every kind of disc too. i got one a few weeks back, best 59 Euros i ever spent

Anthony said:
59 euro you say.
Power City you say.

where does one find this, power city?
usually in large retail parks attached to large Out of Town Shopping Experiences - there's one in Blanchardstown but it's a way away from the Blanchardstown centre itself. There's also one in Fonthill which is right beside Liffey Valley, and one near the Squar-d in Tallaght.

Unless of course you were joking.

kirstie said:
usually in large retail parks attached to large Out of Town Shopping Experiences - there's one in Blanchardstown but it's a way away from the Blanchardstown centre itself. There's also one in Fonthill which is right beside Liffey Valley, and one near the Squar-d in Tallaght.

Unless of course you were joking.

one in coolock too
unless of course youre all just joking

kirstie said:
Mine is region 2 only. Some region 2 ones can be multi-regionedededed through a code you can input using the remote but some (like sony's) can't and have to be chipped - which I never got done to mine due to being mad lazy, plus it voids the warranty.
You can multi-region a lot of Sonys without chipping, using a laptop or an ipaq or a palm pilot. I multi-region'd my Sony by using the thing on this page: http://www.selen.org/sonydvd.html.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back