Mull Historical Soc • woodstar • volta • grada • cork gigs next week (1 Viewer)

Jim A. Morrish

Website
blog.myspace.com
Half Moon Music presents……

Wednesday 9th April
MULL HISTORICAL SOCIETY
Having just released a brand new single, 'The Final Arrears', followed by the eagerly-anticipated new album, 'Us' on Feb 28th!, Mull (aka Colin McIntyre) is playing a series of tour dates with full band

You might have last seen the DIY musical obsessive, McIntyre, as the greyhound racetrack hare in the video for the exhilarating anthem that was 'Watching Xanadau' from his debut album, 'Loss', the lo-fi indie-pop on a grand scale, which reaped critical acclaim by the bucketload, earned Mull a support slot on The Strokes tour, and McIntyre a reputation as one of *the* finds of the last few years.

"a sugar rush to the synapses, a playful pleasure" - UNCUT ****
"quirkily brilliant, but more brilliant than quirky" - THE GUARDIAN ****
"time to apply for membership" - Q ****
"a beacon of originality" - TIME OUT
Doors:9pm___ Tickets: €10

Wednesday 10th April
Volta Sounds Tour 2003 feat. Leagues O’Toole (DJ set)

Volta Sounds a recording label founded by music writer and No Disco presenter Leagues O’Toole and David O’Grady. Volta Sounds isn’t based on any long-winded manifestos. Our motives are simply to help record and release music by artists of no specific genre of music who we really believe in. Volta Sounds relies on home-cookin’ over swanky restaurants, open-fires over central heating and goodwill over bad cheques.

The Sounds:
Jape: Jape is the new solo project of Richie Egan, bassist with the magnificent Redneck Manifesto and the David Kitt band. Employing a very diverse range of styles, Richie leaps back and forth from raw acoustic pop songs to catchy electronics, hip-hop, Stereolab-style groovers and vocoder jams in a dreamy, spacey pop album called Cosmosphere, due for release in April.

Messiah J & the Expert: Formerly known as Creative Controle, Messiah J & the Expert are an emcee and producer hip-hop duo.

Goodtime John: Goodtime John released his debut album Brought Four Ways Out of Town in 2002. Tapping into Americana roots music as well as classic pop songwriting, GTJ lays a lovely lilting voice over rich instrumentation.

Doors:9pm___ Tickets: €10

Friday 11th April
Gráda
In the space of 18 months, Gráda have risen to become one of the leading traditional groups in Ireland. Their claims have been supported not only by their youthful, energetic live performances, but also by their stunning new CD, Endeavour, described by The Irish Times as “an eye-popping debut”. The CD was produced by musical genius Trevor Hutchinson (of the Waterboys, Sharon Shannon, and Lunasa). It features a mix of revitalised traditional tunes and self-penned tracks. Gráda boasts a top line-up of musicians, including Alan Doherty, lead soloist in the award winning Lord of the Rings soundtrack.

__“This is a band with star quality…The hottest new traditional band around" - Event Guide
"Simply Spectacular. A Fresh Wind, Jazzy Tones" - Zeitung (Germany) “Multicultural backgrounds help bring a fresh approach to playing and present a unique slant on traditional music.” - Irish Music Magazine
Doors: 9pm___ Tickets: €10

Saturday 12th April
WOODSTAR
Formed in the summer of 2000, by the collective union of mind and sound, a five piece band whose influences are wide and varied from Dylan & Bowie to Smog & Red House Painters. woodstar believe the song is bigger than both its parts and its players. woodstar attempt to turn pain into beauty by means of music, one of the few ways in which such a glorious transformation can occur.

The results were a revelation to the band, without even trying, they had found a sound, one which was not contrived or forced but real and natural. On October the 6th 2000, woodstar played "These Scars" correctly for the first time. It was a great moment.

“Woodstar have broken free from the obvious comparisons to craft a rather thrilling sound of their own. Dense waves of guitars and keyboards crash on a rock-solid shoreline, making for an exhilarating splash of noise” – Irish Times
Doors: 9pm___ Tickets: €8

Booking: 021 – 454 3210 / 427 0022
Tickets for all shows Available In Advance From Cork Opera House & Central Box Office, Grand Parade.

Jim,

Are you a gig promoter now..i.e. do you run events or are you just posting the listings for peoples information??

Also, is Emmet Bandicoot still operating down there??

Just wondering like

Thanks

I'm not a promoter, however I do print and design for loads of venues/clubs and promoters around the country and part of our service is helpng to spread the word of their respective events, plus I go to a lot of gigs myself, do an indie radio show in Cork and a website (currently offline for re-design, back in about 2-3 weeks) so it's half work/half hobby.

yes, emmet is still promoting down here, has a load of stuff coming up including ex-girl, chalets, giveamanakick, soledad brothers, apes, acid mothers temple, justin sullivan, jetplane landing, and others I can't quite recall at this late hour.

e-mail me if you want to contact him, my e-mail is [email protected]

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back