mosquito bastards (1 Viewer)

Rachel666

is it mosquitos? there are loud scary buzzing things going around our house causing us all rashey bitten misery. is there something i can do to stop my blood being so delicious?

taking vitamin b supplements is also supposed to help but it doesn't help me.

when i get bitten by things my body reacts really badly. specifically on my lower legs. bites end up looking like actual size werther's original stuck to my ankles.

If the bites are really bothering you take an anti-histamine or put on some anti-histamine cream.

My multi-pronged prevention strategy is:

• Mozzie net on the bed
  • Electric fly grid turned on a la at the butcher's
  • Vape repellent dispenser (like a plug in air freshener)
  • Can of Raid on bedside table
  • Old fashioned fly swatter for emergencies
  • Vitamin B12 supplements (works, but not sustainable)
  • Citronella candles and repellent incense while outside
  • DEET

We are plagued by the bastards and become obsessed with them to the point of having conversations about 'the integrity of the sanctuary being violated' when there's a gap in the mozzie net. This happened the other day and one of them had a little fiesta on my side and now I've got about 9 welts in a trail beside each other.

The only thing that is really effective is the DEET but it will probably give you seven-armed babies so watch out.

the first thing i would do is get rid of any sources of stagnant water near your house. i've never known mosquitoes to be a bad problem in ireland, and any time i've seen them in a house i've lived in they dissappeared pretty quickly once we got rid of/turned upside down any empty jars/watering cans/buckets etc that could gather water.

Artificial container floodwater mosquito species prefer such items as jars, cans, tires or any other item that can hold sufficient water long enough for breeding, usually longer than three days. These mosquitoes are frequently a major source of backyard annoyance in urban areas. Adults tend to remain very close to their breeding sites so removing these containers is a good control method. (via http://insects.tamu.edu/extension/publications/3mosquit.html)

May I suggest listening to the Pro's:

"The African Queen
In 1951, Bogart starred in the movie The African Queen, with Katharine Hepburn, again directed by his friend John Huston. It was a difficult shoot, on location in Africa and just about everyone in the cast came down with dysentery except Bogart and John Huston. Bogart explained: "I built a solid wall of scotch between me and the bugs. If a mosquito bit me, he'd fall over dead drunk."

http://www.hollywoodusa.co.uk/GlendaleObituaries/humphreybogart.htm

Bastards. Who do they think they are coming over here from France and stealing all our jobs....i mean, blood.

i bought a net recently and the thing has a fucking door in it which is very difficult to close properly. this morning the door was wide open when i woke up and i was covered in bites.

. this morning the door was wide open when i woke up and i was covered in bites.
Hell , they are getting smarter! .

I suffered mozzies in Canada and (I think I posted this somewhere before) , I'm afraid to say , after trying every non chemical recommendation out there , i resorted to DEET (fully knowing that it can melt pens and sleeping bags if is not washed from your hands properly).

Sorted those bastards out .
Even if it makes your babies grow extra arms , at least they will be able to swat the mozzies easily.

i had a cockroach infestation in my tent last summer, those things fucking freak me out so i sprayed them with deet as they crawled around the inside of my tent (i kindly ushered as many as possible out using various methods first). it was my fault because it turned out they were really attached to a piece of slightly damp cardboard i nicked from the food supplies as a groundmat. the deet melted the shell onto the inner tent wherever i'd sprayed it. whoops. killed the horrible fuckers though. didn't stop the mozzies from biting me however.

May I suggest listening to the Pro's:

"The African Queen
In 1951, Bogart starred in the movie The African Queen, with Katharine Hepburn, again directed by his friend John Huston. It was a difficult shoot, on location in Africa and just about everyone in the cast came down with dysentery except Bogart and John Huston. Bogart explained: "I built a solid wall of scotch between me and the bugs. If a mosquito bit me, he'd fall over dead drunk."

http://www.hollywoodusa.co.uk/GlendaleObituaries/humphreybogart.htm

Hmm, I've been on the piss a lot lately and have noticed that I actually have more bites than usual. Not sure if it's due to excess sugar in the blood, being outside at night more, or being drunk and therefore being lax in "sanctuary integrity".

I have about a hundred midge bites running up and down both legs right now. Little cunts.

ht_philadelphia_051209_ssh.jpg

If the bites are really bothering you take an anti-histamine or put on some anti-histamine cream.

• Electric fly grid turned on a la at the butcher's

for fear of challenging conventional wisdom mosquitoes don't go for UV light. They go for CO2, water vapour, animal smells. They'll randomly fly into that yoke and get killed, but more often you'll end up killing loads of other insects, some of which will take out mossies.
Loads of other things kill mosquitoes, so killing them with pesticides is going to kill them in turn, => more mosquitoes.

Burning citronella works well for me. And Antihistamine is very smart. Its not the bite that messes you up, its your immune system that causes the pain.

we'd torture these massive horsefly things in the Andes.
They were equipped with what looked like a bolt cutters in their gobs, and weren't shy about using it.
It felt like someone using a bolt cutters on you too.
Thing was they were a bit stupid once they got to a certain altitude, they knew they wanted to use their bolt cutters on you, but everything was playing at 1/10 speed in their heads.
So we'd catch them and reef their wings off, and they'd stagger about manfully trying to hop onto us and start their butchering.

Sounds bad but when you've been caught in a swarm, or flock would be apropos, you'd have no sympathy.

Tabanos is what they are called. They'd be coming at you like birds.
cabezota.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back