MOOG Prodigy Help (1 Viewer)

george mcfly

My Name Is Prince.
Anyone got a service manual for this?

having a bit of a problem with tuning.
for example, if i tune a low c the high c is a fraction out
not sure if it's something internal or if it's something i'm not doing right with the tuners on the back panel

any help much appreciated

george mcfly said:
Anyone got a service manual for this?

having a bit of a problem with tuning.
for example, if i tune a low c the high c is a fraction out
not sure if it's something internal or if it's something i'm not doing right with the tuners on the back panel

any help much appreciated

There's a servive manual here http://www.physicsenterprises.andrews.edu/diy_archive/manuals/moog/index.html#prod

Quite technical though. It sounds like the octave scale is off on your tuning. Either that are the thermal tuning receptors are broken. They keep the synth in tune by regulating the temperature.

Don't know anything bout moogs but a note (e.g. 'C') that's twelve semitones up from another one with the same name (e.g. 'c') is naturally a little out of tune with it. Instruments are 'tempered' to make the relationship between intervals exact. Might have somethin to do with it or might not.

Skink said:
Don't know anything bout moogs but a note (e.g. 'C') that's twelve semitones up from another one with the same name (e.g. 'c') is naturally a little out of tune with it. Instruments are 'tempered' to make the relationship between intervals exact. Might have somethin to do with it or might not.

That's pretty much true. Analogue synths like the moogs were always a compromise tuning-wise. I suppose that's part of the reason people like them. But, the problem with moogs is that they adopted a different protocol from every other synth manufacturer by using a different voltage step for tuning. Most other synths used 1 volt per semitone but moog decided on 1.5. This in itself led to all kinds of problems in tuning stability. The Minimoogs are notoriously bad for tuning. On the other hand a minimoog only 3 oscillators consider tuning a Yamaha CS-80 which had two oscillators per note on a three octave keyboard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back