Mod-ren life lifestyles (1 Viewer)

for more academic reading you could look up foucault who wrote a lot about power, social order etc. and how it relates to the use of space. Davies draws from foucault's ideas in city of quartz (which is a great book by the way)

Thanks, dudes. I sent some of those suggestions off to my pal.

Not sure what exactly he's working on, but if it's in keeping with what he frequently works on, I think his query wasn't necessarily about non-motorised transport in general, but looking for general works on how people get around that would help shed light on how people engage with heritage sites.

For example, while people have always driven to heritage sites (because in some ways, the development of the 'heritage site' as we know it gave people something to drive to on weekends and holidays), was walking and cycling to them previously more common? My guess is it has to do with the context of the site. If you're driving from one site to the next, your experience of them is site-based, you're more likely to see it as consuming information about a site, whereas when you walk or cycle or otherwise move more slowly through the landscape, you're taking in a broader experience of a landscape, in which the site is a part, not so much a 'place' in itself.

In other words, how does how we travel between heritage/archaeological/historical sites affect how we engage with them, and therefore, perhaps, how we might protect, conserve, and plan for their future conservation?

May also have something to do with this project, which I think is well cool:

http://www.britarch.ac.uk/BA/ba92/feat2.shtml

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back