Mod-ren life lifestyles (1 Viewer)

jane

Website
www.ittybittyhearingtrumpet.wordpress.com
A mate of mine wonders:

jane's mate said:
I’m seeking out any key recent works on the pace of modern life - the fact that increasingly people travel faster, further, more often etc, and that the ways in which people often engage directly with the historic environment (by walking, cycling etc) are rapidly declining in popularity, at least in the UK. I feel sure there must be recent books out there on the subject, presumably in the psychology and or cultural/social geography fields.

If anyone knows of anything I’d be grateful.

Many thanks.

He's an archaeologist who works with artists, activists, and loads of other stuff, and sometimes does work that borders on being conceptual art. He's got deadly ideas. He's done some cool stuff with the protest camps at Greenham Common and in the Nevada desert.

Do any of yiz know of any books or articles about the use of space/engagement with the urban/rural/suburban/exurban environment, beyond the obvious (like Mike Davis)? Even if it's a zine article or summat, I'm sure he'd be interested.

i don't know if cycling rapidly is declining in popularity, but cycling as a form of commuting is.

You could be onto something there. Possibly something to do with the mass exodus to the new housing schemes in the countryside?

A mate of mine wonders:

He's an archaeologist who works with artists, activists, and loads of other stuff, and sometimes does work that borders on being conceptual art. He's got deadly ideas. He's done some cool stuff with the protest camps at Greenham Common and in the Nevada desert.

Do any of yiz know of any books or articles about the use of space/engagement with the urban/rural/suburban/exurban environment, beyond the obvious (like Mike Davis)? Even if it's a zine article or summat, I'm sure he'd be interested.

speed.jpg

has he look into slow design/cities/food?

I know some of the people involved in this.. http://www.slowlab.net

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-2]The times we live in are fast.[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-2]Fast food, media soundbytes, speedy information networks, rapid, global flows of goods and services, an over-saturated and ever-growing commercial landscape...... Daily life has become a cacophony of experiences that disable our senses, disconnect us from one another and damage the environment.[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-2]But deep experience of the world-- meaningful and revealing relationships with the people, places and things we interact with-- requires many speeds of engagement, and especially the slower ones.[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-2]'Slowness' is a holistic approach to creative thinking, process and outcomes. [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-2]It envisions positive human and environmental impacts of designed products, environments and systems, while constructively critiquing the processes and technologies of which they are born. It celebrates local, close-mesh networks of people and industry, it preserves and draws upon our cultural diversity, and it relies on the open sharing of ideas and information to arrive at innovative solutions to contemporary challenges.[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-2]Slowness is not time-based. It doesn't refer to how long it takes to make or do something, but rather describes the individual's elevated state of awareness in the process of creation, the quality of its tangible outcomes and a richer experience for the community it engages. [/SIZE][/FONT]​

they list a few books he may be into

http://www.slowlab.net/resources.html

Slow Walk' across London Bridge by artist Ohad Fishof. London (England), 21 Jun 2005, 8:00 am til dusk more info>

A Geography of Time: The Temporal Misadventures of a Social Psychologist, or How Every Culture Keeps Time Just a Little Bit Differently [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]by Robert V. Levine (Basic Books 1998) ISBN 0-465-02642-7[/FONT]

Urban Place: Reconnecting with the Natural World by Peggy F. Bartlett (MIT Press 2005) ISBN 0-262-52443-0 more info>

A lot is borrowed from the CittaSlow and Slow food movements
http://www.slowlab.net/slow cities.html

A mate of mine wonders:

No idea about that but from the general stuff he was asking this might be useful, here's another site on the buke.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back