Mint Restaurant (1 Viewer)

Daisy's Dukes

Did anyone see the documentary on the attempts of Dylan McGrath, the chef in Mint Restaurant in Ranelagh to get a Michelen star? It wasn't bad. He's an incredibly intense guy and is of the Gordon Ramsey, screaming and cursing at his staff ilk. I just couldn't warm to him in anyway.

Has anyone ever eaten there? I always meant to give it a go but the prices tended to turn me off

Yeah, he came off as quite strange on it. Lots of hugging at the end though. Did you notice that between the start and the finish most of the guys working in the kitchen had changed?

Yeah, very strange person. As passionate as he was he never looked he was enjoying what he did. And he didn't seem that happy at the end when he found out he got the star. I think he said himself that due to the intensity of the situation not many of the staff lasted. I mean the size of the kitchen alone could send a man insane. I felt so sorry for the poor waiter who arrived to help out and who he promptly fucked out of the place. Also, I thought the decor of the restaurant was completely wack and uninspired.

I've been there for lunch. The room is small, a bit 90s, generally empty (thought the Michelin star has probably changed that). The staff are hyper-attentive and a bit autistic (all fussily French). You can hear the screams coming from the kitchen as Dylan loses the rag. The food is hyper-fussy; phenomenal produce, technically perfect, crazy ideas, but ultimately soulless and vapid. The whole experience is somewhat joyless. Troy Maguire of Lock's describes it as like sitting an exam, and he's not far wrong.
Dinner is €35 for 2 courses / €43 for 3; so it's not exorbidant for a restaurant at that level; definitely worth it for the experience.

i've had dinner there - it is pretty fussy (everything seems to come in about seven different sections to be combined artistically at the table) but the food is really good, i thought. worth a visit for the experience, i'd say.

tip: if you go, do not order the petits fours with your coffee if you are already stuffed. they are an entire extra zillion desserts (including candy floss and home made icepops), and they are yummy, and you will eat them all, and then you will feel slightly ill.

A couple of times a year I get as far as the window of Mint, look at the menu, and decide there is nothing I want to eat. I'm not a picky eater, but I'm just not into foie gras and/or offal.

At least now that it's Michelin starred instead of just another neighbourhood restaurant I don't feel the same need to try it.

Am I weird?

A couple of times a year I get as far as the window of Mint, look at the menu, and decide there is nothing I want to eat. I'm not a picky eater, but I'm just not into foie gras and/or offal.

At least now that it's Michelin starred instead of just another neighbourhood restaurant I don't feel the same need to try it.

Am I weird?

but it's offal-y good!

*falls over at own witticism*

actually, i didn't have either foie gras or offal the time i was there (and i do like offal) - afair it was something crab-based for starters and sole for mains.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back