Minor Pleasures (10 Viewers)

yeah like just like a few watts in every house, school, shop and public building in the entire westernised world along with the street strings and inflatable plastic things and what not.
A few Watts at christmas you say?

pflMmP.gif

Rolling Stones No GIF by tylaum

In fairness, 0.2 % is still a big number given the scale of the country and the fact that it is purely decorative.

Also, Pete defending the Christmas?

In fairness, 0.2 % is still a big number given the scale of the country and the fact that it is purely decorative.

Also, Pete defending the Christmas?

the 0.2 is a bad description because energy isn't stored over 12 month periods, it's consumed or not consumed in real time - to get 0.2% increase over 52 weeks, you have to increase 2.6% for the 4 weeks or less of xmas lights.

I love and will always love sitting down for a big meal with as many members of my family/friends that can be gathered just around the peak of the winter dark period but I'm a realist and am allowed to consider the actions of the people i've to live on the same planet as.

well if we're being realistic I'd be interested in seeing the methodology behind the calculation of that "6.63 billion kwh" figure... but not interested enough to look it up now, beyond seeing that the original statistic is from 2008 and I would be surprised if most people hadn't switched to far more efficient LED lights since then...

and if we're considering the actions of others at Christmas, then everyone going vegetarian would have a pretty big positive impact on the planet too

Aye.

I passed the neighbours earlier and all three of thier trees still have the lights on. They don't have kids and two people live in the house. Then there's one down the road that someone could probably land a plane on - they do have a kid but it's mosly an indoor creature, which is probably because it'll take a few years for it to figure out how to get out of cocaine mansion over there.

Call me crazy but I feel like there's an easy carbon reduction here somewhere.

On the food thing apparently the turkey/ham combo is actually a bit of a brit thing that people adopted not even that long ago - sorta like the crown tv show but food - and i think goose was the irish tradition before that - the mechanic behind it being that you'd throw food waste at the goose for months and then when it got dark and cold *finger across neck guesture*.

My food peak for xmas is when someone gives me a cheese board and i use it to make a five cheese cheese toastie at 1am after a few cans.

Aye.

I passed the neighbours earlier and all three of thier trees still have the lights on. They don't have kids and two people live in the house. Then there's one down the road that someone could probably land a plane on - they do have a kid but it's mosly an indoor creature, which is probably because it'll take a few years for it to figure out how to get out of cocaine mansion over there.

Call me crazy but I feel like there's an easy carbon reduction here somewhere.

On the food thing apparently the turkey/ham combo is actually a bit of a brit thing that people adopted not even that long ago - sorta like the crown tv show but food - and i think goose was the irish tradition before that - the mechanic behind it being that you'd throw food waste at the goose for months and then when it got dark and cold *finger across neck guesture*.

My food peak for xmas is when someone gives me a cheese board and i use it to make a five cheese cheese toastie at 1am after a few cans.

Not sure we can blame aping the Brits for turkey - bigger birds that were cheaper to rear than geese and so became the norm. Although you’re correct that they only became the norm mid last century (40s-50s). Goose would have been the traditional bird in Uk too (if the muppets Xmas carol has taught me anything)

No idea on the ham, but giving the prevalence of pigs/bacon in Irish culture historically it may have been traditional??

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back