Minor Pleasures (13 Viewers)

The democratic nature of the mass-marketed compilation album.

Listening to Hits 54 now.

First half of disc 2
  1. Blazin' Squad : Crossroads
  2. Oasis : Little by Little
  3. Aqualung : Strange and Beautiful (I'll Put a Spell on You)
  4. Kelly Osbourne : Papa Don't Preach
  5. The Calling : Adrienne
  6. JJ72 : Formulae
  7. Suede : Positivity
  8. The Flaming Lips : Do You Realize??
  9. LeAnn Rimes : Life Goes On
  10. Natalie Imbruglia : Beauty on the Fire
as an expert in these things how do the Hits compilations measure up to the Now compilations?

Rode my bike into town this morning and got coffee, treats for the dogs, some fresh strawberries for a tart I'm making tomorrow and on the way 'home' passed a field with tons of lambs. Managed not to get caught in the rain too.

as an expert in these things how do the Hits compilations measure up to the Now compilations?

Now is a brand, clearly defined and recognisable. Plenty muscle from Universal / Virgin / EMI and had an expert compiler in Ashley Abram [who put together 2 - 81]. Since he left it's floundered a little bit but 85 and 86 are strong [especially the latter's banging second disc]. As a pop showpiece number 68 is pretty great.

Hits is a Sony / Warner / BMG vehicle and started well back in Christmas 1984. It was a serious rival for the first few years but started to question its own ability [unnumbered ninth volume, then the Monster Hits transformation] and went through some odd re-branding before fizzling out in 1991. Since then it was re-launched multiple times with different names before eventually grinding to a halt in 2006. The later ones saw them nick a lot of good songs from their rivals leaving the "flop pop" Now 55 effort. You get curveballs like JJ72 and Lilys popping up in the midst of the manufactured stuff. Overall they're not as good and somewhat sloppy at times but worth picking up for pence. They also have no sleevenotes which is a pain.

Go back 20/25 years and the market was bigger. You had the likes of Smash Hits, Telstar's Greatest Hits Of XXXX and The Brit Awards all fighting out for sales. There was a fair bit of overlap but it wasn't complete. Not to mention the various dance series like Deep Heat etc. All changed now.

Lovely morning in the pub. carne asada in in the slowcooker. be finished around8pm. plenty of time for guacamole and press up some tortillas from the masa that I made last night.

I commissioned a picture from a great illustrator for a big family event later this year

Just saw the result--amazing

Now I have to keep it a secret for four months

Apart from telling you guys about it

I commissioned a picture from a great illustrator for a big family event later this year

Just saw the result--amazing

Now I have to keep it a secret for four months

Apart from telling you guys about it

What does this mean? A family portrait?

And aren't you a great illustrator?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back