Minor Pleasures (5 Viewers)

AHA!

So thats what spectrum analysers are also good for and why they are more useful than I thought.

Jennifer Herrema said:
We were only signed to Virgin for a three-album deal, and we set those parameters-- 60s, 70s, 80s-- to see where we were at that time; it was more conceptual than anything. I mean, none of those records particularly sound like those decades, but we employed different methods and utilized different signifiers of those decades. Like, on Sweet Sixteen, every song was four minutes, which was a reference to the 70s, where AM radio would play tons of songs that were that long. And at the time we were making it, a three minute song was pushing it.

As far as Accelerator, when listening to the radio in the 80s, everything seemed to have a semi-pop ease. Nothing was very difficult; the music on the radio didn't take me to depths, it just had a pop sensibility. So we would run any given pop song-- whether it be the Archies, Britney Spears, Duran Duran-- through a spectrum analyzer and actually see the peaks and valleys, and what dictated that pop sensibility as far as EQ and dynamics. Then we'd run our stuff through the same spectrum analyzer and clamp down on compressing to make them visual reproductions of particular pop songs.

http://pitchfork.com/features/interviews/8974-royal-trux/

any idea what that translates to money-wise?

I'd imagine the band's cut from that must be about 2 grand maximum.

Also, any idea how the album is doing? Its a pretty atrocious album. Some great tunes but some of the worst crap I've ever heard from anyone also.

Rough figures

12" sells for £6.
CD sells for £5.
Downloads sells for £1.69.

The band's cut is unlikely to be very high.

The album entered the chart at #9 and lasted another two weeks. It's growing on me but still in the bottom three PSB LPs. I bought both vinyl and CD versions - the vinyl is a double and cost over twice as much as the CD (which is also a two-disc release).

I never got either of those. I only bought the latest one on a whim because I'd rekindled an obsession I had years ago with Disco.

Should I check them out?

I'd recommend Fundamental anyway - it's decent. Yes has the touch of a Xenomania producer so takes longer to get into. If you need a some burns of either I can do that.

I'm presuming she pays him

MV5BMTcwNDQ3NTEyOF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMTIzNTQ1OA@@._V1._SX640_SY960_.jpg

That was mean. Sorry.

I like her really.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back