Minor Pleasures (14 Viewers)

I was at that gig too, I wasn't mad about the selection of songs but I remember he was in flying form, gave it loads. That's the lay toner I saw him too. Tried to get tickets for the vicar St gigs but the price was shocking for a solo gig, I don't care how legendary he is

The Vicar St gig wasn't legendary. I wasn't at it but it came out on a DVD with the Greendale album. Basically he just played the Greendale album, which personally I love and hence would have loved that gig.

I remember Gerry Ryan, who was at the gig, talking about it the next morning on his radio show, trying to be convincing about how great a show it was when in reality, it was some old fart playing a heap of songs no-one knew.

a big star + vicar st does not automatically amount to something good.

Yeah, basically i think he's way over rated, there's only a fairly small amount of his stuff that i think is any good, but as i was saying a page or so ago i've decided to stop worrying about that. I had never heard his song "Mideast Vacation" before yesterday. The dreadful lyrics are a minor pleasure

I used to watch "Highway Patrol"
Whittlin' with my knife
But the thought never struck me
I'd be black and white for life
I was raised on law and order
In a community of strife
Became a restless boarder
And I never took a wife.

I went lookin' for Khaddafi
Aboard Air Force One
But I never did find him
And the C.I.A. said Son,
You'll never be a hero
Your flyin' days are done
It's time for you to go home now
Stop sniffin' that smokin' gun.

I was travellin' with my family
In the Mideast late one night
In the hotel all was quiet
The kids were out like little lights
Then the street was filled with jeeps
There was an explosion to the right
They chanted "Death to America"
I was feelin' like a fight.

So I ran downstairs
And out into the street
Someone kicked me in the belly
Someone else kissed my feet
I was Rambo in the disco
I was shootin' to the beat
When they burned me in effigy
My vacation was complete.
[ Lyrics from: http://www.lyricsfreak

Neil young in the Point back in 2001 with Crazy Horse is probably in my top three gigs of all time,fucking phenomenal
they were obscenely loud!!
seen him at Glasto,and Malahide since...not a patch on that gig!

I was at that Point gig and the Malahide one, thought the Malahide one was marginally better (with the O2 gig from a couple of years ago about as enjoyable, just less than the Crazy Horse Point gig). Though, I'll go against what has been posted above and say that the Vicar St. gig was far and away one of the best gigs I've ever seen by anyone. Yes he played all of Greendale which I know most people don't rate but I loved (I think mostly due to having heard it all live first). However, that was only half the set and the DVD didn't include the hour or so of old songs he also played. The night we went he did "Heart of Gold", "Old Man", "Long May You Run" and "Ambulance Blues" amongst others.

I wasn't at the Point gig but was at Malahide and the O2. Malahide was great but then it was a lovely sunny evening in a beautiful setting (although the organisation left a bit to be desired that night - I recall ranting about it on here at the time). The O2 was more or less the same show as Malahide only in that shitty arena, my seat being too fucking far back. So I just didn't enjoy it at all.

I really enjoyed his gig at slane in 93, can't imagine myself enjoying a slane gig now but at the time it was great. The other gigs I saw were either with crazy horse or pearl jam and full on guitar screeching gigs, the slane one had booker t and lady backing singers and was much more varied

So long as they don't tell me during the songs. I'd be delighted with that kind of thing on the pub afterwards. I don't know if I'd go see him again though.

no, this isn't in that context at all. Its purely a case of him wanting me to know how much he knows about Neil Young and how little I know about him.

I have just about every poxy Neil Young album but I'm not a real fan because I haven't seen him play live on every continent.

I've just had a plate of my excellent Tuna and Chorizo pasta..followed by a nice cup of coffee.

Heres the thing though..the coffee tastes like KIMBERLY biscuits!

no, this isn't in that context at all. Its purely a case of him wanting me to know how much he knows about Neil Young and how little I know about him.

I have just about every poxy Neil Young album but I'm not a real fan because I haven't seen him play live on every continent.

tell him to shut it

51%2BVq2GwtbL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

picked this up on vinyl for a fiver. best album cover ever (apart from the tain)

Yeah, basically i think he's way over rated, there's only a fairly small amount of his stuff that i think is any good [\QUOTE]

Ah jaysus. I dont care about whether any of his gigs in the last 30 years or so have been any good or not, or how many shite songs he has come up with over that time .... his output between about 68 and 78 is untouchable. Over rated my hole.

Neil Young is NOT a pleasure for me.

Dancing around your apartment to Talking Heads because no one is there to make fun of you.
In addition, polishing the floor with the fuzzy sock dancing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back