Middle aged pleasures (1 Viewer)

Just back from me first ever holliers in France, near Bordeaux, just so beautiful. Even got me a vineyard tour in proper middle aged pleasure fashion.
Bordeaux itself is gorgeous. Had a car and drove around the 'burbs a bit, was expectionally clean and well maintained, great cycle lanes, bins everywhere etc. Hard not to compare it to Dublin. Did a tour and the guide explained that Bordeaux was in bits and a kip in the 90s and they just said 'Non!', and properly reimagined and invested in the city. Huge turnaround in twenty years.

Bordeauxs lovely! Last year I did some cycling around Bordeaux and Saint-Emillion.
The investment in making it less about the car and more about the person has really paid off, it's a really pleasant place to amble around and grab a pastry and coffee during "rush hour".
Feels far more of a livable city than Dublin.

Feels far more of a livable city than Dublin.
Yep. Our last lunch was in a small square in a neighbourhood on the outskirts of the airport. Started getting palpitations as there was not one, not two, not three, but FOUR patisseries to be seen from my seat.
They've fuckin' nailed the livable city priorities right there.

Difficult to NOT compare any city you visit to Dublin. Dublin generally comes out badly.

Although on my last bus journey from the airport a group of three British tourists got on and tried to pay with card. "cash only" said the driver. Huge disappointment on their faces (we'd already been waiting the guts of an hour). The driver says "get on and I'll stop at a cash machine".
An hour later at their destination they were getting off the bus in Navan and one of them questions the driver, how will we pay? Driver just gestures for them to get off and forget about it.
You're in Ireland now, I thought.
That "ah sure go on" attitude is what we love and hate about this country.

Bordeaux is nice but hot and full of mozzies.

Coming back from France or Germany or even Spain the first thing you notice is how downtrodden Dublin is. In Paris people are immaculate. You don't see a scuffed shoe or a frayed trouser or a split end. Even the skangers and the homeless look chouette. The first thing you notice in Dublin is the lack of attention to clothing and hair - but that's to do with individuals' financial status more than their own standards and is really not their fault. The second thing you notice is the grime and lack of upkeep of the city. I'm not sure if this is to do with the "ah sure" culture so much as the back-of-brown-envelope style hemorrhaging of capital by avaricious people who think nothing of the penetrating value of beauty or elegance. Though maybe we need more rigorous individuals in public regulatory positions. You'd wonder why this is not the case as there are plenty of these types in the private sector, in my experience.

Difficult to NOT compare any city you visit to Dublin. Dublin generally comes out badly.

Although on my last bus journey from the airport a group of three British tourists got on and tried to pay with card. "cash only" said the driver. Huge disappointment on their faces (we'd already been waiting the guts of an hour). The driver says "get on and I'll stop at a cash machine".
An hour later at their destination they were getting off the bus in Navan and one of them questions the driver, how will we pay? Driver just gestures for them to get off and forget about it.
You're in Ireland now, I thought.
That "ah sure go on" attitude is what we love and hate about this country.
The cash machine comment was so no one else kicked up

This is good bus driving, and good people management

Clone this dude

In Paris people are immaculate. You don't see a scuffed shoe or a frayed trouser or a split end. Even the skangers and the homeless look chouette. The first thing you notice in Dublin is the lack of attention to clothing and hair - but that's to do with individuals' financial status more than their own standards and is really not their fault. The second thing you notice is the grime and lack of upkeep of the city.

Coming back from France or Germany or even Spain the first thing you notice is how downtrodden Dublin is. In Paris people are immaculate. You don't see a scuffed shoe or a frayed trouser or a split end. Even the skangers and the homeless look chouette. The first thing you notice in Dublin is the lack of attention to clothing and hair - but that's to do with individuals' financial status more than their own standards and is really not their fault. The second thing you notice is the grime and lack of upkeep of the city. I'm not sure if this is to do with the "ah sure" culture so much as the back-of-brown-envelope style hemorrhaging of capital by avaricious people who think nothing of the penetrating value of beauty or elegance. Though maybe we need more rigorous individuals in public regulatory positions. You'd wonder why this is not the case as there are plenty of these types in the private sector, in my experience.
Berlin too. I thought I had invaded the set of a Netflix show. Everyone was beautiful.

There's fuck all civic pride really
You can see it when you are elsewhere

A shocking amount of people don't give a fuck about doing their job well
And the city reflects that, top to bottom

I'm always amazed when people say they have been to Dublin and loved it
Like fucking how?

People in Dublin actually do care about each other though. I've been struck in, say, Germany in particular how families sit separately, as their own little unit. The parents, thin and beautiful, don't interact with anyone but their kids, and encourage their kids to do the same. They're nice, they're polite and decent - they just keep to their own. Then, people stare at you if you stand out in the slightest - for example, if you are having a picnic in a non-picnic area, or crossing the street where you're not supposed to. At first I took this as rudeness or perhaps we looked scruffy, but then I realised that it's because they're interested in others, which is natural. They crave connection and it's just not the done thing to chat with a stranger, so they look instead. That sort of self control I believe is what is responsible for the clean streets and lack of noise after exactly 9.15 PM. Which is great, and the minute you're back in Dublin you see people doing the exact opposite. But I don't know, maybe people need a bit of friendliness more than clean streets.

The entire internet seems to have become one big complaint about Dublin.

I don't mind it tbh. I've been to nicer places and I've lived in worse .

The Luas is great. There was a fellow on it yesterday with a tv remote control sticking out of his back pocket. I think he was pretending it was his phone.

In fact I have nothing of value to add to the conversation which is my middle age pleasure..just waffling on

Dublin's great despite Owen Keegan/DCC's efforts to ruin it. Hopefully there's some kinda turn around when he retires next month.

He's hated in the council. Apparently the guy who would have taken over from him is decent, but with Keegan extending his tenure, that lad got pissed off waiting and took retirement.

He's hated in the council. Apparently the guy who would have taken over from him is decent, but with Keegan extending his tenure, that lad got pissed off waiting and took retirement.

Yeah I think he's a Delaney type character, no one likes him./

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back