Michel Henritzi (Fr) Junko (Jp) Anseo bar (1 Viewer)

e+s=b

Experimental guitarist from France with vocalist from Japanese cult noise/free improv group Hijokaidan 非常階段

Sunday 24th May 2009
Anseo upstairs
w/ Female Orphan Asylum & European Sensoria Band
8pm 8 Euro

www.myspace.com/michelhenritzi
http://michelhenritzi.canalblog.com/
http://commarec.wordpress.com/
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

http://www.myspace.com/femaleorphanasylum
www.myspace.com/electronicsensoriaband

Re: Michel Henritzi (Fr) Junko (Jp)

photo

Attachments

• 1-17.jpg
    1-17.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 195

Venue still has to be confirmed. The Joinery can no longer host this event.

Please note change of venue, date and newly added supports

excerpt from a Paris Transatlantic review:

[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica,Arial,Geneva]Michel Henritzi [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
KEITH ROWE SERVES IMPERIALISM
wmo/r
[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
03henritzi.jpg
I love liner notes. I think it's fair to say I learned more about music from reading liner notes than I ever did at university (I hope to goodness my ex-Cambridge professor Alexander Goehr isn't reading this, but if he is it'll probably only confirm what he always suspected anyway). Sure, sometimes they don't amount to much more than a set of potted bios, or a blow-by-blow description of what most semi-conscious listeners can figure out for themselves, but when they're good they can be both informative and fun. Personal favourites include Ralph Gleason's hip wacko notes to the late 60 Miles Davis LPs ("that's right" says Miles Davis), Byron Coley's "take the top off your head" liners to the BYG Actuel boxset a while back, and especially The Journal Of Vain Erudition essays that accompanied releases on Bruce Russell's Corpus Hermeticum imprint, particularly the exchange of letters with Alan Licht that accompanied the latter's The Evan Dando Of Noise? One wonders whether Russell hasn't also been something of a role model for Mattin in this regard too, as several releases, not only by Russell, on the Basque avant provocateur's wmo/r label (and Mattin's Going Fragile with Radu Malfatti on Formed) have come wrapped in some serious wordage. The Licht / Russell correspondence that accompanies the abovementioned album is indeed fascinating, but the music can and does survive perfectly well without it. Evan Dando of Noise? would be a cracking album even if it came in a plain white jewelbox with minimal track info. The same could be said of this latest offering from French guitarist / turntablist Michel Henritzi, but the fact that he's chosen a deliberately provocative title for it inevitably draws one's attention to the words accompanying the disc (1600 words of them, in the original) and away from the music on it, which is unfortunate, as the music is strong and coherent and the text isn't.

Michel Henritzi has long been one France's most important commentators on new music, having signed numerous perceptive articles and interviews in Revue & Corrigée, and one of its most ardent champions, organising several important European tours for major players on the scene, many of them Japanese, and releasing key documents on his excellent A Bruit Secret label (now sadly on ice, it seems). Since his seminal noise outfit Dust Breeders ceased operations (blew itself away might be a more appropriate description) a while back, Henritzi has signed a couple of fine releases himself on the Absurd label with Fabrice Eglin under the name Howlin' Ghost Proletarians. Keith Rowe Serves Imperialism marks his solo debut, and, not surprisingly with a title like that, it's already made a few waves.
Before we get into the polemical stuff, a few words about the music. The album contains four ten-minute tracks on which Henritzi is joined by, in order, Shin'ichi Isohata (guitar – Gibson Johnny Smith 1965, in fact), Bruce Russell (guitar – no make specified), Mattin (guitar – no make needed because he always manages to make it sound pretty terrifying) and Taku Unami (computer). The guests recorded their improvisations separately in various locations between September and November last year, and Henritzi his own four contributions – on turntable, guitar, hammer / electric saw / guitar and jack plug – in Metz in October 2006. Henritzi's material is on the right stereo track throughout, that of his fellow musicians on the left. (Oddly enough, this take-it-as-it-comes superimposition of music recorded at different times in different locations is also the basic working method behind the forthcoming MIMEO project, tentatively entitled "Cy Twombly", the latest brainchild of the arch-imperialist himself, Mr Rowe. But more of him later.) It's a terrific set of pieces, starting with a spiky, colourful guitar duet – not for nothing is the album dedicated to the memory of Derek Bailey and Masayuki Takayanagi – followed by an awesome Russell / Henritzi feedback battle (both musicians really understand feedback, and it shows: budding noiseniks take note), a rough'n'ready tussle with Mattin and a delightfully abstruse assemblage of beeps and crackles with Unami.
[/FONT]

Great night Fergus, well worth the trip up and back to Cork.
My highlights of the night: when Junko and I turned into cartoons and when the Nuge gave me a nice hug. Seeing Laura Sheeran's jaw drop after Junko's lips first parted. Michels effects left my ears feeling like cotton for hours. First time meeting the Carrolls. Lovely lads altogether! Nice to see Agitated Radio Pilot back up in the big city for this gig too...

junkocartoon.jpg

Well done! More gigs like this!! .|..|

Thanks Vicky!!!

Great night Fergus, well worth the trip up and back to Cork.
My highlights of the night: when Junko and I turned into cartoons and when the Nuge gave me a nice hug. Seeing Laura Sheeran's jaw drop after Junko's lips first parted. Michels effects left my ears feeling like cotton for hours. First time meeting the Carrolls. Lovely lads altogether! Nice to see Agitated Radio Pilot back up in the big city for this gig too...

junkocartoon.jpg

Well done! More gigs like this!! .|..|

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back