Michael Gira Irish and U.K. dates (2 Viewers)

Buckrake said:
i heard banhardt fell off the table during his set
confirmed

Buckrake said:
and nearly got in a fight for dissin jimmy hendrix...

witnesses?
i dont know about this one, but the singer formt he apes almost beat the head off that 'wolverine' guy for calling him a jim morrison wannabe!

limerick is great...

Well I was there soundchecking them until 9 when I had to go away, but I was informed of the shenanigans by the guy who did the sound and by some friends who were in the audience. Apparently it was the first time in about 10 years that he supported anyone!! .....hilarious though for the comment about Limerick..... :)

The Limerick story that I've cobbled together, this is from speaking briefly to Devendra and a couple of people who were there, is...

Firstly, yes, Devendra fell off his table. Which he thought was a bit of a hoot.
Apparently Estel or whatever they are called, are a metal-ish band, and the venue is a metal venue. So there were only a handful of people there for Devendra and Michael, and the rest of the audience paid no attention at all. So I assume that Gira got pissed off, he certainly got pissed off at the cretin in Dublin who kept shouting the well known lines out loud, just before Gira was about to (in God Damn The Sun, Failure and New Mind). However, I think Gira was actually asked to leave the stage as they didn't have enough time to fit in all the acts, and as he was after all only a support act, he was the one that was sacrificed. He obviously enough was none too pleased and perhaps mooned the crowd at this point.

Needless to say, they won't be leaving Ireland with fond memories of our beloved stab city, or should it be called gunshot city these days.....

haha estel a "metalish" band.

the high stool is just a bar. some metal guys hang out there, some bikers. a million different types of bands have played there (dalek was packed out two nights in a row and they're black dudes!!).
i'd imagine the fact that nobody in limerick knows about / gives a shit about michael gira and general apathy towards live music there had more to do with a poor crowd. i did find it surprising that gira wasn't on last though...no disrespect to my boys in estel!

andrew

ps - limerick is rad.

ah i liked my time there.
sounds like prison.

i honestly think the amc book too many bands.
stuff put on in dublin is split out between a load of promoters but it all goes through the amc (or dolans occasionly) in limerick...too many bands for a city that small - too few punters. anyway this was about how dealdy michael gira was and not about gigs in limerick.

andrew

TESTAROSSA said:
haha estel a "metalish" band.

the high stool is just a bar. some metal guys hang out there, some bikers. a million different types of bands have played there (dalek was packed out two nights in a row and they're black dudes!!).
i'd imagine the fact that nobody in limerick knows about / gives a shit about michael gira and general apathy towards live music there had more to do with a poor crowd. i did find it surprising that gira wasn't on last though...no disrespect to my boys in estel!

andrew

ps - limerick is rad.

Yeah, well, as I said that's cobbled together from a few people I spoke to. I've never heard of Estel or the High Stool, and I've only been in Limerick a couple of times, so I really don't know what I'm talking about....

Already Dead can`t seem to play there because there is no venue that night.Some local blues are playing(who are alright too i guess).....

You saying the amc have a monopoly on the bands coming in!?:eek:

no, and you know i'm not, i'm saying they're the only ones bothering and they bother too much, which is why john butcher plays to 5 people and acid mothers soul collective plays to 15 (one of whom is heckling).
anyway this really isn't my business or position to be sayin this shit! not that i've never said this to any of them before. someone get me to make posters for gigs. i miss making posters.

andrew

I know what your saying - only messing.
Mickey(from the Poke i think) put on some Oi punk bands last friday night in Quinns - Halloween punk party thingy.Think he`s trying to get some reggea club/dj thing going too(i hope).But it clashed with Estel/Gira gig.But limerick has too small a gig going crowd to have 2 seperate alt. gigs on the same nite, some one of them would have to lose out.Pity.
Dubli is big and has they people i guess.

Anyway Gira mooning the crowd - not the first time it happened.Happened Bluetip here too - good times, bad times - simple as that.

Rimbaud said:
Gira mooning the crowd

So what was his arse like? Pale and interesting? Spotty? Hairy? He's obviously a bit more chilled out about showing his ass in public since he wrote 'Mother my body disgusts me'.
;)

Buckrake said:
So what was his arse like? Pale and interesting? Spotty? Hairy? He's obviously a bit more chilled out about showing his ass in public since he wrote 'Mother my body disgusts me'.
;)
getting nekkid on stage used to be a thing of his .... i remember talk of a swans gig where the whole band were going to play in the altogether but it didn't work out ... or something

chickenham said:
getting nekkid on stage used to be a thing of his .... i remember talk of a swans gig where the whole band were going to play in the altogether but it didn't work out ... or something

I've got a big poster from the Children Of God tour that I got inside the Feel Good Now LP, and Gira appears to be wearing nothing but a small shammy, the likes of which you would use to wipe condensation from your car windscreen on a chilly day, around his particulars.

I believe he did get it all out on several occasions during that time period. He couldn't do it in the early days because he had to wait around so long in between drum beats, he got all cold and shrivelled.

He was certainly no match for Gibby and the Buttholes when it came to flaunting ones tackle....

jackofficer said:
The Limerick story that I've cobbled together, this is from speaking briefly to Devendra and a couple of people who were there, is...

Firstly, yes, Devendra fell off his table. Which he thought was a bit of a hoot.
Apparently Estel or whatever they are called, are a metal-ish band, and the venue is a metal venue. So there were only a handful of people there for Devendra and Michael, and the rest of the audience paid no attention at all. So I assume that Gira got pissed off, he certainly got pissed off at the cretin in Dublin who kept shouting the well known lines out loud, just before Gira was about to (in God Damn The Sun, Failure and New Mind). However, I think Gira was actually asked to leave the stage as they didn't have enough time to fit in all the acts, and as he was after all only a support act, he was the one that was sacrificed. He obviously enough was none too pleased and perhaps mooned the crowd at this point.

Needless to say, they won't be leaving Ireland with fond memories of our beloved stab city, or should it be called gunshot city these days.....
Devandra Benhardt said Estel were a metal band?
Well, I'll have whatever he's having! legend!

Micheal Gira wasn;t asked to leave the stage, he was given 45 minutes to play.
And, no i guess there wasn;t a whole lot of people there to see him, he was only added to the line-up the week of the gig basically as a favour.
It was all arranged with his booking agent/promoter guy, who failed to let micheal know what was going on, so he only found this out when he got to the venue...
And yeah, apparently Estel are the first band he has played before, in 10years. Crazy.

swingkid said:
Devandra Benhardt said Estel were a metal band?
Well, I'll have whatever he's having! legend!

Micheal Gira wasn;t asked to leave the stage, he was given 45 minutes to play.
And, no i guess there wasn;t a whole lot of people there to see him, he was only added to the line-up the week of the gig basically as a favour.
It was all arranged with his booking agent/promoter guy, who failed to let micheal know what was going on, so he only found this out when he got to the venue...
And yeah, apparently Estel are the first band he has played before, in 10years. Crazy.

No, Devendra didn't say they were a metal band, just me getting my wires crossed.... it was more the venue that I heard referred to as metal..... but I know it's not particularly...... I reckon next time I decide to go on about a gig I wasn't at I'll keep my conjectures and wild accusations to myself! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Matana Roberts (Constellation Records) with special guest Sean Clancy
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland
Matana Roberts (Constellation Records) with special guest Sean Clancy
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland
Jim White & Marisa Anderson (Thrill Jockey)
Whelan's Main Room
25 Wexford St, Portobello, Dublin 2, D02 H527, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back