Mercury Prize nominees for 2009 (2 Viewers)

Unicron

Supporter
Solutions
Website
theformersovietreublic.bandcamp.com
Glasvegas “Glasvegas”
Bat For Lashes “Two Suns”
Lisa Hannigan “See Sew”
The Horrors “Primary Colours”
Kasabian “West Ryder Pauper Lunatic Asylum”
Led Bib “Sensible Shoes”
The Invisible “The Invisible”
La Roux “La Roux”
Friendly Fires “Friendly Fires”
Sweet Billy Pilgrim “Twice Born Men”
Speech Debelle “Speech Therapy”
Florence and The Machine “Lungs”

IMHO

Horrors album is deadly
La Roux album has goods songs but sounds like a person singing over their megadrive
i'm told the Florence and Machine album is good
bat for lashes is bat for lashes

don't know about the rest

in other news

2009musicprizelogo450.jpg

'Beat Again' by JLS
'Better Off As Two' by Frankmusik
'I'm Not Alone' by Calvin Harris
'In For The Kill' by La Roux
'Love Etc' by Pet Shop Boys
'Method Of Modern Love' by Saint Etienne
'New In Town' by Little Boots
'Take Me Back' by Tinchy Stryder
'The Promise' by Girls Aloud
'Up' by The Saturdays
'The Boy Does Nothing' by Alesha Dixon
'The Fear' by Lily Allen

oh please, it's all in good fun

Oh please, yourself.
It's a wankfest. Giving awards for art, be it the Oscars or the Turner, is by its very nature, ridiculous.
Despite what the Mercury or the press say, there is no such thing as a 'good album', only what you like or don't like.
Plus, these cunts spend so much time second- and third-guessing themselves as to make the whole thing a parody of its already fucked-up self.
They might as well just get Q or Mojo to do it for one of their 'lists' issues. Same fucking thing like.

Oh please, yourself.
It's a wankfest. Giving awards for art, be it the Oscars or the Turner, is by its very nature, ridiculous.
Despite what the Mercury or the press say, there is no such thing as a 'good album', only what you like or don't like.

'in your opinon' is not a convincing argument ever.

Plus, these cunts spend so much time second- and third-guessing themselves as to make the whole thing a parody of its already fucked-up self. They might as well just get Q or Mojo to do it for one of their 'lists' issues. Same fucking thing like.

some people rely on these things, maybe not you or I in this particular case but if I was to investigate some form of 'the arts' I had little experience in, or say a genre of literature I knew nothing about I would probably check out some award winning pieces/texts to see what the general trend at a particular time is. Whether I agree that they are good or not comes at a later point.

I think it's better NOT to give up on awards for this very reason, I don't want people listening to rubbish music because they checked out the awards and only crap stuff wins these days.

Oh please, yourself.
Plus, these cunts spend so much time second- and third-guessing themselves as to make the whole thing a parody of its already fucked-up self.
They might as well just get Q or Mojo to do it for one of their 'lists' issues. Same fucking thing like.

They need Breakfast at Sulimay's or Nick Thinks.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

'in your opinon' is not a convincing argument ever.

some people rely on these things, maybe not you or I in this particular case but if I was to investigate some form of 'the arts' I had little experience in, or say a genre of literature I knew nothing about I would probably check out some award winning pieces/texts to see what the general trend at a particular time is. Whether I agree that they are good or not comes at a later point.

I think it's better NOT to give up on awards for this very reason, I don't want people listening to rubbish music because they checked out the awards and only crap stuff wins these days.

I take it back.
We should keep the Mercury for people that have recently had their hearing restored after a lifetime of deafness. Just to get them on their feet like.

alright alright, no need to be a prick.

I don't really care about it either and it's a waste of money but a tiny romantic part of me still wants music to have meaning on a mass cultural level.

Fuck, my life is meaningless enough as it is, it would be nice to think that people still cared about what other people thought rather than the dull reality of nobody caring about anything except their own ipods playlist

I often buy books based on end-of-year lists (in particular the New York Times list) and sometimes awards, not so much music. That's because I think I know more about music, in terms of who is making what, when.
And I'm secure enough in my musical taste/knowledge to ignore most things that people are talking about.
I'm sure there are plenty of people for whom the Mercury serves a similar purpose that book lists do for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back