Meeting 22.03.04/Blackfort Art Truck & Thingsradio.com Gig (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter MDR
  • Start date
  • Replies 61
  • Views 9K
  • Watchers 2
Re: Meeting 22.03.04

lmd64 said:
would the Dublin Brewing company be open and amenable to sponsorship? dunno if they're a family-run business, but they're small-ish, and they don't sell bottled tap water to the masses and call it 'Dasani'.
and they have a home-brewed, guaranteed-irish, non-affiliated-with-indonesian-sweatshops kind of feel to them. in other words, they're more rock-and-roll than, say, Miller Light.
Helen rang them earlier, they don't do sponsorship of stuff like this.

Ok, this is being done under the (shared) banner of thingsyou'remissing and the Blackfort organics gallery. Three thingsyouremissing regulars - myself, Tom and Egg - have expressed opposition to the sponsorship. That's not say (and I hope I'm not misrepresenting egg and tom here) that we're trying to stop it or even convince anyone to stop it, just that we're not keen on the idea, that's all.

That said, we've also agreed (at earlier meetings) that if any subgroup of the people involved in thingsyouremissing want to go ahead and do something they should go do it, i.e. not necessarily allow the whole thing to get bogged down in absolute unanimity.

In summary then, I feel I've had my say, and for the record I'm against the use of sponsorship. BUT if on balance, those of you involved in the project feel that, notwithstanding this, it's better to accept the sponsorship to make for a better event, then by all means go ahead.

TYM was founded by different people who now attend weekly meetings... that doesn't mean your opinion in relation to sponsorship for the art truck (note: art truck is not TYM - please tell me if i'm wrong in thinking this...) is any more valid than mine... but you weren't saying that, right? ;)

guys, what sarah and billy are trying to do is mammoth... absolutely mammoth. it's not like getting distribution for a few locally released cds... it goes way beyond anything like that.

That said, we've also agreed (at earlier meetings) that if any subgroup of the people involved in thingsyouremissing want to go ahead and do something they should go do it, i.e. not necessarily allow the whole thing to get bogged down in absolute unanimity.
so you guys don't listen to yourselves or you're just venting dissatisfaction at the agreement you came up with yourselves? seriously, i don't get it...

sarah and billy should make this work whatever way they can in any way that's acceptable to them. what's wrong with what i just said? i imagine sarah and billy trying to do this with the help of sponsorship and i imagine the rest of you trying to do it without... and 5 years down the line S & B have this big amazing truck which people can put gigs and exhibitions on in... and the rest of you are selling quorn hotdogs out the back of a busted up transit van in an effort to pay egg_ back for the money he invested in the van...

"oh my god, hag is a total prick!"

maybe, but i think the small-mindedness of the way some of you are looking at this might only serve to dampen the amazing enthusiasm these two guys have for this project... give it a rest like.

ideally, nothing would require sponsorship - i agree totally with that. obviously the sponsors are going to want something out of it. if that something is ok by B & S, then cool, no? dudes, we live in ireland... by right, the government should give money to enterprises like this... but like i said, we live in ireland... do it whatever way you can as long as it don't make you sad.

Hey all,

my last and final post on the subject, cause I'm bored, peoples opinions
have been duly noted and as far as the Things side of this is concerned, Helen
and Declan will do their best to organise this in some way that satisfies most people.
As far as the ART TRUCK is concerned somebody asked what it
was Billy and myself with the help of H & D were trying to do it is as follows:
We started doing the gallery gigs cause we liked the idea of having
a venue which promoted independent music and art from every sphere for
free or as cheaply as possible, the reason I personally liked the gallery gigs
was that it wasn't specifically aimed at thumped, things, or any sort of group
it was a place were a mixture of people who walked in from the street
ranging from old dears and disgruntled teens got to see something they wouldn't usually.
I like free stuff but that doesn't mean I am necessarly hardcore DIY in my outlook.
With the ART TRUCK, we want to have a mobile, fully equipped venue- come -
art gallery -come information library,
of which we can run workshops, have a gallery exhibtions space and have gigs
and short films , you name it.
The eventual hope and plan is that we can approach various towns arts officers
and offer them a fully equipped artists and all amazing multimedia show.
This is for people like me who come from a mid-country shit-hole were you are fed
on pop fizz disco's and clubs called priviledge were people get stabbed in the butt
while dancing to shit techno.
This if for young teenagers who have an interest in arts and music and
want to get involved but have no access and might not run into the websites
or have the cop on to seriously research how to follow their interests up.
I came to dublin and was frankly amazed at how much independently arranged
stuff was going on and had such and admiration for it all that I really feel
that most of Ireland is ridiculously culturally deprived.
We want to have a fully convertible truck, which will set us back min.
25 grand or more to customise, with this people like things and all other
minor artist collectives have their own moving platform which won't rely on pubs
and other venues which use the musicians and artist as the punter draw.
At the end we want to own this so for me all events we put on have to
be, in my words: EXTRAVAGANZAS.
I believe the only way to show we are dead serious is to approach this
at the level we mean to continue(it's why I'm prepared to get sponsorship and
stuff like that, because in this case the end does justify the means because
this has the potential to bring the irish cultural scene to a different level
by connection Dublin with leitrim with ballymehole.
I love free stuff and so do most people, when I go to a launch I don't
question the morals of the wine company who's nectar I'm downing, if it's free
chances are I don't notice the label.
Anyway at the end of the day I understand if things was set up with a particular
ethos in mind, as far as the gallery goes we like cheap stuff which is
quality and we want lots of people to hear and see and appreciate it the way
we do.
If companies are going to give us stuff which saves us money - that's grand with me.

firstly, yes, tym is ideally meant to be all about independence, this was a broad agreement from all concerned at the outset. what we've agreed at meetings however is that if people are putting the work into organising something then they get the say in how it's done. if other tym folk then don't like how it's being done they can dissociate themselves/their band/label/whatever. if the majority of tym folk don't like what's being done then that's a different matter, but that's not the case here i think.

in any case, this gig is a joint effort between blackfort organics art truck and thingsradio.com. therefore it's not just a tym thing. as you can see from what sarah said above, it's quite clear that the blackfort art truck part of this is the bigger, more ambitious part in the long run. this gig is a meant to be a fundraiser (right?). i think it's ok to get sponsorship for this gig, further it seems to be necessary to get the art truck on the road. i think anti-corporate sentiments should be put aside for this event in order that the art truck, that we all agree is a good thing, get up and running. i agree with what hag says in that for something of this magnitude there should be exceptions and i appreciate egg, tom and ro's ideals but think that in this case it's impractical to do it any other way and i'm fully behind sarah, billy, declan, and helen and hope this thing gets going for john blackfort's sake.

Sarah - I hadn't realised this gig was an Art Truck thing. I think the Art Truck is a good idea and I wish you luck with it. Obviously I still think corporate involvement (or any sort of deal where you seem to be getting something for nothing) is a bad idea, but it's really none of my business and I'm sure you'll figure out what's what for yourself

aaaaaaaa ha ha ha ha, we win, we win!!! :D :D :D

oops! sorry.

egg_, i'm not difficult to communicate with, you're just stubborn ;)

This thing about sponsorship has been totally blown out of proportion.

We'll need to get about 300 people at this to pay for our costs.
People are more likely to go to the night event if they know that there will be some sort of drink there. Getting about five or six keggs of beer is pretty expensive and not really worth it, so we'll ask a couple of companies if they will contribute these in exchange for a mention of them in the advertising of the event.

So far we've asked Krombacher - who are hardly a massive multi-national corporate behemoth.
Likewise we'll ask various techy companies, such as Philips or Apple, if they would be on for providing equipment.

We're looking for sponsorship in kind more than anything else. It's a means to an end and all that.

billygannon said:
People are more likely to go to the night event if they know that there will be some sort of drink there.
Sorry Bill, I don't mean to drag this argument out but just FYI (in case you don't manage to get sponsorship) ...
You can get barmen who have their own mobile licence for events like this - you often see them at weddings in places with no bars. Usually they don't cost anything, they make their money on the booze like a real bar

I heard everyone who goes in has to get I Love Krombacher tatooed on their dicks

including the chicks

just sayin' Billy, is all

and here's me up on the general board like a big goon wondering why nobodys been having fights up there, and sure all along you were all having secret fights down here without me! Swine!

Quick someone tell me which side is winning the fight and I'll call Hag a prick and then snaky will PM me some dodgy and abusive theroys about my family's origins.

Anyhow is this gig going ahead on April 17th or wha? huh?

billygannon said:
Afraid not... tit's looking more like sometime in July.
It should be close to the last weekend in July, there was just
way too much stuff booked up around the date we wanted in April,
which meant it would be nearly impossible to get all the stuff set up and
taken back down again in the time period which we had.

This also means that we have more time to find cool stuff for it :D

sarah said:
It should be close to the last weekend in July, there was just
way too much stuff booked up around the date we wanted in April,
which meant it would be nearly impossible to get all the stuff set up and
taken back down again in the time period which we had.

This also means that we have more time to find cool stuff for it :D

cool

if someone could keep me in touch about it, if yis still ant House of Mexico to play that is, that would be rad

Pantone247 said:
cool

if someone could keep me in touch about it, if yis still ant House of Mexico to play that is, that would be rad
I said, to give us more time to find Cool stuff not Un-cool and a bit gay,-
God.....:rolleyes: you can collect the tickets. :D

But seriously thanks for all the offers and the quick responses by everybody!
As usual we'll try and cram as much in as possible.

Firstly, to Billy and Sarah: put me down for some kind of visual noodling on the day if you want, i'd be glad to help in some way commensurate with my skills (please note, i become surly when asked to clean things). if there's anything in particular you would like send me an email and i'll see what i can do. the more notice the better, some of this stuff takes ages. if you'd like organisation help i have a a small gap in my calendar...may - june.

Second: I hope this is construed as constructive, and...wait, sorry, that argument's over now. i'll leave it so, 'twas a good suggestion though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back