Meeting 22.03.04/Blackfort Art Truck & Thingsradio.com Gig (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter MDR
  • Start date
  • Replies 61
  • Views 9K
  • Watchers 2

MDR

Did you get my email?
Website
www.myspace.com
Yo,

Should we have a meeting soon to update on happenings and plot bringing the official music industry to its knees? Some new people have been on to me asking when the next meeting is on, so it might be a chance to introduce them too.

I hope you are all well.

Ro

Re: Meeting?

Mumblin Deaf Ro said:
Yo,

Should we have a meeting soon to update on happenings and plot bringing the official music industry to its knees? Some new people have been on to me asking when the next meeting is on, so it might be a chance to introduce them too.

I hope you are all well.

Ro
what about a week from tomorrow? i think that's the 22nd.

Can't make it along tonight. Helen should be there though.

A few things:
I've got the stall at home and I can't do it at the next Ballroom... so volunteers for that would be cool-aces. Can't do it at the Boxes gig either (that's on this Thursday).

Should have a Things You're Missing mail-out in the next couple of days. There's plenty happening over the next couple of weeks, so it'll look quite full. Otherwise I'm going to send it out every second Sunday.

The launch of this Things You're Missing online radio has mushroomed more than somewhat. The Digital Hub space is extremely big, so it requires a good deal of organisation to put something together. Ideally it'll be in May, but it could be in July. And it'll be a multi-media event.

I am at home with a chest infection so i won't be there this evening. The freebird compilation is in the shops and selling well.

Also, I think when the 'proper' things compilation is ready we should consider giving it away in fresher packs when the college year starts in Sept, linking to gigs in TCD/UCD/whereever - we'll need to speak to the new ents officers when they are elected. If we can't afford enough copies for fresher packs, we could at least give it to the music societies - a more focussed approach. That's something for the later though, but time does, and will, fly.

who there: me (conor), kieran (lorcanzo), declan (cookiemonster), cormac (egg), liam (lmd64) and helen.

thingsradio launch: can't be done in april as originally planned as it's proving hard to get one-off insurance cover for just one night. hopefully will do it in may or june. cormac thinks he knows a place that might do one-off insurance for conferences and the like so that might be suitable. helen and declan need people to provide a/v (projectors etc.) and backline (amps, drums etc.) equipment for the night. currently it looks like there'll be two stages. so far around 25 acts are pencilled in.

tym compilation: liam has collected all the tracks now and is looking at getting either 100 or 200 cdr's done with nessy at music matters international. once they're done liam will chase the acts up for the money to cover the production costs. the rough plan with this cdr compilation is that it will be available on the stall and used for promotion, not for general sale from shops. ro suggested placing it in student fresher packs in september/october.

tym mailout: billy mailed 'round to say he'll hopefully be sending out a fortnightly email each sunday summing up recent news and some selected gigs.

i think that was it?

Re: Meeting 22.03.04

Em, c'mere
I don't want to cause a fuss or anything, but I was thinking about the drinks company sponsorship (for the gig in the digital hub) that Helen and Declan were talking about last night, and I'm not too comfortable about the idea. I know it might seem like a small deal - we put up a Guinness banner or something behind the stage, and in return get 5 free kegs or something, but really extra people are not going to go to to the gig because of free beer. I know the gig is not my baby, and Stoat may well not even be able to play at it, but shouldn't we be able organise something like this without corporate sponsorship?

If we don't think we're going to be able to pay for the venue without ... ahem ... selling our audience to advertisers, then perhaps we should think of putting on the gig somewhere else?
Sorry, sorry, I know I'm putting my oar in without having been involved in the gig up to now, but ...

sorry i dident make this last night.........2 episodes of cornation street and all that..nah had to get some :confused: pony :confused: off a guy on the dart.... actually had to help me bro with summit. If any of ye need help with something gimme a mail.Mick.

Cormac, I can see your point and ideally I wouldn't want a drinks company sponsoring the event. Certainly not for the daytime section which will be an all-ages event.

We can sell 275 tickets (give or take). At €15 that means if we sell out, that's €4,125 to play around with.

We're going to try the insurance company recommended by AOIFE (Association of Irish Festival Events). So it all hinges on what they quote us.

The Temple Bar Music Centre should be thrown into the pot here as well. I believe that they're not charging for events that feature solely Irish bands.

As for the Digital Hub, it's also launching Blackfort, so we're going ahead with that regardless.

I've got the stall bag at home with the outstanding cash from the last two Ballrooms. I can't do the next one, as I won't be up to the Ballroom until 11 or something.
There's been some decent feedback already for people wanting to be added to the Things You're Missing list. I think I should be able to send out something this evening.

Billy
Niamh organised a conference last year and got insurance (€800 for a 3 or 4 day event) from Insurex Expo-sure, a crowd in the UK.
Their website is http://www.expo-sure.com, and they insure all sorts of events, from conferences to wedding and bar-mitzvahs ... here's some blurb from their "host-sure" page:
"Host-sure insurance provides high quality cover against cancellation through loss of venue or adverse weather, damage to venues or hired equipment (including marquees) and legal liabilities should accidents happen. "
Sounds about right if the price is good

egg_ said:
Billy
Niamh organised a conference last year and got insurance (€800 for a 3 or 4 day event) from Insurex Expo-sure, a crowd in the UK.
Their website is http://www.expo-sure.com, and they insure all sorts of events, from conferences to wedding and bar-mitzvahs ... here's some blurb from their "host-sure" page:
"Host-sure insurance provides high quality cover against cancellation through loss of venue or adverse weather, damage to venues or hired equipment (including marquees) and legal liabilities should accidents happen. "
Sounds about right if the price is good
Sweet as!

Thanks for that

billygannon said:
As for the Digital Hub, it's also launching Blackfort, so we're going ahead with that regardless.

are the blackfort and thingsradio gigs going to be seperate now? is there a date for blackfort?

also, wasnit mentioned that there were issues with sponsorship as regards drink companies and radio promotions? issues as regards the legalities of drinks companies sponsoring radio promotions.
although i'd have reckoned that there'd be more of an issue as regards a drinks company putting out ads on the radio, than merely providing sponsorship.
still, though, if it's to be an all-ages gig, i'd have qualms* about having a big banner behind the stage promoting guinnes or bacardi breezer to any little childers bouncing round in front of the bands.

Qualms: A type of shellfish, found only at the mouths of saltwater estuaries, noted for their delicate flavour and noxious fluid secretions.

conor said:
are the blackfort and thingsradio gigs going to be seperate now? is there a date for blackfort?
Don't know really. Have to have a chat with Declan about that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back