McPeake Family Singers (1 Viewer)

Jim Daniels

Burls Forever
Supporter
Since 2000
Website
twitter.com
Belfast trad/ folk group from the sixties.
I've only heard a couple of songs (John Kelly used to play Wild Mountain Thyme a lot) and they are deadly.

Anybody know if there is anything available on cd, even on a various artists compilation? Can't find anything out there at all.

i dont think there is anything on cd, i remember sinead o'connor complaining about how hard it was to find stuff. i got a couple of things off ebay that are deadly - a single and an LP here

maybe i'll do upload the single too. i got another one from soulseek that dates from 1964 i think, i forget the name but it was pretty bad - it has bass guitar on it.

i dont think there is anything on cd, i remember sinead o'connor complaining about how hard it was to find stuff. i got a couple of things off ebay that are deadly - a single and an LP here

maybe i'll do upload the single too. i got another one from soulseek that dates from 1964 i think, i forget the name but it was pretty bad - it has bass guitar on it.

Cheers Shaney, thats a cool site...

all these pipes must have been loud!

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

this Eileen Aroon is fantastic

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Very Nice. They were the real deal alright. Love the way Eileen Aroon can't be translated - never realised it was so old!

http://www.morerootsofbob.com/Ballads/EileenAroon/eileenaroon.html

Eileen Aroon" - "aroon" means something like "my secret love" or "the secret treasure of my heart" - is a real old song of Irish origin.In fact it is not so much a single song but a family of songs including variants with quite different lyrics and music.
It has been claimed that this song family can be traced back to the the 14th or 15th century but it is simply not clear how old it is and the exact origins are not known. According to one legend it was written by Irish minstrel harper Carol O'Daly but this story is surely a later invention:

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back