Mastodon (1 Viewer)

chickenham

Since 2000
Just picked up 'Remission' and I think it's half great. How does it compare to their other record(s)?

prefer 'leviathan'
took me a while to get into it...the 70s rock vibe is way more to the fore on it
think they're both great records

CRUSHER DESTROYER!
TRAMPLED UNDER HOOF!

the 'emerald' cover on the march of the fire ants ep is great too
the demo/first release ('lifesblood' i think it's called) is pretty skipable

hopefully now they're on a major they can become metallica size big

doubtful

white whale holy grail

ATP in the MOFOHIZZOUS!!!!! Mastadon rule. Pick up the Contaminated DVD with them, High On Fire and the unbelievably on-form Neurosis live. You Knows It!

It took me ages to get into leviathan but jeez if it's not a sneaky grower. If you dig that stuff>>> check out:

Neurosis [anything since 96], Meshuggah [Nothing or Eye or Catch 33], 5ive's continuum research project [Haemophiiliac's Dream], Isis [WHATEVER!], Old Man Gloom [christmas], House Of Low Culture, Red Sparrows, Cult Of Luna [salvation], Converge [you fail me] and Rest(IRL)
Rest could really do with a little less of the twiddly dealy doot doot and more of the GRRRRRR but sure they're only young :) They are immense in the flesh though.

How can you say that? Fair enough, jane doe was phenomenol(sic) when it came out but the production, the quality of the sound[edit] on you fail me [edit], the writing, the dynamics of the riffs, the diversity across the tracks!!!! dear dear... sir I salute you for even thinking that they are class but, please, give it one more listen. it's a killer.

Also - swiss band Nostromo [ecce lexx] is hard as fuck. fast and unbelievably tight. can't remember what label they're on but wow! you will goop your shorts when you hear the wine glass drone + million mile an hour drum intro. oh!

B

remission is deadly but i think Leviathan is 1000 times better!!!
it hasnt got a weak track on it in my opinion and the riff in Iron Tusk is just....killer!
live they are fucking amazing too!

.|..| x 1000000000034

one of the best bands going at moment. every release is phenominal. also have lethargy discogrophy (bill kelliher and brann dailor's old band) also amazing, much more raw, less polished( playing and production wise) to mastodon but savage non the less. only thing i havent got (yet) is their split 10" w/t american heritage(- check them out.|..| . they even played here like 2/3 years ago). saw mastodon destroy high on fire in london few years ago, no easy feat. did they annihilate boring-old-slayer !zed in ambassador?

Nope they were pretty shit in the Ambassador.
Slayer were miles better.
xsteox said:
one of the best bands going at moment. every release is phenominal. also have lethargy discogrophy (bill kelliher and brann dailor's old band) also amazing, much more raw, less polished( playing and production wise) to mastodon but savage non the less. only thing i havent got (yet) is their split 10" w/t american heritage(- check them out.|..| . they even played here like 2/3 years ago). saw mastodon destroy high on fire in london few years ago, no easy feat. did they annihilate boring-old-slayer !zed in ambassador?

brianoak said:
Nope they were pretty shit in the Ambassador.
Slayer were miles better.

kind of expected that, with slayer gettin better lights/sound ect. mastodon are still years better than slayer thou.

end of discussion.

xsteox that American Heritage split is a 7" with Mastodon doing Emerald (which you can get on later Remission releases). I saw Mastodon three times during 2003 and they were fucking amazing each time. Nottingham with High On Fire was especially good and is probably in my top three gigs of all time. I'm tempted to go to Glasgow to catch both bands again in December.

Speaking of all these recent Relapse/Hydrahead/Tortuga bands, I'd highly recommend the new Burst album Origo. Cave In's Perfect Pitch Black is good too and an album called Resurfacing by Tides (like instrumental Isis with a bit of Godspeed/Red Sparowes).

Then again you could just buy all the Entombed albums and play them non stop until you fucking die.

.|..| .|..| .|..| .|..| .|..| .|..| .|..| .|..| .|..| .|..| .|..| .|..| .|..| .|..| .|..| .|..|

I'm goin to attach a sound file hopefully of a couple o tunes of earlier work from the mighty Mastodon, see what ya think.

if this works these are in order, 1 blood and thunder
2 i am ahab
3 seabeast
4 island
5 iron tusk

and these great songs my friend are all on LEVIATHAN

Fuckin' right Gary. I've had Morning Star and Inferno on constant loop in the car tape deck for a month now. I think Morning Star has overtaken To Ride... as my second favorite album by them now (Wolverine Blues obviously at the top). The second last song 'You're About To Die' on MS is absolutely fucking deadly at full volume.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back