Mastering Madness part 1 (1 Viewer)

Can you picture any non-engineers reading it? Hang no, don't musicians have a stake in this whole mastering situation too? Isn't their music why we're all here?
I thought I'd condense it into a more musician-friendly form.
You're welcome to contribute in any positive way.

And I got the book last week. After I posted this.

:D
GrRrrrR said:
Can you picture any non-engineers reading it? Hang no, don't musicians have a stake in this whole mastering situation too? Isn't their music why we're all here?
I thought I'd condense it into a more musician-friendly form.
You're welcome to contribute in any positive way.

And I got the book last week. After I posted this.

avernus said:
the trick is to play everything real quite - then mix it onto a cassette tape, then play that tape through a ghetto blaster - then mic that up to your computer, import it to protools and boost the gain to a desirable level. no clipping. excellent sound quality.

omg lmao :D

Pantone247 said:
There is something pretty fruity about a snare sound that digitally clips,ust for a split sceond. I reckon you hear it in a lot of chart Rn'B now, especially where it's ripping off the angular Neptunes sound.

The new theory on why you have to get your masters loud as fuck is so when the kids have their i-pods on shuffle your track will pop out of the thousands in there.

What has the loudness of a master have to do with the iPod's shuffle function?

echidnacrossing said:
What has the loudness of a master have to do with the iPod's shuffle function?

the over-mastered tune stands out from the other tunes because of how much louder it seems to be. the drawback is a loss of quality. same with radio - tunes that are mastered to bejesus can stand out more in comparison to tunes mastered correctly.

Check this out!

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Got the link from Steve Hoffman's site www.stevehoffman.tv/forums

Steve says

'I want to make sure that all of you watch this short video clip on what digital compression is doing to remastered music.'

can't remember if I said this, but the new killers album has to have out RHCP'd the last RHCP's album... Sams town is actually full on unlistenable (and and awful let down from the good time pop fun of Hot Fuss) and sounds like someone chewing tin foil

can't remember if I said this, but the new killers album has to have out RHCP'd the last RHCP's album... Sams town is actually full on unlistenable (and and awful let down from the good time pop fun of Hot Fuss) and sounds like someone chewing tin foil

that song "when you were young" is a case in point - the intro bit is loosely compressed (and easier to listen to) then when the song starts is sounds like it's trying to closehanger it's way into yr skull.

you can do that nowadays, listen to an album and pick out the ones destined for singledom by the compression...

K

our lp is with john golden at the moment, only found out after it was sent off that he did the drive like jehu records! best thing ever!!!

when we getting it back? have been trying to sell the idea to mounders too.

just got our golden masters back. took a fair while, cos his backlog is huge, but the results are amazing.

i guess i didn't realise how bad it was sounding beforehand because the difference is pretty startling.
wish we'd used them before! plus they've been really friendly and helpful, and way cheaper than getting it done by a mastering house here.

also, it's pretty damned loud, but has none of the horrible flat lines or clipping shown above. it's just luvverly.

www.goldenmastering.com
you know it makes sense!

just got our golden masters back. took a fair while, cos his backlog is huge, but the results are amazing.

i guess i didn't realise how bad it was sounding beforehand because the difference is pretty startling.
wish we'd used them before! plus they've been really friendly and helpful, and way cheaper than getting it done by a mastering house here.

also, it's pretty damned loud, but has none of the horrible flat lines or clipping shown above. it's just luvverly.

www.goldenmastering.com
you know it makes sense!
nice one.
what format did you send it in and how much headroom did you leave them?

you mean how much freedom did we give them?

i followed alan's advice and asked them to make it sound as well as possible, as opposed to as loud as possible.
very little other instructions other than edits and idents

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back