Mantua '07 (2 Viewers)

The guy joyriding the tractor was not good alright. The insurance surveyors were down the morning after apparently, and this will probably increase the cost of the public liability cover for next year's festival.

The other lowlight was the dickheads playing music all morning in the small white tent NEXT TO THE CAMPING AREA, near the bar. They were playing rubbish and you could hear them playing off a discman sometimes - they'd play a track for 30 seconds and then you'd hear a 'beep' as they clicked onto the next track. It was infuriating when you were trying to sleep. By all means I've no problem if people want to stay up forever, but this should have been put at the other end of the site. I really wish security had closed them down.

Other than those two things I think Mantua was great. It was possibly the best festival I've been to in Ireland in terms of the crowd, the accessible size, and the music going on until the small hours of the morning. I saw no rows or hassle whatsoever between people, the only aggro I saw was a couple of dogs getting nasty with each other! I think the Electric Picnic will be a nightmare now in comparison - if you ever got separated from people at Mantua it took about two minutes to find them again, your text messages didnt take four hours to get through, and everything was within five minutes walk. I met loads of new people, something which I didnt find happening at EP, and because Mantua was smaller, there was more chance of bumping into the same new people again (thus greater chance of scoring!). I dont think I've ever been to a festival or club in Ireland where the music officially went on until 7am, apart from illegal raves (and reportedly even the Creation one on Saturday night got shut down at 4:15am), this was a refreshing change from having everything close at 2am and all of a sudden thousands of people trying to scramble to get into the one place still playing music (cf. Body & Soul area at EP).

Mala from the Digital Mystikz was the musical highlight of the festival for me. I really like their music and the set was comprised of a lot of their own tracks. The Skatalites were the best way to get Saturday started properly, just as the sun was beaming down and the intermittent showers stopped. Alan O'Decal was good, first time I'd seen him play in a long time. And Jinx Lennon was ... interesting, Louth Beat Poets are a rare enough breed. It was a shame 65 days of static pulled out, I had heard positive reports about them, but I would have been torn between them and Mala as they clashed on the timetable.

Overall I really enjoyed it. I'd definitely recommend it to anyone. I was sorry to leave at Sunday lunchtime, as the sun was out and people were having pints again at the bar.. but maybe it was better in the long run to pack up and call it a day! Its not a "bou tique" festival by any stretch of the imagination, I'll let someone else describe the toilet situation (yet most girls I talked to were actually happier in the end to piss in the bushes, as it meant not having to go near a stinking portaloo), but there was food available most times without the enormous queues of bigger festivals, and no hassle whatsoever with bringing your cans of beer up to the music stages, something that really pisses me off about Electric Picnic - you pay hundreds of euro for a ticket and they still expect you to pay over the odds for a plastic glass of budweiser. The security and Garda presence was minimal at Mantua - but there was no need for them, there was none of the messing I've seen at other places before.

Well done to the organisers, I hope that the incident with the tractor does not stop it from happening again next year.

GREAT SUCCESS! - Nah enjoyed it imensely
never-ending loud gabba.
That would be the tir na Ghastlies from Cork – stop the lights – 2 nights NO SLEEP!

The other lowlight was the dickheads playing music all morning in the small white tent NEXT TO THE CAMPING AREA, near the bar. They were playing rubbish and you could hear them playing off a discman sometimes - they'd play a track for 30 seconds and then you'd hear a 'beep' as they clicked onto the next track. It was infuriating when you were trying to sleep. By all means I've no problem if people want to stay up forever, but this should have been put at the other end of the site. I really wish security had closed them down.
YUPE!! That would be the tir na Ghastlies from Cork – stop the lights – 2 nights NO SLEEP!
The beep beep on the mini disk over the sound system – ugh!

sultans of ping

I thought their “patter” between tunes was well funny

Wasn’t tres bad after Friday
los langeros
OH YES – SWEEEEEEET – dem Corkies can dance too!

sound people. lots of them.

Here here – grrrrrt crowd in general

My only real “down” was the monger zombie types THAT KEPT ASKING FOR DRINK/CIGGIES/DRUGS/CLOTHES/SEX ETC

but they were also me highlight in a weird way!

highlights:
Decal + Del9 = jahmazing.

that was actually pixelcorps who did visuals for decal. credit where credit is due. del9 did 'live' visuals for mickey morris (chap in red bandana with wrist in cast playing guitar over hectic techno music) and some stuff for dj c (a nice one screen cock up due to projector cables technical difficulties and some drunken fuckwit spilling booze all over the video mixer minutes before was due to go on).

i really enjoyed the festival. was glad the weather improved to allow the ground to dry up a bit. i thought the alphabet stage outshone the mainstage lineup (apart from skatalites who brought the sun out too). the badly cordoned off trenches were a nightmare, bizarre to watch people disappear into them at night but cant imagine it was too much fun falling into a stagnant swamp mix of run off water, urine and sticks ,stones.

the shuttle bus system needs to be done away with tho. having to cart gear up to campsite from the local town and pay a fiver for the privelige was a bit annoying.

MICKEY BEAUTRON WAS HYSTERICAL IF I DO SAY SO MYSELF.

THE SULTANS OF PING WERE SHIT. REALLY REALLY SHIT. INFACT, MOST OF THE MUSIC I HEARD WAS DESPERATE. TOTAL SCAM ASWELL. 5 EUROKES FOR A CAN!!??

WHY WERE THE COPS SHOVIN' SOME CHICK'S TENT INTO THEIR CAR ON SUNDAY MORNING?

THE DUDE FIGHTING WITH THE FENCE WAS GREAT.
THE GIANT DOG FIGHT WAS .... A NEW ONE.
PEOPLE DROPPIN' LOGS EVERYWHERE..

SO MANY WAYS THEY COULD MAKE THIS THING MILDLY BETTER BUT I AIN'T GONNA START.

ALLAHQUAAANNNNDO!!!

Maybe next year someone could crash a tractor into the Tir na Gasta tent instead and do us all a favour.

Considering they never hassled anyone for bringing cans in, I think its fair enough the drinks were a fiver - operating a bar costs money and people have to get paid for manning it.

Like any festival with loads of acts there were some good and some bad. For 65 quid I dont think I was expecting huge international platinum selling names.

I still had a great time, I'm never going to a big festival (more than 3-4000 people) ever again, you never end up meeting any new people at them.

I'd tend to agree with Brian there in general

Another Tir Na G story for yeese

About a year ago I was at a small party off the South Circular (where almost every party occurs that!)

One of the T N G heads was playing and 3 or 4 others dancing - all off their heads and all fairly well on. I remarked to someone that the mixing was very nice but that it was incredibly samey drum and bass almost like listening one rekord for an hour.

My friend went over and watched the DJ for a bit - he came back and quitely pointed out to me that I was 100% right.
All the DJ was using was 2 copies of the same 12" over and over!
UNLIKE father Ted - NO ONE had actually noticed there was just one rekord - sacry!

kp

The BEEPBEEPBEEP from the TNAG(!) tent was by far the most annoying thing ever. I was actually down at that tent all mad awake an shit on the first night, and it was even infuriating then, but doubly so the next night when I actually wanted to sleep.

The reggae tent was good, but it was far too loud once you were in there - so many discarded conversations there, even shouting at full pelt into someones ear wasnt good enough for them to hear you.

Total bummer about the cinema tent, amazing that no-one was killed! And not so long after that someone stole the key from the alphabet set stage generator (allegedly). 2 of my mates were about to go on (it was 4am) and they had been good all day and were pretty much stone cold sober. Suckers!

I thought their “patter” between tunes was well funny

Seriously! I was crackin up. 'It's our bassist's birthday today, but I can't remember his name. So - Happy Birthday to.... Bassist." :D

All in all a good festival with a few minor logistical problems that didnt manage to ruin the buzz of the festival.

I'd tend to agree with Brian there in general

Another Tir Na G story for yeese

About a year ago I was at a small party off the South Circular (where almost every party occurs that!)

One of the T N G heads was playing and 3 or 4 others dancing - all off their heads and all fairly well on. I remarked to someone that the mixing was very nice but that it was incredibly samey drum and bass almost like listening one rekord for an hour.

My friend went over and watched the DJ for a bit - he came back and quitely pointed out to me that I was 100% right.
All the DJ was using was 2 copies of the same 12" over and over!
UNLIKE father Ted - NO ONE had actually noticed there was just one rekord - sacry!

kp
i spotted OVH walking around in his amazing pants.
the sound was great all round (especially the Skatellites snare!!) except for the fact that i was trying to sleep to both the booming resonance of the bass coming from both the Alphabet stage and the Impact DnB stage. at different tempos. those tents could have done with a bit of acoustic shielding. impossible to sleep, despite my earplugs. was a bit much at some points. like bodytonic at EP. only gotten into DnB last 6 months or so and only one DnB DJ impressed me (DJ chill), the rest were all samey samey nothing new.
i think T na G lads are just chancers. LESS MELODIC + HARDER, NOISIER SHITE does NOT make it better!!!! ive only ever heard them play stuff that's unlistenable for more than 10 minutes. maybe they do play better stuff. just never heard it.

Wavioli Cork Tony was there apparantly - anyone got any good storys for the cork tony thread!?

He's OFF THE DRINK - he wandered around perfectly happy and content with a bottle of water - not much craic for the rest of us though.

Sultans of Ping "If I had to live my life over again I would definitely do it in Ross Cum on" !

kp

Yup, twas a proper fantastic weekend alright. Wasn't optimistic about the weather as it rained non stop during the drive down. Then it stopped just as we began to set up the tents! nice one! And it remained pretty damn decent after that.

I'd certainly agree about the uber-loudness of the reggae tent, though it was great to hear some top notch mc's there. I think most people that were there would agree that Digital Mystiks were fookin flawless! Perfect mixing, (even more impressive considering he's deaf in 1 ear!). Dragged myself away to go catch the end of Ten past seven, and then Super Extra Bonus Party who were fantastico. Twas the first time i saw 'em with the MC, and they had me smiling and dancing like a loon. (i'm new to this dancing in wellies malarky.....graceful i was not). Caught some excellent ragga-jungle djs in the d'n'b tent (which was the only thing i really enjoyed there all weekend, the rest of what i caught was too samey for my liking).

Probably enjoyed the Sultans of Ping's between song banter more than the tunes themselves. He had me cracking up at some points!...

"when Oliver Cromwell said 'to hell or to Connacht' he actually meant to say 'to hell....eh....i mean Connacht'"

"see all these people here, they spend their whole lives wanting to touch my boots.....but nobody touches the fuckin boots, ok?"

Heard someone who i think was Micky Beautron (possibly) play a quality set in the alphabet set tent, excellent insane stuff. And Decal later on too, verrrrry different from what i'd heard from them before, most enjoyable.

Ah but Dj C blew me away! Bass'ed the shit outta me! Danced like a bigger loon this time (by this stage the mud was getting harder to dance in). Stayed relatively sober cos i was meant to be playing soon after, but due to generator problemo's it couldnt happen, so then i made up for lost intoxication time with much enthusiasm......and it all gets hazey after that.

Overall, the total abundance of super-sound heads won me over bigtime. very little aggro or nastyness. Quality music, food, q's werent too bad, grand weather, deadly layout of the site. Apart from the obvious tractor-related, beeping minidisc-related, 65daysofstatic-related headwrecks, then it all went brilliantly for me. Though i was lucky enough to not have to do the whole shuttle bus thing. I heard that was a bit messy. But fair play to all the organisers, twas a quality weekend. Left on sunday afternoon. Anyone stay on for another nite? Anything decent goin on lastnite or anything?

Roll on Mantua '08.

yea ootini, Maga Bo was quality!

major shame bout the power cut, he still had a few tunes left to play. Must check out his stuff.

i missed frog pocket, how did that go? (im assuming you were there for that)

spot on about the DnB tent there Trevor.

Thou shalt not make repetitive generic music.

did anyone hear of a tractor being driven into the performance tent?
someone told me it happened, we were gone already so couldn't check

it defintitely falls in the "could happen at mantua" category

did anyone hear of a tractor being driven into the performance tent?
someone told me it happened, we were gone already so couldn't check

it defintitely falls in the "could happen at mantua" category

READ THE THREAD:rolleyes:

65daysofstatic pulled. bastards.

lowlights:
fuckers who drove a tractor into the Cinema tent and put two people in hospital.

That's pretty shocking.

i was asleep in the marquee that got dozed. coulda been way more serious.

some cunts driving a tractor.

dunno. apparently some one hotwired it. don't think they found the person/s who did it...

The guy joyriding the tractor was not good alright.......
Well done to the organisers, I hope that the incident with the tractor does not stop it from happening again next year.

Maybe next year someone could crash a tractor into the Tir na Gasta tent instead and do us all a favour.

Cork Tony was there apparantly - anyone got any good storys for the cork tony thread!?

;)

Where's the Cork Tony thread?

He was very nice this weekend. I threw him out of my house once but he doesn't remember me. You know when you meet the same heads at all the festivals? I seem to meet Beckett the Tir Na Gaisce dog all over the place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back