Man with stool on head query (1 Viewer)

the departed

Re: picture a week (idea)

FNS200606002_800.jpg

The Palace, around 2AM, last Friday/Saturday
hey ICU what film speed did you use for this?
i wana shoot a load of really low light shots on slide film.
was gonna go with 200T as im not sure id be able to get anything out of 64T..
there are higher ratings but theyre hard to get in town.

g-stereo: dude with stool on his head was shot with Fuji Natura S, which is 1600 ISO. You can't get it here though, you gotta order from Japan, but it's not particularly expensive.
That picture on the left (and on the right) is the National Rehabilitation Hospital on Rochestown Ave (up the road from IADT) and that's shot with Pro800Z (800 ISO) which you can get in Conns for about €4.50 a roll. You can also push it one stop in development without too much trouble, I believe.

Neither of those is slide film, though. I believe it's a bitch to shoot in low light, and you have to be extra-careful not to blow the highlights, not to mention metering very carefully since you only have about 5 stops to work with, as opposed to 8 or so with negative.

Neither of those is slide film, though. I believe it's a bitch to shoot in low light, and you have to be extra-careful not to blow the highlights, not to mention metering very carefully since you only have about 5 stops to work with, as opposed to 8 or so with negative.
bollix

thanks dude.

ill check out those films for my regular stuff. have to shoot slide film for a college thing. im not really sure why if slide film has less latitude.
gonna start shooting film again. most of my pics on here are just digital snapshots.

You should be able to get iso 3200 (more than likely Ilford) in that camera shop at the top of grafton street. I recall buying some years ago although i could be wrong and have gotten it abroad where you can go to any crappy photoshop and get everything. (I was actually told it didn't exist by one photoshop in dublin, duh)

You should be able to get iso 3200 (more than likely Ilford) in that camera shop at the top of grafton street. I recall buying some years ago although i could be wrong and have gotten it abroad where you can go to any crappy photoshop and get everything. (I was actually told it didn't exist by one photoshop in dublin, duh)

ilford 3200 can be got from gunnes and gunnes alone. God bless that place, when they shut up shop Im going to have to go digital

anyone got any idea how much light would be needed for exposing 64T slide film so? like id be hoping to take some shots similar to gregory crewsdon or like ICUH8ns stuff. its either that or im gona have to get 400daylight stock.
how would 400d look in terms of light balance in such "street lit" situations.
once again any help much appreciated.
cant believe the fuckers didnt just let us use regular film and scan and digitally project.

anyone got any idea how much light would be needed for exposing 64T slide film so? like id be hoping to take some shots similar to gregory crewsdon or like ICUH8ns stuff. its either that or im gona have to get 400daylight stock.
how would 400d look in terms of light balance in such "street lit" situations.
once again any help much appreciated.
cant believe the fuckers didnt just let us use regular film and scan and digitally project.

Really rough estimate alert:
Using ISO 800 film, shooting at f/2, you're usually talking about 1/15 second in a dimly lit pub, or similar surroundings (stool on head man was about that)
if you're shooting ISO 64 (three and a half stops slower) you're talking about somewhere between 1/2 second and one second exposure, so it would have to be a tripod.
Some considerations:
1. Shooting handheld ISO 800 with a rangefinder is a complete pain in the ass at that speed, and it's basically impossible with an SLR because of mirror slap, and mirror lock-up is a bit pointless. It takes a lot of practice to get this right, and even then results are patchy; the shot I posted is the clearest of 6, and best of 10 or even 15 would not be unusual depending on the circumstance. If you're shooting a static subject with a tripod and cable release, you won't have any of these problems, as you can keep the shutter open as long as it takes. Is this an option?
2. Slide film does not have any exposure latitude to speak of; that means your highlights will be blown out if you over-expose, and you will have no shadow detail if you under-expose it. This means you have to meter your scene carefully. Slide film only has about five stops of dynamic range, so you need to make an "artistic" decision about what you want to see in the projection; the range between your lightest and darkest areas of detail will be much narrower than what you can see with your eyes.
3. Are you familiar with how the zone system works? "dark, with full texture visible" (which is about the darkest value you'd want for a human face) is zone III, which means you could only get detail from "near black" up to "middle gray" (bear in mind this is in B&W terms, but you get the idea) which means any areas lighter than your actual meter reading (which measures zone V) will be blown out.

Are you gonna have an opportunity to play around with this beforehand? It usually takes a while to get used to a film, I certainly wouldn't want to shoot anything important based on theory alone.

hey dude this is great help.
ill tell you exactly what the deal is...
we were given a summer brief which asks for us to make "observations of naturally occuring light". i.e lightsources that are already existing.
they ask for us to present twenty 35 mm colour slides.

this is supposed to be a chance for us to show our cinematography skills.

BUT this is bollix purely for the reason that slide film doesnt let you do that. and as we've never worked with slide film before its pointless.
if this project was just a case of taking shots with normal film itd be a far far far greater oppurtunity to display our skills.

so anyways just today i got a roll of 400 daylight stock.
im just not gonna shoot too many lowlight situations and just get this shit done and out of the way. its just pissed me off to point where i couldnt be arsed any more.

oh yeah thats the ansel adams scale youre talking about? yeah i use that for cinematography a lot. im gona get rid of my digital snapper and go back to film. gotta get back in the habit.

thanks a zillion for the help.

yo i shot 400d so in the end. just got the slides back. shot in mostly very low light situations.
looks delicious so far.
ill post em up as soon as i get a scanner that does slides.
thanks again for the help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back