Major Complaints Thread (3 Viewers)

I used to dread going in for the cleaning
Borderline torture

I'm on a 6 months schedule with them now and it's breezy
I got this done once since the pandemic.
I got numbing injections (in upper and lower gums) for the first time ever.
for whatever reason the cleaning was very uncomfortable and sore and I have no intention of getting it done again.
my teeth are naturally very yellow anyway and cleaning makes very little difference to me.

if somehow I am ever talked into doing this again and it's that sore, I will just insist they stop, give 'em their 50 Euro and get out of there.

After a check up I needed four things done in February 2011. the dentist only does one procedure at a time so instead of getting the lot done in little over an hour, I had to come four in times. the last time being in May.
each one of those appointments lasted less than 20 minutes but took 2 hours out my time.
it's a bizarre way to inconvenience patients.
thankfully I had no major problems since then.

a lot of cosmetic dentistry is expensive charlatan nonsense.

Just to be clear, lads
The cleaning isn't cosmetic so we'll all be on the cover of magazines and forming boy bands together with our dazzling smiles.

It's getting all the accumulated gunk off your teeth and spotting minor problems before they become big problems.
And there's endless studies correlating good oral healthcare with good health in general

Men are a bunch of sissies when it comes to taking care of their health - don't let cleaning slide, get on a regular schedule.

The right thing to do is usually the hard thing. And we can do hard things.
But it absolutely gets easier and you'll be better for it.

Modern dentistry is a goddamn miracle. Don't sleep on it because it's a hassle.

Hard disagree on the "usually". It took me until my 40s to realise I didn't have to make things difficult for myself all the fucking time
i think that's largely to do with realising that the old reliable of 'sure it'll go away on its own' starts to lose its reliability as you get older.
i've been to the doc twice in two weeks. this is the first time i've been to the doc twice in one year, since 2010 i reckon.

Our brains crave comfort
Going to the dentist is harder than just ignoring it
Doing the dishes is harder than watching another episode on Netflix
Getting your workout in is tougher than goofing around online

We all face many choices like this every day, the more hard things you pick, the better your life will actually be.

Or that's my experience.

Lads crying about getting their teeth cleaned need to sit down and listen to me talk teeth and lack thereof over a pint sometime. Dentists are fucking class, anyone who's seen me smile over the last 9 years or previous 4 can attest to that.

DMP is 100% correct about teeth cleaning. Cosmetic stuff is whitening which no real dentist is gonna tell ya ya need done.

All the extras on top of brushing is such a pain in the hole though. I'm supposed to read, eat right, exercise, stretch, exfoliate, moisturise, floss, and remember to charge the electric toothbrush. And be sound to people in general.

All the extras on top of brushing is such a pain in the hole though. I'm supposed to read, eat right, exercise, stretch, exfoliate, moisturise, floss, and remember to charge the electric toothbrush. And be sound to people in general.
I feel you, man
But our bodies and minds are the only things we will have with us forever

Maintenance of mind, body and soul will make that forever a little better

Exfoliate and moisturise? What does that actually do?

edit: I only started shaving every day at age 50, so I'm a bit behind the curve

Exfoliate and moisturise? What does that actually do?

edit: I only started shaving every day at age 50, so I'm a bit behind the curve
Exfoliate = washing your face with stuff. Im told, by the skin boffins, that this clears pores and stops you being greasy and full of blackheads.

Moisturise? Hopefully make you look like a movie star. Or at least get rid of the dry skin patches.

Do you feel the benefit?
not yet. I still feel like I've been in a fight.

I've had a clean loads of times and it's always been a case of "we'll get you back for a deep clean" which I've avoided until now.

They hygienist was like "this is quite bad, when was the last time you had them cleaned?"
"I've had them cleaned plenty but I've never been through this before, so, never I suppose?

Before I started going regularly, I'd go in and they're so nice, I'd have to say "this is pretty bad, right?"
And the hygienist said "I've seen worse, I do voluntary work with the homeless and they are in really poor shape"

SO I was like one above homeless til I got on track

Just to be clear, lads
The cleaning isn't cosmetic so we'll all be on the cover of magazines and forming boy bands together with our dazzling smiles.

It's getting all the accumulated gunk off your teeth and spotting minor problems before they become big problems.
And there's endless studies correlating good oral healthcare with good health in general

Men are a bunch of sissies when it comes to taking care of their health - don't let cleaning slide, get on a regular schedule.

The right thing to do is usually the hard thing. And we can do hard things.
But it absolutely gets easier and you'll be better for it.

Modern dentistry is a goddamn miracle. Don't sleep on it because it's a hassle.
Last time 'cleaning' hurt much more than getting teeth pulled out.
My teeth are yellow regardless and I'll take them being a bit more yellow.
I don't use mouthwash either - something that purports to kill germs isn't going in my mouth.

Brushing teeth is good for basic oral cleaning and avoiding bad breath but is limited at doing anything else.

Prior to the last time I got my teeth cleaned it was always done without anesthetic and I could take it.
When it was done differently last time it was extremely unpleasant.

In 2004 I was asked for 800 Euro to have a root canal done. I immediately asked for the tooth to be pulled out and the extraction did not hurt whatsoever.

800 euro was my disposable income for 4 1/2 months at the time.

In the late 2000s my left pre molar started to become sensitive. I told the dentist a couple of weeks later and she found nothing wrong.
I had to chew with one side of my mouth for the next 2-3 years until the dentist told me the tooth needed a root canal - despite the previous few years of checkups.
I was asked for 700 Euro that time and it was also painlessly pulled in 2011.

No major problems since. If root canal had only cost 200 Euro I would still not have given them the money either time.
I often give 700-800 to charity annually but I would be extremely reluctant to give it to a dentist.
I am amazed they had the nerve to ask me for this kind of money.

My Gran (1921 - 2014) had the same dentures since the 1940s. At 93 she lived longer than most of us will.
Her family all had terrible teeth and didn't pretend otherwise.

I'd much rather lose 7 lbs. than have 32 teeth. Get real - teeth aren't that important.
Stigmatise the suckers who waste 3000 on braces.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back