Magnetic Fields (1 Viewer)

Never saw them live but I remember he was on Later with Jools Holland a few years ago, and he played a really slow, sad version of "I Don't Want to Get Over You". Just himself at the piano, with cigarette smoke curling up above his shoulder. Real piano bar stuff. The best bit was when he took a drag of the cigarette before finishing the last line of the song. It was fantastic.

Two fancy concert hall gigs (which will sell out megafast???), two other gigs a week beforehand listed on the Shepherds Bush Empire page with no extra information, it's all confusing me...

Why do all good bands seem to go to Malaga these days. Surely it's full of middle-aged Dubs and Germans in speedos. Those are my memories of it anyway.

Why do all good bands seem to go to Malaga these days. Surely it's full of middle-aged Dubs and Germans in speedos. Those are my memories of it anyway.

I spent two weeks there one August and found it surprisingly un-touristy. All the tourists go straight from the airport to the resorts, apparently. I enjoyed my stay there - the city is a bit run down, but the people are very friendly (even though I couldn't communicate much with >90% of the people I met...)

I heard MF in a restaurant without knowing who it was; I thought it was so awful I had to go up and find out who it was (the only other time this happened was with Sigur Ros.. in the same restaurant)
Then I heard 100,000 fireflies and thought it was amazing. What's the story with songs where S Meritt doesn't sing? Are there lots of them somewhere?

The Magnetic Fields will play Vicar Street on July 8th. Tickets go on-sale Apr 18th, priced €30.00 plus booking fee. It will be a full seated show.

Well in order to answer this question I need to ask you a question...

First two albums (availble on a single CD) The Wayward Bus and Distant Plastic Trees have Susan Anway on vocals (she sang on 100000 Fireflies). Most of the rest is Stephin Merritt, up to 69 Love Songs which has a few other vocalists thrown in. Distortion, the new one, has vocals shared with Shirley Simms (who's also on a few 69 Lovesongs)

First two albums (availble on a single CD) The Wayward Bus and Distant Plastic Trees have Susan Anway on vocals (she sang on 100000 Fireflies). Most of the rest is Stephin Merritt, up to 69 Love Songs which has a few other vocalists thrown in. Distortion, the new one, has vocals shared with Shirley Simms (who's also on a few 69 Lovesongs)

Many thanks boss!

Hey chicken&ham, there's also a lot of Gothic Archies stuff and Future Bible Heroes, which is worth checking out, SM's other "bands". Claudia Gonson sings a lot of the FBH stuff, and all the music is written by the other guy in the band who's not Stephin. They're actually not bad, but I prefer when SM is doing all the writing.

Gig is on Tuesday. Can't wait.

Here's Stephin Merritt on Fox
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9Ob9TJueBQ&feature=related"]YouTube - Stephin Merritt on Good Day Atlanta[/ame]

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back