lovely sweet treats. healthy(ish) suggestions (2 Viewers)

sarah

Website
www.flickr.com
trying to wean myself off the massive amounts of sweet and chocolate I consume, more for my poor teeth than anything else.

so lots of healthy after-dinner-wit-your-tea suggestions welcomed.

got a big load of frozen raspberries and a tub of natural yoghurt, heated the raspberries to mush in the microwave mixed with yoghurt added honey and cinnamon... so far so good.

I'm also a big fan of stewed apple.... alas stewed apple is a fan of ice-cream.

Have been stashing up on lots of nuts and stuff to randomly sprinkle on these concoctions. Anyone done anything sweet with polenta? seems like it might lend itself to something like that....

Bash some green grapes in the freezer in the morning. lovely and sweet and refeshing. skinning them is a good move if you've no social life to distract you

Greek yogurt with toasted pine nuts and a drizzle of honey (sometimes I add a banana if I'm really hungry).

Sprinkle some brown sugar over peaches or plums and then grill until caramelised. Serve with a dollop of low fat creme fraiche and maybe some toasted nuts like almonds or pine nuts.

Meringues are really low fat and if you add a low fat fruit yogurt to a meringue it tastes gorgeous. Also try breaking up a meringue, mixing with low fat choc mousse (Tesco's do one) and then cover with raspberries or something equally yummy.

i wanted to buy cashew nuts earlier but they were 2.65 and i only had a euro so I got hula hoops instead :(
my healthy sweet thing is a milky way, sure they're only small.

mentioned this in another thread, not sure how healthy with all the cream and sugar and stuff, but for xmas dinner dessert my ma juiced a load of pomegranates and thew the juice in a bowl with loads of whipped cream and crumbled up meringues. lovely light fruity dessert after serious xmas overeating.

Raw foodism is a total thing... people are mad into it! It's not bonkers though, the underlying principle- that processed foods are lower in nutritional contentand raw foods are better for you (mostly) - that makes nutritional sense I believe.

I'm having a hard time not eating sugar too, but I'm starting to think it makes my belly swell (see me post eleven Frys chocolate creams). I'd also welcome some of these awesome dessert ideas (preferably non-dairy ones pleeze)

Pistachio ice-cream is amazing. They aren't on the list of worlds healthiest foods, but apparently they're a good source of protein, vitamin Ezergood and supposedly as high in anti-oxidants as green tea, and some mineradles as well. Sketch with the salted ones I guess, if you already have a lot of salt in your diet.

i wanted to buy cashew nuts earlier but they were 2.65 and i only had a euro so I got hula hoops instead :(
my healthy sweet thing is a milky way, sure they're only small.

mentioned this in another thread, not sure how healthy with all the cream and sugar and stuff, but for xmas dinner dessert my ma juiced a load of pomegranates and thew the juice in a bowl with loads of whipped cream and crumbled up meringues. lovely light fruity dessert after serious xmas overeating.

Those small bags are a rip off - €15 or so euro in you local oriental shop will get you a bag of them about the size of a bag of flour.

Then you just toast them off in a pan as you need them.

Those small bags are a rip off - €15 or so euro in you local oriental shop will get you a bag of them about the size of a bag of flour.

Then you just toast them off in a pan as you need them.

hhhm I too love these nuts, but tend not to buy from oriental market cause they often seem quite stale.
nuts have a lot of oil in them so can go sour or a bit off (yeuch) which market do you get yours in?

I just got a lovely jumbo bag of little red apples, had forgotton how nice an apple can be when it's not: floury, watery, or just plain flavourles...hard to find these days.

oh oh, throw a banana in a little tinfoil boat squeeze plentiful lemon juice over, sprinkle with some brown sugar or honey. squeeze the tinfoil into a little houseboat completely enclosing said banana,

bake til soft.

something amazing has happened.

the banana juice, lemon sugar have combined into a new wonderful saucey flavoursome lovelyness, eat with creme fraiche of your nearest vegan equivalent.

anyone ever poached a pear? is it worth it?

I've had poached apples and I think pears too, pretty damn good with custard. Although custard is hardly healthy.

hhhm I too love these nuts, but tend not to buy from oriental market cause they often seem quite stale.
nuts have a lot of oil in them so can go sour or a bit off (yeuch) which market do you get yours in?

The one on the dock road in Limerick is on my way home and they open late every evening so it's great.

I've never found them stale.

They don't seem to be toasted so they aren't as nice untill you get them home and toast them

I put about a cupfull into a heavy pan with the tinyiest half tablespooon of oil and then sprinke with salt, sugar, paprika and chilli powder. Just keep tossing them untill they toast. I've tried doing the same thing in the oven but I invariably fuck it up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back