Looking for Riot Grrl/female punk/hardcore/garage rock type bands (2 Viewers)

Green Goblin

I'm setting up a music night with Drop D and Cork Feminista showcasing the severely under-represented female side of the music scene in Ireland.

I am having trouble finding any girl punk bands at all, there are only one or two and are currently on hiatus.

If you know of any girl punk bands interested in playing a Cork gig, let me know.

It will be mixed genre since I doubt I'm going to get more than one or two, but the punk acts will probably be the highlight.

Depends on the band really. If it's a band knowing for having a really kick ass female guitarist for example, that would definitely be showcasing girl musicians. Solo artists welcome too. I'm open to collaborating with artists who aren't in a band too as I do electronic stuff and play guitar.

Fag Enablerz, September Girls, Dott, Twisted Mass, Found On The Floor all have various degrees or female involvement.

Fag Enablerz, September Girls, Dott, Twisted Mass, Found On The Floor all have various degrees or female involvement.

also sodb

and new bands coming soon okus and Burnchurch.

(
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
)

also sodb

(
)

I left sodb out as they're not a Riot Grrl/female punk/hardcore/garage rock type band. I'd have a bunch more if we're talking metal and other stuff.

also sodb

(
)

I dunno if Irene would want to play a gig highlighting the fact that she's a girl who plays music... probably be more interested in something that highlights her music. She usually gets pissed off by stuff like this.

Good luck with it anyways

I am a girl. Me and my band Bimbo Baggins will play at this gig and are willing to suck whoevers dick it takes to get the slot. GIRL POWER! Contact me

I dunno if Irene would want to play a gig highlighting the fact that she's a girl who plays music... probably be more interested in something that highlights her music. She usually gets pissed off by stuff like this.

Good luck with it anyways

No offense to her, I think that sort of attitude is missing the point. In terms of bigger name artists I like, I remember for years Bjork used to have that sort of attitude but turned around in recent years. A lot of people in the 90s got this feel things were more progressive, pushing forward but now we're well into the 2000s and gendered segregation is as bad as ever. I think the backlash against feminism was largely engineered by conservative types to try and mask that fact.

The fact is that even this thread shows there's a serious lack of women in music, especially rock, alternative and related genres. Just keeping to yourself doesn't really solve this problem, and while it may be great for you personally, unless existing artists make some noise that you can be a girl and rock out, it's unlikely that any more artists will come out of the woodwork. I think every artist, male and female, should be interested in making musicianship more accessible to more people.

There shouldn't be any need for a night like this as such, but sadly there is.

No offense to her, I think that sort of attitude is missing the point. In terms of bigger name artists I like, I remember for years Bjork used to have that sort of attitude but turned around in recent years. A lot of people in the 90s got this feel things were more progressive, pushing forward but now we're well into the 2000s and gendered segregation is as bad as ever. I think the backlash against feminism was largely engineered by conservative types to try and mask that fact.

The fact is that even this thread shows there's a serious lack of women in music, especially rock, alternative and related genres. Just keeping to yourself doesn't really solve this problem, and while it may be great for you personally, unless existing artists make some noise that you can be a girl and rock out, it's unlikely that any more artists will come out of the woodwork. I think every artist, male and female, should be interested in making musicianship more accessible to more people.

There shouldn't be any need for a night like this as such, but sadly there is.

can she not just want to be judged on her bass skill rather than her gender?is that not the situation you would love to be the norm? "unless existing artists make some noise that you can be a girl and rock out" surely she can do this at every gig not just one advertised as such and simply by rocking out....just out of interest have you been at any punk gigs of late?
i have to say the gender balance at the moment are the best ive seen in around 20 years of going to punk gigs.

i wouldn't take the lack of response on here as a marker for anything to be honest.there is alot of women in the punk scene doing lots of stuff "girl germs" for example.

ps. ive just seen that irene liked "girls rock camp" on fb so maybe we should all stop guessing her thoughts.

can she not just want to be judged on her bass skill rather than her gender?is that not the situation you would love to be the norm?

Yes, but it's not. The most frustrating thing is when people act like pretending like everything is okay, we don't have a problem is the only way forward and if anyone tries to intervene they're the real "sexists" or some shite. If you're seriously going to push that there's not much I can do as I think it's a pretty rotten and dishonest position to take.

"unless existing artists make some noise that you can be a girl and rock out" surely she can do this at every gig not just one advertised as such and simply by rocking out....just out of interest have you been at any punk gigs of late?
i have to say the gender balance at the moment are the best ive seen in around 20 years of going to punk gigs.

Gender balance of attendance, or people in bands? The fact that people aren't even able to come up with names here suggests otherwise.

There is a problem here. This is the typical sort of shite people always get when they actually try to deal with it, as they view any intervention as putting up these barriers which already clearly exist. I see it a lot especially with LGBT issues and the like.

I'd ask you what you propose, but apparently you're pretty happy with almost no female bands and that it's at least better than it was 20 years ago(which I'm not sure it was).

I guess it can be hard to give lists of bands with girls in them when you just look at musicians as musicians be they male or female. Personally I don't think the barriers you're talking about exist and I should know better than to argue with you but perhaps you could find some people who won't play in bands because they feel that as women they're not allowed or supposed to and we could take it from there?

I guess it can be hard to give lists of bands with girls in them when you just look at musicians as musicians be they male or female. Personally I don't think the barriers you're talking about exist and I should know better than to argue with you but perhaps you could find some people who won't play in bands because they feel that as women they're not allowed or supposed to and we could take it from there?

If people did just look at them as "musicians", and there were no barriers, there would be n equal amount of male and female musicians. Do you seriously believe that unless there are legal restrictions there are no barriers?

Talking about sexism always results in vast wads of intellectual dishonesty or self delusion though, which is why it's such an uncomfortable subject.

Theo- Irene is the bass player in Sodb, Wound Upon Wound and a new band Okus.

GG- female musicians I've talked with have acknowledged that the barriers still exist, lots of guys in lots of scenes with really weird attitudes... particularly the metal scene. I get where you're doing, I just don't think I'd go about it in the same way... I don't have an alternative solution though, so fair play to ya, good luck with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back