Long Suffering Music Companies Finally Get Their Dues (1 Viewer)

Just read the abstract so "downloads have an effect on sales which is statistically indistinguishable from zero"

Pretty clear. So whether you agree with the paper or not I'm certainly not making anything up like you said I was.

You're taking a single source and presenting it as fact because it suits your argument which pretty much amounts to the same thing.

And the second hand record store comparison really doesn't hold any water for pretty obvious reasons.

mm please do explain causedoesnt seem that obvious to me, surely you're all about the artist getting paid for their work? Also I could mention t shirt vendors who don't give any money to bands or we could even go as far as to mention cover bands...since your original argument seemed to be about bands/artists music being used without monetary gain. Basically I can't see how you could be antifilesharing and not against those listed above.

It's a bit like computer games for the PC, the only games really coming out or are worthwhile for developers are multi player.....
Single player games are cracked every single time and you just have to go to any BT site etc and d/l 'em.
Why console games are far outselling the PC ones.
Multiplayer games on the other hand don't be cracked because to play online you need your personal key etc

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/7034320.stm
"The idea of that is that they'll then sell concert tickets and that's how they'll get the money back. Anything that's going to break the game up like that, I support it" ian brown.

Think this will be an interesting experiment to see if any of the bigger bands'll ever need a record company again. Record companies complaining about losing money is stupid, all they are is middle men selling someone else's art. Artist on the other hand just need to change they way they view their art. Is it a recording of a moment or the moment itself? ie a recording or a performace?
I always hate talking about making money from music cos I think once you start thinking about making money from it you've crossed a line where you start to worry what people think and what they want to listen to, then it's no longer about your enjoyment of the music but the paying public's. So you end up writing crap cos you think people'll love it and you need to get paid.

David Bowie once said that at the hight of his "Let's Dance" period he was making more money than ever before but he had to stop and reflect that although he was selling more records than ever before he hated the music he was making.

He said he still feels band about firing his musicians at the time, because he appreciated this was how they made a living, but he had to stop churning out the stuff he was unhappy with.

mm please do explain causedoesnt seem that obvious to me, surely you're all about the artist getting paid for their work? Also I could mention t shirt vendors who don't give any money to bands or we could even go as far as to mention cover bands...since your original argument seemed to be about bands/artists music being used without monetary gain. Basically I can't see how you could be antifilesharing and not against those listed above.

I already said several times that I'm not anti-filesharing and I have no problem whatsoever with allowing my own stuff to be used without any monetary gain. I was merely arguing that the wholesale lifting of music without offering anything back is wrong whether it's a major label or cottage industry. I have no idea why you might think I would be anti-cover bands. That's just ridiculous. And I couldn't give a flying fuck about t-shirts.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/7034320.stm
"The idea of that is that they'll then sell concert tickets and that's how they'll get the money back. Anything that's going to break the game up like that, I support it" ian brown.

heard about this one the radio only doable for bands like radiohead size and because its the first time theirs loads of talk hype about it it might work for them but next time no hype press etc may not turn out the same.i'd pay not to download them!!!

I was merely arguing that the wholesale lifting of music without offering anything back is wrong

but this whole discussion was based upon a woman who got fined a ridiculous amount of money for what was a very very small amount of songs downloaded. So i just still don't understand why you don't believe this to be wrong, you haven't made your point clearly, if your point is that people who do download music are offering nothing back surely the bootleg t shirt or second hand record store industry is a fair comparison. personally I think you've just fallen hook, line and sinker for the crap the anti downloading lobby spout. And if you're talking about what's wrong, why not complain about or discuss the deals the likes of sony bmg have made alongside clear channel to make many venues all over the states refuse to allow any bands that they don't make a profit off to perform. Or maybe you could discuss ticketmaster and thier overpriced charges, personally I think you are attacking the least blameworthy people involved in the 'music industry' the consumer.

And seriously go into hmv or tower records at any time during the day and tell me that the music industry isn't still making an insane profit margin...actually just in case your worried about em, for example Sony BMG made a a profit on 95 million on sales on 4.3 billion for the fiscal year ending March 31st 2007, Time Warner made 7362 million for fiscla year ending March 31st 2006, bless 'em.

Downloading will not kill the music industry just get rid of the fucking hacks:mad:

personally I think you've just fallen hook, line and sinker for the crap the anti downloading lobby spout. And if you're talking about what's wrong, why not complain about or discuss the deals the likes of sony bmg have made alongside clear channel to make many venues all over the states refuse to allow any bands that they don't make a profit off to perform. Or maybe you could discuss ticketmaster and thier overpriced charges, personally I think you are attacking the least blameworthy people involved in the 'music industry' the consumer.

And seriously go into hmv or tower records at any time during the day and tell me that the music industry isn't still making an insane profit margin...actually just in case your worried about em, for example Sony BMG made a a profit on 95 million on sales on 4.3 billion for the fiscal year ending March 31st 2007, Time Warner made 7362 million for fiscla year ending March 31st 2006, bless 'em.

Downloading will not kill the music industry just get rid of the fucking hacks:mad:

Okay so. I dont think I could actually be any more misconstrued than I already have so I'm gonna call this one a day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back