Long Suffering Music Companies Finally Get Their Dues (1 Viewer)

It's not about the music being heard. We hear music every advertising break on television don't we, and in shops, and on the radio. Does that add to our enjoyment of a song?

One acquaintance of mine uses Kazaa regularly. He's got hard-drives full of mp3's. He couldn't tell you the name of most of the artists/albums/songs.

At the end of the day, if you make it impossible for musicians to make any money out of making music many of them will stop doing it.

!bing!bing!bing!bing!bing!bing!bing
Total rubbish alert!!
!bing!bing!bing!bing!bing!bing!bing

It's not about the music being heard. We hear music every advertising break on television don't we, and in shops, and on the radio. Does that add to our enjoyment of a song?

One acquaintance of mine uses Kazaa regularly. He's got hard-drives full of mp3's. He couldn't tell you the name of most of the artists/albums/songs.

At the end of the day, if you make it impossible for musicians to make any money out of making music many of them will stop doing it.

So how have these people lost anything - someone who would not have bought the CD now has an MP3 he doesnt listen to.

No lost revenue, no opportunity cost, nothing. Artist finds it exactly as hard or easy to make music before you friend didn't listen to him as after.

If you read this in an artistic interpretation of the word music rather than what you're possibly using it as a short hand for mp3s, it seems rather startling.

I take it you mean the first "music" as mp3 and the second "music" in the artistic sense (?). Try swithching it around.

Could someone explain how it is wrong in moral rather than economic terms? I still feel that this is going to devolve into a "stealing is wrong" discussion.

No, I meant it in the artistic sense of the word first.

Ooh, this thread seems to be moving fast and thick, mormon already got to your shared music quote before me.

But still, reread over what you're saying out of context.

No, I meant it in the artistic sense of the word first.

Then isn't every time someone sits down to make or even play music when other people are around, "sharing". Or should I be looking for a different definition of sharing in more material terms.

just because record companies are almost invariably assholes does not give you carte blanche to share music.
the example of sharing/duplicating money earlier is not apt; a better example would be to ask were you willing to share your time and expertise for free.

i like photography. you can be damn sure i'd be pissed off if it was my primary means of earning a crust, and people acted surprised with me if i told them i'd rather they not share my photos with the world at large, without any financial recompense to me because "sharing is good".

jesus interesting thread here but what people who are so against music downloading don't seem to realise that the majority of music major label artists make is by playing live shows, gigging basically, and in my eyes isn't that what music should be about? So they lose some money on the records being downloaded, but mostly its the record companies losing. The attitude towards live performance has changed over the years, I was watching interviews with acts taking part in that 'hard working class heros festival' and one or two people interviewed said such stupid things as 'live gigging isn't important anymore, neither is putting out a demo, with myspace and other promotional sites the need to create a fanbase by gigging isn't there'. Now I'm fucking sorry but I thought that anybody who truly loves the music they create can think of nothing better than sharing it with other people at a live gig, if playing gigs is 'work' for people well maybe they should question why they are doing it.

Most people who are doing bands on very small scales barely break even, but so what, I have a job to earn money, music is my passion and i'll follow it irregardless.

Also in regards copyright, I am doing a huge article for the next 'The Devil On 45' about the amazing music that is available within the public domain, a lot of great stuff recorded by John Lomax in the 1930's. With things such a public domain and even filesharing the music itself stays alive. I have a great love for blues and alot of the rarer stuff is near impossible to get in any shape or form because labels who back in the 40's and 50's ripped off so many blues artists and paid them pittance for their songs now have complete copyright control and these great works stay stuck in some warehouse somewhere because it's not 'economically viable' to release them. When the rolling stones and cream and other bands of that ilk came around and there was a renewed interest in blues many of the artists who had been ripped off back in the 30's and 40's tried desperately to get the companies to allow them the rights to their own music, only to get a closed door and not even the right to release their own tunes. Some blues artists were wise enough to find ways around this, re-recording old songs with slightly changed chord structures and song titles.

And lastly don't think that just because someone doesn't agree with the music industry bringing people to court of even fucking jail over these downloaded files do not support the live music or bands. Im sitting here at my computer and behind me there is close to 1500 albums/singles on vinyl, but yet i still download mp3s, i guess thats what record companies get for creating such worthless formats such as cd. Vinyl is back on the increase (tower records anyone?) and maybe its time the 'industry' realised they need to offer something a bit more than a piece of fucking plastic.

Lastly I wonder anyone here who is against the downloading of mp3s, are you also against the idea of 2nd hand music stores, because surely the peope who run those stores are making a profit none of which goes to the actual music performer. Yes the record/cd was bout initially but they can be resold and resold many times, are these people as guilty as those who download mp3's? if so I guess ye all better stop shopping in road records, spindizzy, freebird, oh wait pretty much every decent music store in dublin just in case Paul McCartney doesnt earn another couple million this month..

jessus:mad:

Do you have to be pro-major label and anti-file sharing to have concerns about excessive file sharing? Coz I'm neither and I do have serious concerns.

Mormon, I dont mean any offence but you seem to have reached a conclusion first and then invented statistics to back it up. File sharing has seriously affected record sales across the board (indie labels are very much included in this) and while I agree that a new working model for the music industry is inevitable that does not make it open season on the existing model. That just doesnt make any sense.

And the second hand record store comparison really doesn't hold any water for pretty obvious reasons.

As your man from wilco once said; "you shouldn't punish your fans for listening to your music, without them you're nothing".

The arguement about downloading has fuck all to with music and everything to do with business imho.

FUCK THIS GHEY FUCKING THREAD, AS SOMEONE SAID EARLIER, IF GHEY LESBIAN FUCKS LISTEN TO TOTAL SHYTE MUSIC I HAVE NO FUCKING SYMPATHY, GREAT THING ABOUT PUNK FUCKING ROCK AND IT'S LESSER OFFSHOOTS IS THAT IT'S DIY FUCKING WHY, ALSO WHY SO MANY NON EIRECORE PEEPS ON THIS FORUM, DO THEY WANT TO0 BECOME PUNK ROCKERS??????

Hi.

just because record companies are almost invariably assholes does not give you carte blanche to share music.
the example of sharing/duplicating money earlier is not apt; a better example would be to ask were you willing to share your time and expertise for free.

i like photography. you can be damn sure i'd be pissed off if it was my primary means of earning a crust, and people acted surprised with me if i told them i'd rather they not share my photos with the world at large, without any financial recompense to me because "sharing is good".

Dunno I'm all in favour of the creative commons stuff, as long nobody is making money or changing my stuff without my permission I'm cool. Music is pretty much the same for me too.

It's just presented that way. I'm very much in favour of file sharing but folk gotta give something back. It's only fair.

We live in a (capitalist) society that's far from fair. I wish people would go to more gigs and that in return but unfortunately that's just not the case and suing people isn't going to change that.

At the end of the day I'd rather someone listened to the music I made without paying for it/knowing who it was than not listen to it at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back