Lighthouse cinema to reopen (1 Viewer)

yup this is well underway - they're building it in a void in the carpark in smithfield. stan and I have an auld look when we're heading to the car.

yeah, he just told us that. does it look nearly finished or will it be ages?

oh didn't bother to read the whole thread.
basically they have the steels in for the levels, and it looks like there may be 2 small cinemas because there's a massive supporting wall in the middle of it all which I would imagine being a slight obstruction to the screen if they kept it as one. I assume you'll enter it up top on the plaza but we can see it being built down on the -3 level. It's only really been started in the past 2-3 months so I'd imagine it's a good way off completion yet.

Even renting the 'IFI' for late nighters would be cool but I can't see them being into it. They did used to run a night club late there at one stage..

Being able to go to the cinema at two or three in the morning is the dream for me.

John Pierson is a hero for me. If only I had stuck out that arts management course.

Going by attendances for brilliant and obscure films at the ifi, you'd never be able to run a film house. Without serious advertising.

Going by attendances for brilliant and obscure films at the ifi, you'd never be able to run a film house. Without serious advertising.

Gotta agree. I just can't see how a four screen 'arthouse' cinema can survive-even in gentrified Smithfield. Unless they specialize in Chinese and gay/lesbian movies.

Anybody been?

I went with the gurlph today. Really liked it. The screen I was in was small with loads of different coloured seats. Was just us and a couple of auld wans. Saw XXY, about an Argentine hermaphrodite.

Bottle of coke was €1.50. Sloping rooves in the foyer area and big open spaces. Asked the guy at the popcorn place if it had been busy. Said it's dead during the week and kinda busy on the weekends.

Nice place though.

Anybody been?

I went with the gurlph today. Really liked it. The screen I was in was small with loads of different coloured seats. Was just us and a couple of auld wans. Saw XXY, about an Argentine hermaphrodite.

Bottle of coke was €1.50. Sloping rooves in the foyer area and big open spaces. Asked the guy at the popcorn place if it had been busy. Said it's dead during the week and kinda busy on the weekends.

Nice place though.

Looks great, in fairness.
http://www.lighthousecinema.ie/facilities/

What else is playing there?

Persepolis is opening on Friday. That looks great. They had The Diving Bell & The Butterfly, which is great.

Really hope it stays afloat. It's a bit out of the way. Stuff seems to be on quite early in the day, so hopefully studenty types will pick up the slack.

Asked the guy at the popcorn place if it had been busy. Said it's dead during the week and kinda busy on the weekends.
They're only open a week!

Yah, went to see Happy-Go-Lucky there last weekend. Fuckin' awesome. Got the new cinema smell and all. Maybe the cafe is a bit austere, and the sound in screen 4 was a wee bit dodge, but maybe that'll improve. Still, I'm gonna give this cinema a good go over the next while. It's so great to see the Lighthouse open again. Last film I saw there was Dead Man.

They're only open a week!

Yah, went to see Happy-Go-Lucky there last weekend. Fuckin' awesome. Got the new cinema smell and all. Maybe the cafe is a bit austere, and the sound in screen 4 was a wee bit dodge, but maybe that'll improve. Still, I'm gonna give this cinema a good go over the next while. It's so great to see the Lighthouse open again. Last film I saw there was Dead Man.

Right.
If you don't support these type of endeavours you can quit complaining about Dublin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back