laptop stuff (1 Viewer)

broken arm

i'm think about getting me one of these new laptops from dell

my question is: what is the dealio with "intel® CentrinoTM Mobile Technology up to Intel® Pentium® M 755 processors", are they good/bad?

and is just getting a 1yr collect and return asking for trouble?

dell hard drives seem to have a tendency to die after a while... himself and himself's brother got dell desktops at the same time (don't know how long ago though) and they both died there within a month of each other, terrible pain in the hole. i don't know anyting about the technical specs of them though.

Super Dexta said:
dell hard drives seem to have a tendency to die after a while... himself and himself's brother got dell desktops at the same time (don't know how long ago though) and they both died there within a month of each other, terrible pain in the hole. i don't know anyting about the technical specs of them though.
thats why im afraid of getting a 1yr collect and return jobby. But I don't even know what that covers i.e. if it fucks up does the 3yr one cover the cost of new parts or just the collecting and returning :confused:

apparently them centrino deelios are pretty good, the battery usage depends on the strain on the processor - so if youre only using Word, it wont be pumping through your power. its good if youre on the move with it all the time. thats all I know. ;)

i think the question is: what do you want to use it for?

if you just want a cheap but alright laptop - try a deskbook, they're thicker and heavier, but cheap with it. you can get reasonable bits off dell for less than a grand - try finding someone who gets the business discount, or perhaps a student one (i don't know if they do this one).

pentium M chips are low power, fast chips - a 1.6ghz M chip is the same as a 2ghz pentium 4 chip. or so i'm told. something to do with dual core or what have you.

perhaps you might think about an ibook. there's an he discount on that for sure.

the m stands for mobile, its nothing to do with speed increase they just use less power and are easier to cool. Its nothing got to do with dual core (intel dont manufacture dual core processors yet, perhaps hyperthreading is what you mean?). Centrino is cool and anybody buying a new laptop should consider it, wireless hotspots will be mainstream in cafés and restaurants so itd be nice to make use of it.
I agree with the harddrive fiasco, I upgraded mine and sold the original, it stopped working in that persons laptop after a couple of weeks. Toshiba laptops seem to be the best out there, dell second, and nothing else is worth the risk (especially compaq, theyre screens die really quickly).

the bongo said:
i think the question is: what do you want to use it for?
I'd be using it mostly for graphic/web design work and maybe some motion work. I already have a desktop (giving it to my da) so I really want a desktop replacement - and the 17inch monitor on the 9200 is a plus, I have a 19" at the mo. An ibook would be nice but I have a mac already :). If "a 1.6ghz M chip is the same as a 2ghz pentium 4 chip" that would be a slight drop in power but not much.

cheers, I think I'll go with it.

eoin5 said:
the m stands for mobile, its nothing to do with speed increase they just use less power and are easier to cool. Its nothing got to do with dual core (intel dont manufacture dual core processors yet, perhaps hyperthreading is what you mean?). Centrino is cool and anybody buying a new laptop should consider it, wireless hotspots will be mainstream in cafés and restaurants so itd be nice to make use of it.
I agree with the harddrive fiasco, I upgraded mine and sold the original, it stopped working in that persons laptop after a couple of weeks. Toshiba laptops seem to be the best out there, dell second, and nothing else is worth the risk (especially compaq, theyre screens die really quickly).

like yer man says, hyperthreading. word has though, that m processors are faster. i could be wildly mistaken though.

Do you not find that a laptop screen just too subtle for designing graphics? If I ever work from home on mine and then take the stuff into work the next day I end up changing things cos they look off colourwise on a normal monitor. So for that reason I refuse to have an lcd screen in work. Though presumably in the next few years that issue will become less and less of one, as more people move to LCD.

i got me one o' these a couple of months ago:

m30.jpg

toshiba m30 widescreen, for 1,899 expensive europes from www.bms.ie (nice people, shame about the website).

still in the process of working it all out, but so far it's been great. can't wait to finish all my crappy freelancing stuff and see what it's like for sound.

yes! When I get home from work I connect it to the broadband modem and then it sits on either my knee, or Neil's knee, all night. Then it gets tidied away in its own box at bedtime.

kirstie said:
cos they look off colourwise on a normal monitor.
yea, thats a constant hassle with clients moaning about colours because they are viewing it on a laptop or a dodgy LCD.

them: "hey, the webite looks great, really love what you have done. The only problem is the colour look different depending on where I am standing in the room. Can you fix that"

me "that may be because you are viewing it on a laptop. Are you viewing the site on a laptop? "

them "yes we are viewing it on a laptop but we want it to look the same on every screen"

me "Well that is not possible because (long explanation)"

them "oh this isn't good we may have to review the project with the marketing team"

me "grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr"

or the client who looks at what you've done on a laptop screen and wants it all 'brighter' so it looks clownshoes on a normal monitor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back