Land of the Dead (1 Viewer)

Dixer

Romero returns with Land of the Dead

Staff and agencies
Friday July 16, 2004

Veteran filmmaker and horror guru George A Romero will return to his cult zombie series for the first time in nearly two decades this autumn with Land of the Dead.
Romero launched the series in 1968 with Night of the Living Dead and followed it up 10 years later with the hugely popular and critically acclaimed Dawn of the Dead. Day of the Dead was the last instalment in 1985.

In Land of the Dead, which is rumoured to be budgeted below $20m and begins shooting later this year, humans flee the marauding armies of undead and set up a new community.

The story follows the trials and tribulations of a doughty band of survivors who inhabit a fortified city where class divides and internal politicking add to the obvious existing difficulties outside.

"People ask me why I've waited so long to do another Dead film," Romero is quoted as saying in Screendaily.com.

"I made one in the 60s, one in the 70s, one in the 80s. The only reason I missed the 90s is because I wanted to stay faithful to the tradition, while coming up with something new. I wanted to kick some ass. I hope I've done that now."

well, at least it sounds better than that rock band horror thing

Plot summary:Aria De Winter has been enlisted by Death himself to kill 365 people in one year. Hard task? Well, it helps when Aria is planning an historic concert for the Diamond Dead, the world's most famous underground rock band. It also helps that she's the ex-girlfriend of the lead singer of the band. It helps even more that the band members have been dead for over a year.

Summary written by Sanjay Nambiar

Aria De Winter is an aspiring singer seeking to join a popular underground rock band called Diamond Dead. However, she accidentally brings about the band's untimely demise; prompting her to make a deal with Death to bring them back. He does, the band is a success; but now, Aria has to kill 365 people as part of her deal. So she enlists the help of the band to set her plan in motion...

There's talk of getting real rock stars to be in it, including marylin manson

Ed said:
Plot summary:Aria De Winter has been enlisted by Death himself to kill 365 people in one year. Hard task? Well, it helps when Aria is planning an historic concert for the Diamond Dead, the world's most famous underground rock band. It also helps that she's the ex-girlfriend of the lead singer of the band. It helps even more that the band members have been dead for over a year.

Summary written by Sanjay Nambiar

Aria De Winter is an aspiring singer seeking to join a popular underground rock band called Diamond Dead. However, she accidentally brings about the band's untimely demise; prompting her to make a deal with Death to bring them back. He does, the band is a success; but now, Aria has to kill 365 people as part of her deal. So she enlists the help of the band to set her plan in motion...

There's talk of getting real rock stars to be in it, including marylin manson
Bruiser had real rock stars in it too. Well, the Misfits and, oh yeah, that sucked big ol' doggy hole too. When was Romero's last decent picture?

this is deadly, so hopefully it actually goes ahead. was watching the night of the living dead remake last night, it's good in some ways.. i think they got the zombie make-up right and candyman is deadly as ben, but the way it's actually shot makes it look like a tv movie and the score is awful. such a wasted opportunity.

judging by romero's last couple of films i wouldn't hold a lot of hope for this. bleeder was a huge disappointment and dark half was no different to any other stephen king adaptation. last decent film he had any involvement in was two evil eyes and that was the late 80's as far as i remember. anyone ever see monkey shines?? its about a monkey.

that other thing, the diamond dead, could quite possibly end up being the 'wild wild west' of horror films

i cant fuckin WAIT for this. sweet.

monkey shines is fuckin brilliant!!! greatest plot line ever, killer monkey! bizarre shit. Dark Half was fuckin awful.. but did ye ever see The Crazies? Martin? cool movies.

i dont think romero was really bothered. I always got the impression from the website that a fourth undead film was what he was aiming for. hopefully it'll live up to my expectations.

Alan Remorse said:
i cant fuckin WAIT for this. sweet.

monkey shines is fuckin brilliant!!! greatest plot line ever, killer monkey! bizarre shit. Dark Half was fuckin awful.. but did ye ever see The Crazies? Martin? cool movies.

i dont think romero was really bothered. I always got the impression from the website that a fourth undead film was what he was aiming for. hopefully it'll live up to my expectations.
The Crazies and Martin .|..| .|..|
Season of The Witch aka Jack's Wife not bad too

whats with the terrible spelling in the piece? still though, this sounds so fuckin deadly, i cant wait.

zombie 2 is so bloody overrated, nice eye gouging but fulci was the master of pants (as was every other italian splatter director).

just got a copy of the dead next door on DVD (finally), class movie!

and whats this about a tobe hooper remake of the toolbox murders?!?!? i never heard about this. i wonder if they got away with having the nailgun scene in this day and age.

Alan Remorse said:
and whats this about a tobe hooper remake of the toolbox murders?!?!? i never heard about this. i wonder if they got away with having the nailgun scene in this day and age.
the toolbox murders is deadly!! one of the only movies i can see real justification for banning. the first 20 minutes are really disturbing, no dialogue apart from the dude's humming as he goes from apartment to apartment. and that weird country score!

the copy i have is totally cut though

yeah, its good for the first half but kinda gets a bit slow. that nailgun part is sick but i dunno, i've definitely seen worse (even tho i have the uncut one). If you want the brutal stuff you should really check out these movies:

"The Untold Story"
"Buio Omega (Beyond The Darkness)"
"Flower Of Flesh And Blood"
"Men Behind The Sun"
"Evil Dead Trap"
"Cannibal Holocaust"

thats all i can think of... sick stuff tho....

ha david hess... what a guy. surely no one else has played as many complete psycho rapists as that man? hitch hike is a pile of shite tho.

yeah, i prefer cannibal holocaust to ferox... that part with the girl getting hanged by hooks is sick!!!!

real animal violence tho

Alan Remorse said:
ha david hess... what a guy. surely no one else has played as many complete psycho rapists as that man? hitch hike is a pile of shite tho.
you didn't like Hitch-Hike - I thought it was great. could have done without the Arabic subtitles (good old Midnight Video)

But Film Four showed it a couple of months back with a doc as well and The Hitcher all on the same night . Great viewing.|..|

only €8 on DVD in HMV - probably gone by now

yeah, that's why i didnt really like Hitch Hike.... THe Hitcher is one of the greatest thrillers ever made (FACT), and compared to that masterpiece, Hitch Hike is pretty dull all round. Hitch Hike was actually the first Hess movie i ever saw, so maybe i'd like it a bit more now with a bit more perspective.

speaking of cannibal ferox, here's a funny story: the script originally called for star John Morghen to stab a real pig to death on camera, to which he point blank refused. When director Umberto Lenzi told him that "Robert De Niro would do it," Morghen screamed "Robert De Niro would kick your ass all the way back to Rome!!" and stormed off the set, never to return. brilliant.

Knight Riders is the best Romero, it's about not selling out! punk as fuck.

Alan Remorse said:
yeah, that's why i didnt really like Hitch Hike.... THe Hitcher is one of the greatest thrillers ever made (FACT), and compared to that masterpiece, Hitch Hike is pretty dull all round. Hitch Hike was actually the first Hess movie i ever saw, so maybe i'd like it a bit more now with a bit more perspective.

speaking of cannibal ferox, here's a funny story: the script originally called for star John Morghen to stab a real pig to death on camera, to which he point blank refused. When director Umberto Lenzi told him that "Robert De Niro would do it," Morghen screamed "Robert De Niro would kick your ass all the way back to Rome!!" and stormed off the set, never to return. brilliant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back