Krautrock (1 Viewer)

Gambra

Anarchic Harmonics
Website
www.noisenotmusic.org
Can, Neu!, Kraftwerk, Amon Duul II, Tangerine Dream, Faust, Brain Ticket etc.

The most influential musical genre of all time?? (Kraftwerk especially)
Discuss.

certainly one of the most interesting and rewarding:
can "tago mago", "monster movie"
faust first album, "so far", "...tapes", "IV"
brainticket "cottonwoodhill"
neu! first album
xhol caravan "motherfuckers gmbh & co"
sand "golem"
kraftwerk first album
amon duul II "yeti"
fritz muller "kommt"
guru guru "hinten"
ash ra temple "schwingungen"
...all incredible works which remain absolutely perfect and unparalleled.

i think of that "scene", kraftwerk are without doubt the most overrated, and known alas for their most uninteresting work (i.m.h.o.). can's "tago mago" and brainticket's "cottonwood hill" are such amazing, fucking mind-blowing pieces of music.

Neu! are probably my most favourite band from them all.. And as for Kraftwerk being overated?? Not a chance.. Without them, most electronic music today would not have happened.

personally, i dont much like the whole robots kraftwerk stuff, and they are so much more well known than a lot of truely amazing german experimental music. kraftwerk are incredibly well known, but i am still surprised at how many people arent aware of can or faust, never mind brainticket, xhol or sand...

oh god, i forgot to mention - though its not really "rock" - holgar czukay's "canaxis" album. absolutely breathtaking.

dont suppose anyones made up or wants to make a compilation. You can find fuck all around town just can and some faust.

this is very strange indeed..
just yesterday i was about to start an identical thread.
but what i wanted to know was are there any decent "modern kraut bands"?

Heres a good start for some extra stuff, its Jullian Cope's famous Krautrock Sampler Top 50
http://rateyourmusic.com/list/groon...top_50_albums_compiled_by_writer_julian_cope/

Theres a boot leg label by the name of Spalax that release a lot of stuff, there based out of France, you'll find them on Forced Exposure i'm sure. not mentioned is Maneul Göttsching's "E2-E4" its worth checking out ,its proto Detroit Techno, played alot by Larry Levan back in the day. Along the same lines is the Klaus Schulze stuff both of them where in Ash Ra Temple and Cosmic Jokers, who have also some great releases.
Can are legends and my personal favs, and Ege Bamyasi is the one getting heavy rotation these days.
La Dusseldorf and Harmonia are kind of spin offs of Neu/Kraftwerk/Cluster and i picked there stuff pretty cheap off e-bay, under 20notes.
"Zuckerzeit" by Cluster is pretty expensive but its bloody brilliant.

as for influence its undeniable from, the post punk no wave tape swapping experiments of the late 70's early 80's, to labels like Kompakt and Cosmic Disco, which is having a massive revival, Baldelli used to spin lots of records off the Sky Label.

hasselhoff.jpg

Fur Immer is the best Neu! tune methinks (on Neu! 2)

Also, Cluster and Harmonia are probably my favourites.

Modern stuff... Stereolab (especially Transient Noise Bursts and Announcements), Circle (sometimes) and Fly Pan Am. Probably much more.

We need to talk to Photon and Cyclotron for the real lo-down.

Neu - Kraftwerk...they're all the same guys.
Micheal Rother was in Kraftwerk for the first album or two right?

There's that Julian Cope website that has LOADS of information/resources on Krautrock.

The best Modern Krautrock*:
http://www.myspace.com/indioseletronicos

*Although thats stretching it as they and the aforementioned are not frigging German are they!!!

Worst Krautcock: Tangerine Dream

as b.c. said, very rewarding genre indeed. love faust especially. saw 'em some years ago. pretty memorable show to say the least...

I always wondered though.. do germans find the phrase "krautrock" insulting at all? it strikes me that if there were some irish musical movement, it'd be like calling "mickrock" or something.. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back