Kieran Hebden & Steve Reid (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter ron
  • Start date
  • Replies 9
  • Views 987
  • Watchers 2

ron

Anyone heard Tongues and Exchange Sessions vols 1 & 2?

I got Tongues on the strength of hearing the first track, which is great, but the rest is not that good. The idea is good, but it lacks tunes. I'd never heard of Steve Reid before - but there's no "amazing" drumming that I can decipher - most of it sounds like someone falling over a drumkit.

I got Tongues on the strength of hearing the first track, which is great, but the rest is not that good. The idea is good, but it lacks tunes. I'd never heard of Steve Reid before - but there's no "amazing" drumming that I can decipher - most of it sounds like someone falling over a drumkit.

Steve Reid is a master drummer. Thats not just my opinion.. thats the godamn truth! Studied in Africa.. played with Sun Ra, James Brown.. is on the original version of Dancing In The Street.. freejazz hero... did time for consciencious objection during vietnam..started his own private label in the 70s, I think the Steve Reid and Kieran Hebden albums are among the best of the last few years

Hmm, Maybe it's just what Hebden did with it - I know it was all recorded live and stuff. But I was sorely disappointed with the drums. Don't get me wrong,, I was looking forward to hearing this collaboration, I really like Hebden's stuff. What Reid stuff do you recommend I should check out?

they seem to be milkin that collab for all its worth - there's been what, 3 albums so far?

that's bollox, you might as well say Radiohead are milking the whole band thing with their 6 or 7 albums...

the first two exchange records are probably the best, just total free freaky shit. I think Steve comes off the better of the whole thing as it can feel like Kieran is just turning his effects on and off at times, but the drumming is so amazing it manages to carry the records anyhow.

Tounges has some moments, but I don't think the shorter "song based" idea behind it worked. By it's nature, IMHO, this type of rthymical, improvised music needs longer formats to spread itself out and find it's groove... a lot of the Exchange stuff only starts getting interesting 5 mintues in like

(christ I sould like a tosser)

Hmm, Maybe it's just what Hebden did with it - I know it was all recorded live and stuff. But I was sorely disappointed with the drums.

I think Steve defintely stuggles on tounges, like I said above he never seems to find his pace and when he does Kieran presses the "spaz-out" button and Steve is playing catch up again.

All IMHO opinion obviously

I still really enjoy all three albums though

saw the two of them play last week and haven't heard any of the records yet
found it really enjoyable and the two of them seemed to be having great fun

there were moments when i was wondering was there a hint of improv or just "catch up" as stated above

Saw them at roskilde last year, walked in about ten minutes into their set as people were spilling out in droves. Stayed for about ten minutes. Didn't get it at all. Seemed like hebden would play something loud and spazzy for a few seconds and reid would try to find a rhythm and then it'd go quiet for a few seconds and then.... Over and over.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back