Kid Harpoon / Frightened Rabbit this Saturday in CrawDaddy (1 Viewer)

miguel_myriad

Kid Harpoon, who will be supporting The Kooks, later this spring comes to Dublin for a joint headline show. With his 'Second EP' coming out this month, Kid Harpoon is signed to XL Recordings (home of Radiohead, White Stripes, M.I.A. and Adele)

Glaswegian trio who release their new album 'Midnight Organ Flight' this spring which was recorded by Peter Katis (Mercury Rev, Interpol). Fat Cat act also (the original home to Sigur Ros and current one to Mum).

POD Concerts presents
FRIGHTENED RABBIT / KID HARPOON

Saturday February 23rd
CrawDaddy – Harcourt St – Dublin 2.
Doors – 8pm

Tickets €12.25 (inc. booking fee) available from Ticketmaster, Road Records, City Discs, Sound Cellar and usual outlets. www.ticketmaster.ie

www.frightenedrabbit.com
www.myspace.com/frightenedrabbit
www.kidharpoon.com
www.myspace.com/kidharpoon

IRISH TOUR

20 Feb – Speakeasy, Belfast, Ireland
21 Feb – Roisin Dubh, Galway, Ireland
22 Feb - Cyprus Avenue, Cork, Ireland

KID HARPOON
"A passionate troubadour with more heart than a lion on heat"
NME

"Beautifully lyrical songs that defy being pigeonholed…in a league of his own"
The Independent On Sunday

Following on from his critically acclaimed 'The First EP' comes this second set of songs from Kid Harpoon called 'The Second EP.' Some people may think that releasing 12 songs before an album is risky, but not so for this singer/songwriter – Kid Harpoon has over 200 songs at his disposal which he has written in less than two years. As well as this, Kid Harpoon has been slaying audiences with his band 'The Powers That Be' on the recent We Are Scientists tour.

Opening with the brisk, quick-sharp strumming of 'Riverside' it finds Kid Harpoon at his most frenetic yet, ending off with a pummeling outro as razor-tinged guitar collides alongside pounding drums.

As was evidenced on 'The First EP', there are a trio of songs here, 'Fathers And Sons', 'Suicide Grandad?' and 'In The Dark' – all part produced by Kid Harpoon himself - that show him as an introspective songsmith whose lyrics bristle with imagery and regret. 'Fathers And Sons', with its shuffling drums, sees Kid Harpoon declaring, "Moments of memory are fading from view /I'm through with my sickening images of you/ It's time to admit that this love's just a game," while 'Suicide Grandad?' speaks of "Hunting out the reaper/Painting a portrait of myself / With white lines and white flags."

The lightest moment on the EP comes in the form of 'Her Body Sways' with its folk-tinged guitar introand twinkling piano backdrop which mutates into a jaunty, barroom sing-along about "ladies of the night. / Passing time, making wine" The EP ends with 'Lay Of The Land', a heartfelt, gorgeously fragile rendition about the break-up of a relationship. Over gentle acoustic strumming, Kid Harpoon pleads, "I did what I had to do / I was sorry when I saw your point of view / But I hope that in time / You'll see mine."

FRIGHTENED RABBIT

This past year has seen Frightened Rabbit finally step into public view, with widespread touring and their acclaimed debut LP 'Sing The Greys' made widely available in a revised and significantly revamped form. Following just six months in tow of the 'Sing The Greys', 'Midnight Organ Fight' is nonethless a very different beast. A progression both in terms of songwriting and sonic depth, the majority of songs on their debut were written sporadically over a two year period, whereas 'Midnight…' was conceived over a much shorter period, with the band spending much longer in preparation for the recordings themselves. This renewed sense of focus shows in the detail and general completeness of the album, a transcendental pop record that rewards each further listen . Scott Rabbit concurs: 'I think it gives it a very tangible sense of a certain time in my life, allowing the album to feel like a rounded whole as opposed to a selection of songs'.

An unconventional three-piece with a defined personality, and a gift for being able to nail a near perfect pop song, Frightened Rabbit convey candid tales of ordinary folk with a wry, acerbic wit via an eloquent, emotive, modern garage-pop aesthetic.

Comprising Scott (vocals, guitar), Billy (guitar, keys), and Grant (Drums, vocals), the origins of the band are rooted in 2003, when Scott began playing solo shows under the name Frightened Rabbit, with his brother Grant joining in 2004, and Billy completing the line-up in 2006. Lyrically ranging from incisive social commentary, to lucid, humourous explorations of interpersonal relationships, Scott's songs are essentially folk-tinged pop songs with more fervent ambitions. Somewhat atypically there is no bass, but crucially nothing is missing; Billy's second guitar augments or bolsters Scott's guitar/vocal hub, or drops an octave to add weight or bottom end. Grant's drum patterns are alternately or simultaneously physical and adroit, adding accent and eloquence to the score. But primarily, Frightened Rabbit is so much more than a sum of these parts, the band combining together to form something complete, singular and life-affirming.

Recorded by Peter Katis (Mercury Rev, Interpol) over the space of two weeks, and mixed over the ensuing fortnight, 'Midnight…' was written with the intention of creating a more 'pop' sounding album. Yet although musically more immediate, vitally, the band have not forsaken the personality or passion of any of their earlier recordings. Scott Rabbit expands: 'I feel the general FR weirdness is still apparent in the lyrics and this makes for an interesting sort of juxtaposition. It sounds kind of clean, but its actually pretty fucking dirty once you get listening. Saying that, i hope all the reasons why people loved Frightened Rabbit in the first place are still there, only they may have been amplified somewhat'.

An incredibly accomplished live outfit, seemingly without any effort whatsoever, their performances at times recall the ragged, muscular energy of emo/punk three pieces such as early Sebadoh or Mission Of Burma, but Frightened Rabbit's ouvre nevertheless harbours a far more universal agenda. Recently playing dates such as Glasgow's Connect Festival, as well as support slots with the likes of Idlewild, they are about to extend their CV with solo shows and supports with We Are Scientists throughout November and December. Thereafter, full European and US tours are planned for the release of the forthcoming album.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back