JohnnyStress on Telly (1 Viewer)

Aw boss, it was fuckin amazing, you'll never believe how good it was. You should start agitating for a 32 county Republic and you'd be grand.

gerry_80848t.jpg

1)Oh my I never thought that would come out of your mouth, maybe some of the others....
2)New age/DIY Punks prove that wrong too....unless you were referring to '77 Punks?

Why is it so surprising? I think what's more surprising is most people's abilty to brush the things they don't like about the scene they associate with under the carpet.

Why is it so surprising? I think what's more surprising is most people's abilty to brush the things they don't like about the scene they associate with under the carpet.
I was not talking about "brushing things under the carpet" but the effect British Punk had on a whole when it burst onto the scene, peoples lives/views/media sure it's effected so many things now in everyday life that are not Punk even.

Considering the non effect of any sort it had on the vast vast majority of people I've ever met who would have been the right age when punk "exploded" on the scene,no, I don't think it's had much of an impact. I'm talking about the real world.

its surprising cause i thought you were at least fairly knowledgable on the subject, im under no illusions about faults within the punk scene
by the way

Maybe I am knoledgable,maybe by default of being around a while maybe because punk is something I like. But,I don't claim to be an expert or anything. I just think when you get into something,and it could be punk/rockabilly/train spotting/war re-enactments or whatever,it's very easy to think it's had more of an impact than it has. I just reckon if you disregard any love and knowledge you have of punk and look at it from an outside point of view,it's probably had about as much impact as coffee shops.
Someone conduct a survey on punk by walking up to random mid to late 40 year olds and ask them how important was punk to the world. Then ask them how important a sliced pan is.

The biggest impact punk has had on my own culture and the broader one of my friends et al has been the D.I.Y. ethos. Writing, recording, selling, trading, gigging music ourselves, largely for ourselves. The genres of music may vary, (I make dodgy electro-folk) but the underlying culture, to create music/stories/art/wank for ourselves is common to most of my friends and to a huge amount of people in Dublin and the rest of this rain sodden island. The suspicion of authority that is a part of our national culture goes well with punk's larger, more global questioning and prodding of authority. The original punk aesthetic has inspired and replenished fashions for decades. One could say that all of these possible impacts of punk have been long since co-opted by the forces they originally railed against but I dunno. I've met alot of punks I've like and some others I've hated because of their intolerance of all they perceive not to be 'punk'. Looking down your nose at someone because of how they dress or the records they listen to etc. is fucking pathetic.

Let's use illustrations to help.

http://xkcd.com/341/

From looking at this series of comics, it would seem that some key people involved in the development of torrents and opensource have been influenced by amongst other things, riot grrl and DIY. I'd say its pretty hard to find anyone who would say that downloading and opensource hasn't and isn't currently profoundly affecting the music industry and the world around us.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back